This thread is now about the world's greatest pizza.

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

This thread is now about the world's greatest pizza.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Pinback and savvyraven, who you guys drove off, had what Pinback is calling the world's greatest pizza over the weekend.

In this thread, we explore why it is the greatest and how I, ICJ, whom you guys drove off, can get some.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Also, here is my top 10 pizzas. Of all-time.

10. 3 Guys Pies Denver, CO.
9. Nicolo's Pizza (Closed), Longmont, CO.
8. Mark's Pizza, Any Location, Rochester, NY.
7. Hilton Pizza (Closed?) Hilton, NY.
6. Captain Cook (Closed) Rochester, NY.
5. TLC Pizza Express (Closed) Hilton, NY.
4. Pizza Shack on West Ridge Road, Greece, NY.
3. Ricci's, Greece, NY.
2. Pontillo's Pizza, Hilton NY.
1. Pizza Shack, Hamlin, NY.

I am willing to state that the suburb I grew up in, which at one point had 7 pizzerias, had the greatest pizza parlor to populace ratio of all-time, as well as three of the top ten pizza parlors on the planet.

I am willing to state that because it is correct.

RetroR

Post by RetroR »

This list doesn't count: pizza FROM NY is bound to be the best regardless of where you buy it from.

Christ man, every slice I've had since moving from San Diego and since the last time I visited New York, has been silly and dissatisfying in one way or another.

Flack

Post by Flack »

ICJ, how far down the list is the pizza place I took you and 'Vark to?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It should be in the list! Everyone make a pizza list and post it here!

THE
TOP 15 EASY
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ok, sure.

10. Ken's Pizza (OKC)
Ken's pizza was owned by the same people that owned Mazzio's. Mazzio's made a better pizza, but Ken's had a lunch buffet which was a staple of my high school years. They specialized in crunchy thin crust pizza, the kind you could eat a hundred slices of and still not be full. Mazzio's proved to be the more popular brand and all the Ken's closed except for a few in remote towns. Mazzio's offer's a "Ken's-Style Pizza" which is nothing like Ken's Pizza. There are rumors that a new Ken's Restaurant will be opening but I hear that rumor every other year or so.

09. Godfather's Pizza
I put Godfather's on the list mostly because I miss it. When I was a kid about once a month my parents would order a large, regular crust combination pizza with all the veggies. I remember picking off all the green peppers, black olives and such. Oh, how I wish I had saved them all and could eat them now! When I lived in Washington there was a Godfather's just down the street from where I worked. They had a lunch buffet and it was horrible so I would call in a pizza and eat it during lunch. There are a few Godfather's left around here and they are all co-located inside gas stations in small towns so I can't imagine the pizza is the same. Godfather's made a great supreme pizza man.

08. Pete's Bar (Chicago)
In Chicago you can go inside bars even if you're a minor. My grandma used to play boccie ball at a place name Pete's and when we were in town we would go pick her up and have pizza at Pete's. This was a large, flat pizza (not Chicago deep dish) and we always got sausage, onions, and mushrooms. I don't know if that's the only way they made them or if my family always ordered them the same way. The pizza was always cut into squares which is a big deal up there, and the sausage was the size of meatballs. We could never finish the pizza so we always got the rest to go and it was one of the few pizzas that was just as good the next day.

07. Hideaway Pizza (OKC)
Not for traditionalists, Hideaway is one of those places that has all kinds of weird pizzas -- stuff with BBQ sauce or Alfredo sauce instead of pizza sauce, for example. They do have more traditional pizzas if that's what you're into. They also have amazing fried mushrooms that come out hot and I have the scars in my mouth to prove it. It's a local chain (4 locations I think) without the chain feel but with good prices.

06. Pete's Pizza -- The Calizone King (Spokane, WA)
No relation to Pete in Chicago, Pete's Pizza in Spokane was the best pizza in town. He was known for his calizones, sure, but the pizza was just as good. He also had a Nintendo vs. cabinet inside with ExciteBike which I used to play while waiting for our pizza.

05. Humble Pie (Edmond, OK) (NY/Chicago)
This is the place I took ICJ and 'Vark to. It's split down the middle, with half of the restaurant decorated in NYC stuff and the other half in Chicago things. As you might expect, they serve two styles of pizza -- New York Style and Chicago Style. They don't have a lot of sides to offer (if I remember correctly they have garlic bread instead of breadsticks or anything like that) but the pizza is really good. It's one of those places where you will keep eating long after you are full simply because it's so damn good.

04. Giordano's (Chicago)
A staple of Chicago. If you want Chicago-style pizza, you could do worse.

03. Gino's (Chicago)
Another great Chicago pizza. We've had both Giordano's and Gino's multiple times. Gino's has better fried mushrooms and salads, which is what got them ranked higher in the list.

02. John's Pizzeria (Times Square, NYC)
I ate pizza here late one night while in NYC. To me, this IS NYC pizza. Big, thin, greasy, soft-crust pizza. The inside of this place looks like a church, which is fitting as eating this pizza is a religious experience.

01. Aurelio's Pizza (Homewood, IL)
One of the best pizzas in Chicago, hands down. If you have the time, pick the brick oven over the regular oven. It takes longer and there's always a wait, but the difference is noticeable. It's also 5 minutes from my family's house up north which guarantees we will have it at least once per trip. I have also paid the $30 delivery fee to have their pizza packed in dry ice and shipped to Oklahoma. So, so good.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I grew up on Godfathers too. Definitely in my top 5. Hard to find one these days but I always go if I'm near one.

I'm going to have to think about the rest and come back because now all I can think about is Godfathers..

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ah yeah I thought Aurelio's Pizza sounded familiar! I've eaten it too via takeout from one near Hammond and remember it being awesome.

Also from the Chicago area Pizza Due (across the street from original Pizza Uno downtown) was the best deep dish I ever had.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroR wrote:This list doesn't count: pizza FROM NY is bound to be the best regardless of where you buy it from.

Christ man, every slice I've had since moving from San Diego and since the last time I visited New York, has been silly and dissatisfying in one way or another.
Understood! I like Rochester pizza even more than NYC pizza. We get a thicker crust that is also crispier in parts. But yes, NYC and Chicago pizza are all pretty good with me.

We got a pizza from Safeway the other day and my girlfriend square cut it. I appreciated that. I appreciate her.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:ICJ, how far down the list is the pizza place I took you and 'Vark to?
I liked it. OK, I have a memory of liking it. We got the Chicago style one, right?

I mean, most of my list is due to pizza places that I had in the past that are long since closed. There's like one reference to Captain Cook's pizza in Rochester on the Internet. But I have these memories of my dad bringing one home after working "B Trick" at Kodak at 11 at night and it just being the most delicious thing that ever happened to me.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote:Ah yeah I thought Aurelio's Pizza sounded familiar! I've eaten it too via takeout from one near Hammond and remember it being awesome.

Also from the Chicago area Pizza Due (across the street from original Pizza Uno downtown) was the best deep dish I ever had.
I should have done this when I went to Chicago instead of going to the place that sucked ass that we DID go to.

Don't get pizza that sucks ass. It's not worth it!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Has anyone here had the 'Mexican Pizza' from Taco Bell? I had one yesterday and it's actually pretty good.

Though one of the best pizzas I had was a nice, greasy slice from an Italian place over in College Park, MD, just down the street from the laundromat I was using at the time (I had the pizza while my clothes were in the machine washing.)
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I liked it. OK, I have a memory of liking it. We got the Chicago style one, right?
We did. I remember because I specifically took two guys who live or have lived in New York to a place that sells New York Pizza and they both chose Chicago-style pizza.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Rochester pizza is more of a hybrid of New York and Chicago style. least I think so.

HMMM, I can't list more than three places in my top ten list so it'll have to be AArdvark's top three list instead.

#2 Giuseppe's.
Here's a picture, worth a thousand words.

#3 Pizzeria Uno's.
I know, it's a chain restaurant but I love it so bad.

#1 Veltre's pizza.

Started in 1932 and went out of business in 2000.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Best pizza I ever had was some small local joint in Pittsburgh about 20 years ago. Can't remember the name. That was in the city. In the suburb the closest place was called Mama Lucia's I think and it was pretty good, much better than anything I've ever had here in the south.

We recently got a new pizzaria here in Newport (at the Best Western) that attempts to make New York style pizza, it's a chain called Brooklyn Pizzeria. I've never actually been to NYC so I couldn't compare the two but it's definitely better than the other local places that have been here forever (Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Little Caesars). You can see the guys hand tossing the dough. Their large makes Pizza Hut's large look like a personal pan pizza. They have a massive flatscreen TV on the wall set to the sports channel. Quite a large dining space. Would be ideal for large groups to go for a birthday party or some other event.
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Vark's pic of Giuseppe's pizza looks sooo goood, I don't think I've any pizza that good in many many many years.
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jerry's Subs and Pizza makes a really delicious New York-style pizza. With Sausage, Mushrooms and Onions it's basically ambrosia.

A local chain called Pizza Bolis makes a New York-style that's almost as good as Jerry's.

After that, far down the list, comes Pizza Hut's stuffed-crust pizza.

Then Papa John's.

Then Domino's Steak and Cheese pizza, which is probably their only pizza that is edible.

Then Celeste Supreme frozen pizza.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tsummary

Post by Tsummary »

Tdarcos wrote:Jerry's Subs and Pizza makes a really delicious New York-style pizza. With Sausage, Mushrooms and Onions it's basically ambrosia.

A local chain called Pizza Bolis makes a New York-style that's almost as good as Jerry's.

Then Papa John's.

Then Domino's Steak and Cheese pizza, which is probably their only pizza that is edible.

Then Celeste Supreme frozen pizza.
TSUMMARY: In this thread Tdarcos mentions every pizza brand he has ever heard of, beginning with places near his home and ending with frozen pizza.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I've lived where TDR lives, so let me offer a counterpoint to his pizza opinions.
Tdarcos wrote:Jerry's Subs and Pizza makes a really delicious New York-style pizza. With Sausage, Mushrooms and Onions it's basically ambrosia.
Jerry's is "Sbarro" before Sbarro came up with the idea of offering terrible pizza by the slice to giant fat people in airports.
Pizza Bolis is what you ordered if there wasn't a Domino's closer.
Pizza Hut is the worst pie imagi-- well, you know how bad Pizza Hut is. I mean, the only thing worse than Pizza Hut is...
Then Papa John's.
Aaaaand, there we go.

There are many awesome pizza joints in the metropolitan DC area, where tubbo lives. He has not tried or heard of any of them. So continues the lonely desperate life of The Thing That Should Not Be.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Pizza Bolis is what you ordered if there wasn't a Domino's closer.
Funny, I read that as 'closer', as in a type of baseball pitcher. I think it works both ways.