The edit-able house thread

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Yeah, we're all on the same page...

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Update! The laundry room floor is in. I had to have my guy come and install it because I just can't use my knees like I used to. I'm doing the baseboards and door frames tho.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Wow man, looks super nice!

We just had the carpet pulled out of the back living room and replaced with "wood" flooring. Susan waited until the flooring was on sale and got it pretty cheap from Home Depot. Installation was $400. That included moving all the furniture out of the room, installing the flooring, adjusting the baseboards... and the guy did everything in one day. I watched him work for a bit (I find watching others work quite enjoyable) and it was amazing. It would have taken me a month and a few dozen trips back to the store to put that flooring in. (Who knew the boards all go in the same direction?) Best $400 I ever spent. The room looks fantastic and my knees feel great.

I love it that the "cat fud" stayed -- I thought that was temporary until the new flooring was put in! It's the little things that make me smile the most. Well, that and cheesecake.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

CO

Post by CO »

Flack wrote:Wow man, looks super nice!

We just had the carpet pulled out of the back living room and replaced with "wood" flooring. Susan waited until the flooring was on sale and got it pretty cheap from Home Depot. Installation was $400. That included moving all the furniture out of the room, installing the flooring, adjusting the baseboards... and the guy did everything in one day. I watched him work for a bit (I find watching others work quite enjoyable) and it was amazing. It would have taken me a month and a few dozen trips back to the store to put that flooring in. (Who knew the boards all go in the same direction?) Best $400 I ever spent. The room looks fantastic and my knees feel great.

I love it that the "cat fud" stayed -- I thought that was temporary until the new flooring was put in! It's the little things that make me smile the most. Well, that and cheesecake.
I'm about to attempt this project myself, replacing the carpet in one of our apartment's bedrooms with vinyl floor. The home depot guy tried to upsell me to Pergo for $2.76 per sqft but I went with the lesser brand for $1.70/sqft. I don't really care how nice it is, I just need to get the carpet out because of the wife's allergies. I got a bunch of quotes for the installation, ranging from $1.50/sqft to estimates of $400 - $600 flat rate for a tiny 150sqft bedroom. I looked into Home Depot's services but they seemed to be kind of a pain in the ass, they needed to schedule time to come out before giving an estimate and then were scheduling work for several weeks away. In the end I decided to be cheap and do it myself so we'll see how it goes. This will be my new years day project, not much else to do that day so why not take the time.

Flack

Post by Flack »

They sent somebody out to measure the room. According to them, a lot of customers measure incorrectly and don't buy enough flooring to cover the area. My wife and I primarily work from home, so it was no big deal for us to let them come out.

The room we had done was 12x10, with an attached 8' hallway and a small triangle area next to the back door. The minute the installer unloaded his table saw and started cutting pieces of wood, I knew we had made the right decision (for us).

We paid $1k ($600 for the flooring and $400 for the install) but we were able to take about $50 worth of leftover material back and we got a $25 credit for moving our own furniture back and forth, so the overall price was closer to $900. I envy people like Aardvark who are able to do this stuff by themselves. If I had tried, I would have ended up with $900 worth of splinters.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

CO

Post by CO »

CO wrote: the wife
should have added #FUVitriola or something about this. Wow, was she a bitch about that.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Floor looks great Rob! DIY helps if you have lots of practice. The house where I grew up, and the last house in the city where I lived had LOTS of renovations. Many of those looked like the Three Stooges did the work.

CO, why are you installing a floor in an apartment you don't own? isn't that a landlord responsibility?

THE
I DISLIKED HER APARTMENT
SO I KNOCKED HER FLAT
AARDVARK

CO

Post by CO »

AArdvark wrote:CO, why are you installing a floor in an apartment you don't own? isn't that a landlord responsibility?

THE
I DISLIKED HER APARTMENT
SO I KNOCKED HER FLAT
AARDVARK
good question, in my 20 years of renting in various cities I've learned that every landlord is a slumlord and there's no way they'll pay for anything i want or need outside of the bare minimum required by law. Here in the bay area, rents are so high that another $350 here or there makes little difference. With $2k per month rent over an hour away from where all the jobs are, it's just not worth the hassle to fight for something that i know they won't do. I've been through renters court and seen how it's completely stacked in the owners favor. I'm paying for my own air duct cleaning as well, fuck it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

CO, move back to Rochester.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

CO

Post by CO »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:CO, move back to Rochester.
no software sales jobs there, unfortunately. Plus i hate snow.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Update! Ripping out the basement bathroom, or at least the ancient vanity and ceiling. I had to put numerous holes in the ceiling drywall to get to the kitchen plumbing. Might as well pull it all down and redo it right. I have to have a couple access doors so I can get to the shutoffs so I'll make up a Munster-like trap door in the ceiling and one in the wall. Maybe label it 'monsters in here' or something. I did find more of that really funky Seventies wallpaper they had down here. I feel the urge to disco!

THE
KC AND THE SUNSHINE
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:I did find more of that really funky Seventies wallpaper they had down here. I feel the urge to disco!
It reminded me of the game play from QIX.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Update: Hanging drywall in the basement bathroom. Boy what fun.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

With an approach like that, it really is the porcelain throne!
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote:With an approach like that, it really is the porcelain throne!
Hahaha I was thinking the same. Looks like something from a movie set.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Wonder if I could make it look like a transporter room or something.

I dunno. It has possibilities, just don't know what yet.

THE
CAPTAIN'S LOG
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:CO, why are you installing a floor in an apartment you don't own? isn't that a landlord responsibility?
Typically this was in residential properties. In commercial properties it is common practice for the tenant - a merchant or office - to spend thousands or tens of thousands for remodeling, changing fixtures or installing new wiring where the place lacks adequate wiring for, say, gigabit Ethernet, or lacks Ethernet wall sockets, and think nothing of it.

It could be residential tenants are beginning to have to think like commercial ones.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

CO

Post by CO »

Tdarcos wrote:It could be residential tenants are beginning to have to think like commercial ones.
Not sure if it's a trend but i for one am sick of fighting these damn slumlords about everything. Here's the battles I fought, won and lost:
- Alarm System install - before there were wireless options you needed landlord permission to have a security system installed. After a break-in in Rochester's southwedge neighborhood, I fought my landlord for right to install a system - Lost (landlords 1, me 0)

- Solid wood door - after a break-in in Rochester's corn hill neighborhood, I fought my landlord for 6 months to replace the flimsy front door with a solid one which could handle a deadbolt. The existing door had a lock that could be popped with a butter knife so legally I was right to demand this. I had to resort to withholding rent for months at a time before the asshole relented - I'm talking to you John Tricky of Rochester NY you cheap slumlord fuck - Won (landlords 1, me 1)

- Code violations and illegal upstairs roomates - Went to Rochester's special rental code enforcement department to demand the landlord bring the unit up to code and evict some tenants illegally living in the attic. Code enforcement did the trick but landlord retaliated by evicting me (which is illegal but shows how landlord tenant court is stacked in their favor) - Lost (landlords 2, me 1)

Its simply not worth the pain of fighting these cheap fucks over a few hundred dollars.

AArdvark

Re: The edit-able house thread

Post by AArdvark »

Update! haven't had the time off or the urge to finish the basement bathroom. It's because I know that no matter how much time and money I put into the room it will still be sitting in the dark 95% of the time. Because I have this week off and a little disposable cash I'm working on the vanity. I found this old dresser for sale on the side of the road last summer. Fifty bucks! So I took it home and painted it black. Now i just dropped a sink into it and viola.. it's a vanity! I seen a guy do this a few years ago when we were house hunting and I thought it was cool so here I am.

THE
COPYCAT COOL
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Re: The edit-able house thread

Post by AArdvark »

ps: When I attacked it with the saber saw I could smell grandma's underwear. I wish I was kidding.

THE
SACHET
AARDVARK