The edit-able house thread

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Re: The edit-able house thread

Post by Jizaboz »

Ah you actually have floor heat vents! I've got baseboard electric heaters and ancient AC only central air that blows cold air down from the ceiling.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

There were three or four must-haves when we were house shopping: gas heat, central air, no stairs ( or very few), two car garage, quiet crime free area. Everything else is a bonus.

THE
CRITERIA
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:45 pm Ah you actually have floor heat vents! I've got baseboard electric heaters and ancient AC only central air that blows cold air down from the ceiling.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since heat rises and cold falls, Iwould think this would be more efficient, as the cold air would cool the hottest part of the room first, and the hot air would heat the coldest part.
AArdvark wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:49 amThere were three or four must-haves when we were house shopping: gas heat, central air, no stairs ( or very few), two car garage, quiet crime free area. Everything else is a bonus.
If you think that's much of a requirement, back in the '70s and '80s, there were three local phone companies in Southern California. First was Pacific Telephone, the local Bell company; second was General Telephone of Califonia, an independent telephone company and part of GTE the largest non-bell telephone company in the country; and Continental Telephone, who covered small rural areas.

General Telephone covered some smaller cities like Long Beach and Santa Monica; Pacific had most of the larger ones like LA and San Diego. General Telephone wasn't a very good company. The California Public Utilities Commission once referred to General Telephone as "the worst telephone company in America, bar none." The company was aware of its (bad) reputation; if you go on YouTube and search for General Telephone commercial, you'll find one apparently from the '80s or '80s where a man in a suit says he's from General Telephone, whereupon the off-screen auudience boos, and pelts him with raw eggs and other things, as he explains the company is spending millions to upgrade its equipment.

Back then, real estate agents in Southern California routinely got this demand from home buyers ahead of everything else: "Don't show us any homes in GTE territory." Even Watts or Compton were better choices, as they were served by Pacific Telephone.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

We ditched our landline when we moved. Had enough of internet+phone+cable prices.

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

'Vark, I kinda want to physically harm you right now, what you ripped out, I would have loved to have =L Alas, alack. Your work looks amazing though.
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What, the tiki bar in the basement?

Glad to see you back here on Jolt Country!

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

'Vark I've been living at a house in pretty crappy shape for the past 10 years. Annoyances including torn up linoleum, particleboard cupboards that were missing some facings, and others were cracked, cracked linoleum tiles in the upstairs bathroom (that has a step up to the tub in an awkward place for plumbing that has access through a HOLE IN THE FLOOR), and a downstairs half bath that has butterscotch porcelain, among many many other less aesthetic issues. =L
So, no, not the tiki bar so much as your whole kitchen that had actual tiles, and way nicer cabinets and counter than we have, your bathroom that though fitted with a cheap bath fitter thing (ours also has cheap bath fitter thing that has way yellowed with age) was one level with your tub... etc... but the new things you chose were also lovely, and your work looks nice, and I enjoy your Far side touch to your laundry room.
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

If it will make you feel any better we can ask Tdarcos to take a picture of his living arrangement.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Gotta put in the shoe trim yet but that's all the knees will take for today. Looking like a real room now. That's the cat door to the basement in the corner. Now it's beginning to look a lot like cocktails!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This year's home improvement projects are:

Paint the foundation

Install screens on the French doors

It's a short list. I have an idea for the foundation. It's based on a set painting class my boy attended while getting his theater degree at Brockport.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Dunno..kinda looks cartoony or something might paint it over

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Huh, from fifteen feet away it looks pretty good

pinback

Post by pinback »

I feel like if I head-butted it hard enough, a coin would come out.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Would you agree that it's much more interesting than a plain gray wall?

THE
SUPER MARIO
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Scene-painting techniques are always meant for viewing from a good 30 feet. Let it weather some and I think it'll look nice. You could also try some dry-brush/sponge-paint to try and remove the uniformity but test that on a piece of plywood first, obviously.

%100 better than flat-grey even IF everyone knows it's paint.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Update! Painting the dining room and hallway area. It's been six years already and this is the fall house project

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This year's home improvement projects are kinda low key.

1) Run electricity to the decorative fence by the driveway turnaround so I can eliminate the extension cord.

Like this:

Drill a hole thru the garage foundation, dig a fifty three foot ditch, dig a two foot hole at one end of the ditch, install that gray PVC condiut stuff, cement a pressure treated board in the two foot hole, run some wires thru the condit, install a couple outdoor electricial boxes, hook up all the wires, have a reward drink.

2) install a hose faucet behind the house. The old one was leaking and the previous owners were morons!*

Like this:

Drill a hole thru the foundation, solder a bunch of copper pipes together, attach a spigot (its called a sillpipe or something like that at the hardware store), solder a bunch more copper pipes together, turn off the water, solder a bunch of copper pipes together, check for drips, repeat the last three steps until all drips have stopped, have a reward drink.

Theres a couple other things but these are the main ones.

*The last owners put up drywall over the shutoff valve so there was no qay to turn the water off inside without breaking down a wall like the kool- aid man

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »