I'm broke as shit

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm broke as shit

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Well, I have been buying way too much shit lately and I looked at my finances. I am almost fucking broke. I need to sell some shit!

Anyone want to buy

(1) LEATHER JACKET

(1) NINTENDO 64 with RESIDENT EVIL 4

I will try to get photos and I will bump this thread with stuff.

And if you ever wanted to buy Cryptozookeeper, now is a great time.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

Just do a Kickstarter!

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

Can you do that on Kickstarter? Do you have to have a project? Can I just start a help me buy a new guitar because I'm bored of the one I have Kickstarter? Or a I'm just broke, give me money Kickstarter? Maybe a I wasn't planning on buying a PS4 but if you guys wanna pay for it Kickstarter?

Flack

Post by Flack »

I think in the earlier days it was easier to launch Kickstarters like that. Susan tried starting two separate Kickstarter campaigns to raise the money needed to buy the Girl Scout camp. The first one was rejected because you are not allowed to create a Kickstarter to buy real estate. The second one was rejected for some other reason.

I hate systems like that where the rules are enforced for some people but not others. For a long time the official rule for iOS games was that free games were not allowed to be crippled or filled with ads. Um, did you ever download a free iOS game that WASN'T crippled or filled with ads? But every now and then they would shut somebody down because of it. I know for a fact I have seen Kickstarters launched to help people raise money to get a hackerspace started up... which is real estate. Whatev. What she should have done was launched a Kickstarter saying that she was going to make a documentary about buying a camp and then used the money to buy the camp and make the film.

From http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines :

Everything on Kickstarter must be a project.
A project is something with a clear end, like making an album, a film, or a new game. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced as a result.

Every project on Kickstarter must fit into one of our categories.
Our categories are Art, Comics, Dance, Design, Fashion, Film, Food, Games, Music, Photography, Publishing, Technology, and Theater.

So if your project is a modern art performance of a man selling some things off to pay his bills, I think you're gold, Pony Boy.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hahaha
Everything on Kickstarter must be a project.
Every project on Kickstarter must fit into one of our categories.
"Except for Penny Arcade, who is just using this as a giant cash grab, and we're happy to take 7%."

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Could we hear about what happened to your money? What did you spend it on?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I'd be interested in a financial (though much lamer) version of the Fat Ass Challenge where we essentially commit to helping each other make a budget and stick to it.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

World's best budget: take all the money you'd spend on food and buy whisky instead. If you REALLY get hungry you probably have some beans or shit in the cupboard.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Then take all your savings and use it to buy a new liver on the black market?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Nobody gets any information until the jacket is sold.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Will the leather jacket fit Willie Talk?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

If the answer is yes, then the next question is: how much for the leather jacket?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:Will the leather jacket fit Willie Talk?
It's.... it's a tad too big. :(

Even though Willie Talk has a big dick. It's enormous.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper wrote:If the answer is yes, then the next question is: how much for the leather jacket?
For YOU, it is $40 shipped. For the rest of the internet, that jacket should get me more. I think?? It's a bit out of style.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I'd buy the jacket (or at least ask for pictures) except for the following:

1. Due to my weird budget, I'm also "as broke as shit" until the new year.

2. I'm trying to live a minimal life style, which essentially means arguing with my girlfriend about why we only at this point own two plates and bowls.

As for budgeting, have you tried any software? You Need a Budget is supposedly quite good as is (for some people) Mint.com

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am absolutely 100% good when it comes to budgeting my money. I have a Google doc spreadsheet and I update it with every purchase. My problem is simply that I just bought a pinball table, motorcycle and Food Fight arcade game within two months that fucked things up. I fucked things up, but it's obvious how it happened.

Couple that with what either appears to be a crashing arcade game market for the stuff I do have and a lack of desire to physically move cabs I want to sell up stairs and you have.......... Shitwallet 3000!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I am absolutely 100% good when it comes to budgeting my money. I have a Google doc spreadsheet and I update it with every purchase. My problem is simply that I just bought a pinball table, motorcycle and Food Fight arcade game within two months that fucked things up. I fucked things up, but it's obvious how it happened.

Couple that with what either appears to be a crashing arcade game market for the stuff I do have and a lack of desire to physically move cabs I want to sell up stairs and you have.......... Shitwallet 3000!
I am quoting this because, of course, I am "good with money" except for the part where you don't buy crap like a rich kid who has two months to live. I was trying to make fun of myself here, but it did not come across that way. So this is clarification.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I have a side bank account for my spending money. It has so much money in it that I don't keep track of how much money is in it. I put a couple hundred bucks a week into it so as long as I spend less than that, I'm good.

I have a general idea of how much money is in there though. I thought it was around $6k. My wife figured out our budget today and it's actually $1,800. I have no idea what I spent the money on. Well, I bought two new computer monitors and his and hers laptops but the rest? No clue.

Also the reason she was figuring the budget is because I just had to pay a $1,000 deductible to the insurance company, which means I now have $800. I'm not sure the payment for the MiST computer (which was roughly $300) has gone through yet either.

Any room left on the broke bench?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Plenty of room, which is good, because we can't afford another bench.

There is a sort of phenomenon I have been worried about -- there's going to be so much cool retro computer stuff made that regular people can't keep up. It's definitely happening.

If, 10 years ago, someone made that Berzerk/Frenzy board, I'd have been all over that. I would have carved away two weeks to create something with it. Now, I can't justify buying it at the moment because I know it will just sit there.

I wonder about how many "hobbies" a person can have. Some people get lucky and their job is their hobby. On one hand I feel fortunate that I have time for motorcycle stuff, game-making stuff, arcade stuff... on the other hand, I am spread pretty thin so if the motorcycle takes a dump I haven't spent the time to learn how to fix it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

That's definitely a huge problem with this stupid hobby. People keep making cool devices and putting them up for sale. Any one of them would be fun to purchase and play with, but because we are who we are, we want them all -- which if you think about it, actually leads to us enjoying them more as we slice our time up among each of them, giving us less time to enjoy each one. Additionally, each of these items are made in small, limited runs, which adds to the pressure to "buy it now before it's gone!" Each of the flash-based computer systems (u1541, CFFA3000, etc) are made in small runs with long waits in between each run. If you don't hurry up and buy it now, you'll be sitting on the sidelines waiting for the next run... if there is a next run.

I have a Raspberry Pi -- no, TWO Raspberry Pis -- temporarily collecting dust while I spend my spare time exploring the MiST computer. Unfortunately the first Pi arrived just a few days after the Amiga CD HD you sent me, which circumvented it. I had something else waiting in the wings to get to before that and I can't even remember what it was.

I coined a phrase (but not the idea) a long time ago called the MAME Syndrome. Back when we were kids we might have only had a few Atari or NES games, and even though some of them were terrible, we played them because that was all we had. When you download every Atari 2600 and NES ROM, you tend to play the good ones because there's no reason to play the bad ones! How many terrible arcade games have you played because that's the only machine a location had? But once you get everything it seems like you play nothing (or at least a tiny subset of that "everything"). That's what all this hardware right now feels like to me. I keep buying it because I want to own it, I just don't have the time to play with it all right now.