The edit-able house thread

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: The edit-able house thread

Post by AArdvark »

Because its a nice day and after reading Flack's blog post, I hadda bust out with Suzi Quattro and powerwash the house

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Borrowed my brother's jack hammer and removed the front step. It's what you do while on vacation.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Im going to carve presidents' faces in there!

THE
GUTZON BORGLUM
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:27 pm Because its a nice day and after reading Flack's blog post, I hadda bust out with Suzi Quattro and powerwash the house
"And so it begins, foolishly layin' our equipment on the concrete, and stumblin' in..."
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I didn't notice until after I'd posted or I'd have tacked this onto the previous one.
AArdvark wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:19 pmBorrowed my brother's jack hammer and removed the front step. It's what you do while on vacation.
"Vacation, all I ever wanted / Vacation, had to get away..."
— The Go-Go's
AArdvark wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:20 pm Im going to carve presidents' faces in there!

THE
GUTZON BORGLUM
AARDVARK
Just curious, did you remember who designed Mount Rushmore or did you have to look it up?
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Hadda look up the spelling but I knew the guy.
Seen it on a documentary once

Flack

Post by Flack »

We saw Mt. Rushmore on day 13 of a 14 day vacation, back in 2012. We spent three days driving from Oklahoma to Seattle, went on a five day cruise from Seattle to Alaska and back, and were back in the car on our way home when we stopped at Rushmore. By the time we got there, the actual park had closed, and it wouldn't have mattered because by that point my kids had zero interest in anything except being home. We took pictures from the parking lot.

Just outside Rushmore in Ten Sleep, we found this pizza place. The whole town is packed with tourist spots (it's kind of the point). We got there late and had the place to ourselves. The pizza was okay but my biggest memory was that they had an air hockey table and I gave my kids five bucks and told them to knock themselves out. They played air hockey for close to an hour and I'm sure they enjoyed that way more than Mt. Rushmore.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Installing French doors, it's what you do on vacation.

It turns out the old sliding glass doors weren't meant for full winter application. Let's change that.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The shlubs that built the addition used particle board for a sub-floor. You know what happens when it's butted up against an outside door? Hadda pull out all the spongy , flaking floor all under the old door and lay down some good solid pressure treated. Then its shim,shim,shim sharona because the addition has settled.
Now it's straight while the house is crooked, don't tell!

THE
PLUMB LINE
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Reinstalling siding, because it's what you do on vacation

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Building a front porch, it's what you do on vacation

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I need to hire someone to paint one side of my house next week. Used to be my yard was the first thing you noticed about the ol ranch house that’s at my address of at one digit short of 666 My Street. Now it’s obvious everyone else has vinyl siding and my house hasn’t been painted since the late 80s or so.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Thankfully, my house is mostly bricks. Shittily, the brick wall in the other side was about to move away from the rest of the house until I had 4K worth of foundation stabilization work done.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:08 pm the brick wall in the other side was about to move away from the rest of the house until I had 4K worth of foundation stabilization work done.
"Spending money. It's what you do on vacation™."
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Have to buy the stuff to put it in, that's how it works. We inquired about having Homeless Despot install the doors. They wanted $1700 just to put them in. Uh, no, so I did it. It kinda beat me up and took a day and a half but they're in and I'm all proud and everything.

THE front porch really needed an upgrade as it was just a concrete slab with no class at all. I didn't want to have to get a building permit so the new construction is a simple platform that just sits over the old porch. No permanent attachment but it looks way better than it did. Next year is new siding. I'm not doing it.

THE
TIRED
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

As an afterthought I also put disco lights in my lawn tractor. Hey why not.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Update! Well, its been five years since we moved in so its time to freshen up the paint. The office was a canary yellow when we first got here. I put on a light gray coat of paint and called it good, I had too many more important rooms to take care of. Now it's time to rip out the carpet and put down a floor, then trim wood to match the rest of the house. The fun never stops with homo nership. There was some kind of Armstrong tile under the carpet that the last owners couldn't bother removing before they put down cheap carpet. I took that out today. Ill take a couple pix and post them here later.

Note this is all from my laptop cause the desktop PC is in temp storage until I get the room done.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So Seventies

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

New floor, yay