The New Amiga Thread

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Yeah, but I still want to GO to the office.

OK, here's The Pawn:

I have no idea how to get graphics to show up in the Amiga version of The Pawn, except for the title screen there.

I *did* notice that it plays music and it caused me to jump, as I was not expecting that.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ah, it's the right mouse button. Which is flaky on my mouse. Which reminds me that I have an order to make from Amigakit.

Flack

Post by Flack »

In the C64 version you can do GRAPHICS ON and GRAPHICS OFF. Not sure if it works on the Amiga version as well.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Amiga 500 on an FPGA, supports VGA out:

https://acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.i ... /6-minimig

Nnnnnnghhhh

Flack

Post by Flack »

You should ask Brian (Icbrkr) about his Minimig. Maybe it has been updated recently but he has owned one for a while and the lack of updates and compatibility has his sitting in a closet I believe.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Whew! OK, good. Because I don't need to drop $200 on something for the closet right now.

Ice Cream Jonsey

A while back, Flack told me about a reconfig of the CF card setup that stops you from having to unscrew your Amiga every time you want to get the CF card out and put more games on it. I finally took some time today to install it. It works great, I'm able to pop the CF card out like a floppy disk.

I needed to review the instructions on how to get games on it. Luckily, I documented my process here:
http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10817

I really need to put all that info on JC so it's backed up.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

This is a factoid I needed to get the free and latest version of WHDLoad on my CF Card:
To access files on a particular volume, you can refer to the volume by its volume name, such as Workbench:, or its device name, such as DF0:. Use the names interchangeably; however, you must always include the colon (:) after the name.

Flack

Post by Flack »

That's awesome! A friend of mine build an image for the MiST that has the Amiga configured with WHDload. If you want a copy let me know, he just sent me images of all his pre-configured machine cores.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:That's awesome! A friend of mine build an image for the MiST that has the Amiga configured with WHDload. If you want a copy let me know, he just sent me images of all his pre-configured machine cores.
That would be great! Let me make an FTP login for you, if that works.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Played with the Amiga version of Tass Times in Tonetown tonight. I just wanted to see what it was like. I have vivid memories of staring at sales brochures for computer games that featured not just IBM PC stuff, but stuff for the Amiga and Atari ST and Apple II GS as well.

My first surprise is that Ennio / Spot doesn't jump through the hoop at any point in the Amiga version. Whoa! He does that for the IBM PC version in its four garish colors. Kind of a neat little clue as well, as the player needs to go through the hoop to get to Tonetown.

I got into Tonetown proper and made it over to Chaz's hair salon. I thought that just getting the pink feathers was enough to do it, but Franklin Snarl killed me for being a tourist. Chaz does mention heading over to the 'Tique, so I am assuming clothes need to change as well.

Anyway, I know this is pretty much the definition of living in the past, but there ya go.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Do you find these old games stand up?

More and more, I am finding that I enjoy the ones that I have memories of, and that many the ones I am only now experiencing for the first time don't seem all that great.

That's not directed toward TTiTT -- that was indeed a fun game, although a lot of those games suffered with bad, quirky, and difficult to use interfaces.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:Do you find these old games stand up?

More and more, I am finding that I enjoy the ones that I have memories of, and that many the ones I am only now experiencing for the first time don't seem all that great.

That's not directed toward TTiTT -- that was indeed a fun game, although a lot of those games suffered with bad, quirky, and difficult to use interfaces.
Great question.

I'm playing a bunch of these, ostensibly, to create new memories. Lately I have been very melancholy about the concept of one's story arc being finished in life. I thought it would be fun to unearth an unknown gem for the Amiga. I thought it would be neat to play through an RPG when I felt like it, at my own pace on the thing.

But what you say is accurate. The games that I remember (on different platforms) are still just as good. I'm not seeing a new game rock my socks off yet. This would lead me to believe that no game is ACTUALLY holding up well, I just have a nostalgia fog.

There is something I am looking for, in doing all of this, Flack. I don't know what it is, but it's there. I'm worried that I've built these old machines up in my mind too much.

Flack

Post by Flack »

One of the things I have a hard time wrapping my head around is that the Amiga's graphics are on par and often compared with the Sega Genesis. When the Amiga came out, it was competing with the 8 bit computers of the time (think C64 and Apple II), the black and white Macintosh, and PCs running in CGA. Graphically, the Amiga seemed like the most amazing computer EVER to me. The stereo audio was also leaps and bounds above the competition. There's something about that machine's crystal clear audio with those lo-fi samples piled on top that sounds amazing to me to this day.

The Sega Genesis was a 16 bit console. The end. There's no amazement to me about that. It was essentially on par with the Super Nintendo. They looked better than the previous generation and not as good as the next generation. That's it.

Comparing the two seems ludicrous to me, and yet when you try to take the emotion and memories out of the comparison and look at games on both systems... yeah, they's not world's apart. In my mind, they're worlds apart.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

The Genesis originally competed with the NES, actually. Nintendo answered with the SNES about two years later to level things. It was that delay that allowed Sega to get popularity.

And that concludes the useless history lesson of the day :-P

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:When the Amiga came out, it was competing with the 8 bit computers of the time (think C64 and Apple II), the black and white Macintosh, and PCs running in CGA. Graphically, the Amiga seemed like the most amazing computer EVER to me.
Technically, PCs had EGA graphics.

/pushes glasses up nose

I guess technically is it, though. Certainly the great great great majority of PCs in 1985 were still on CGA.
The stereo audio was also leaps and bounds above the competition.
Certainly true for the PC. Wikipedia says that Ad Lib wasn't even founded as a company until 1987! How did we manage?

I started up an Amiga game called "Phantasie" last night. I've never played a game in the Phantasie series in any platform. We'll see how it goes, it is supposed to be a really good RPG.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I definitely played Phantasie on the C64. I don't remember much about it other than it was Ultima-like.