hydrolythe's KICK ASS TOP 100 THREAD!

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

hydrolythe

top 100 games of all time

Post by hydrolythe »

Should I tell you some games that I would like to see in your next top 100 games of all time list?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Better yet, post your own list!

Sorting 100 games takes an awful long time. If you want to post your top 10 games, or 20, or whatever, that would be awesome!

People always have a different take on what their "favorites" were, and it often has to do with what they were exposed to when they were younger. It's always interesting to see what people think is "better" or "worse".

Post away, fellow gamer!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack wrote:Bring a spare suitcase with you when you visit Oklahoma and leave with a working TI-99/4a. Or two.
You don't have one of those you're trying to get rid of, do you Flackwell??
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Now that you've called me on my shit, I'm wondering if there are actually wares on the 99 I'd want to play. :/

Flack

Post by Flack »

I was going to suggest a trade for an Amiga 500, but that would be somewhat dishonest as I would be willing to just give you one. Market value of a loose system (which is all I have left) is around $5.

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

Hello everyone, as I said that I would do some requests. Here they are, but before I do that, keep a few things in mind:
1: Some games that I request are from games I never played, but from which I played the sequels (direct and indirect).
2: I do not want to be controversial with this list in any form imaginable. If I set a game on the list that I shouldn't have set in, please tell me why this game is bad instead of saying that I should immediately leave the forum.
3: I will only put games in the request that I have never seen mentioned before in this forum.
4: If you have read from 1 until 3. Please begin to read and enjoy the requests.
- Megaman (nes)
- Megaman 2 (nes)
- Castlevania (nes)
- Final Fantasy III (nes)
- Ghosts and Goblins (nes)
- Card Fightes Clash (Neo Geo)
- Final Fantasy IV (snes)
- Rayman (ps1)
- Castlevania: Symphony of the night (ps1)
- Rayman 2: The Great Escape (ps1)
- Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (ps2)
- Final Fantasy X (ps2)
- Luxor (arcade)
- Ikaruga (arcade)
- Steppenwolf (freeware) (pc)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (gamecube)
- I Wanna Be The Guy (freeware) (pc)
- Super Mario Galaxy (wii)
- N (freeware) (pc)
- Cave Story (freeware) (pc)
- Iji (freeware) (pc)
- Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (wiiware)
- Super Meat Boy (freeware) (pc)

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

- Azure Dreams (ps1)
- Golden Sun (gba)
- Advance Wars (gba)

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

- River Raid (Atari 2600)
- Pitfall! (Atari 2600)
- Pitfall 2 (Atari 2600)
- Moon Patrol (Atari 2600)
- Keystone Kapers (Atari 2600)
- Robot Tank (Atari 2600)
- H.E.R.O. (Atari 2600)
- Enduro (Atari 2600)
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

I think that these were all games I possibly could request for such a list. There are certainly other games I can recommend, but I do not have a real qualified opinion on.

Tdarcos

Re: top 100 games of all time

Post by Tdarcos »

hydrolythe wrote:1: Some games that I request are from games I never played, but from which I played the sequels (direct and indirect).
2: I do not want to be controversial with this list in any form imaginable. If I set a game on the list that I shouldn't have set in, please tell me why this game is bad instead of saying that I should immediately leave the forum.
[deleted]
- I Wanna Be The Guy (freeware) (pc)
I Wanna Be the Guy is not a game, it is a torture device banned by 134 countries and UN regulations, and is so horrible that even Mainland China won't use it on dissidents. It is so bad that a court ruled that having convicted murderers play it in place of lethal injection was considered "unduly harsh and reprehensibly barbaric" and suggested that death by stoning or electric shock applied to the genitals would be less cruel and more humane.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

hydrolythe wrote:- River Raid (Atari 2600)
- Pitfall! (Atari 2600)
- Pitfall 2 (Atari 2600)
- Moon Patrol (Atari 2600)
- Keystone Kapers (Atari 2600)
- Robot Tank (Atari 2600)
- H.E.R.O. (Atari 2600)
- Enduro (Atari 2600)
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
Now we're getting into games I've played. The only one that really jumped out at me on your first list was Ikaruga, which is one of the best SHMUPs of all time.

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

I Wanna Be the Guy is not a game, it is a torture device banned by 134 countries and UN regulations, and is so horrible that even Mainland China won't use it on dissidents. It is so bad that a court ruled that having convicted murderers play it in place of lethal injection was considered "unduly harsh and reprehensibly barbaric" and suggested that death by stoning or electric shock applied to the genitals would be less cruel and more humane.

Let us be honest, there are games that are more frustrating than I Wanna Be The Guy. With that I am particularly referring to Sea Hunt (Atari 2600) and the 4 Swordquest games (Atari 2600).

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

Sorry for the fact that this list is not finished yet. Because I admit that I forgot the following:
- Thou Art Dead (arcade)
- Final Fantasy (NES)
- Tales of the Scheherazade (NES)
- Secret of Mana (SNES)
- Chrono Trigger (SNES)
- Secret of Evermore (SNES)
- Maximus: Ghosts to glory (ps2)

Ice Cream Jonsey

hydrolythe wrote:- Maximus: Ghosts to glory (ps2)
Waitasec. This was a bog-standard 3D platformer that did absolutely nothing special. I CHALLENGE your assertion here, sir! What makes it one of the 100 greatest games of all-time??

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

It was the 3D rendition of ghosts and goblins, and the 1 that actually succeeded (the other 3D rendition of the possible same genre would be Castlevania 64, which sucked).

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

- Dragon Warrior 4 (nes)
- Final Fantasy II (nes)
- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (nes)
- Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (nes)
- Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (gba)
- Spin-off (pc) (cd)
(I might remember some names of great games later on in this forum (I do not want to make the same mistake twice))
In fact. I would like to know of some other people on this forum what the games are that they want in your future top 100 that were not mentioned before, because not only will it allow him to make a better top 100 list, but it will also give us the opportunity to play some games that are at least worth a mention on this topic.

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

- Mario Kart (snes)
- Mario Kart 64 (n64)
- The Fast and the Furious (ps2) (not sure)

Flack

Post by Flack »

hydrolythe wrote:- Mario Kart (snes)
- Mario Kart 64 (n64)
- The Fast and the Furious (ps2) (not sure)
There's no doubt the first Mario Kart should be on the list, although I don't know that Mario Kart 64 raised the bar all that much (some people love it).

I'm pretty sure I owned that Fast and the Furious game for the PS2 and threw it away the day Need for Speed: Most Wanted came out. I'd take NFS:MW and Burnout: Paradise anyday over TFatF.

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

Thank you for mentioning 2 games that are better than The Fast and the Furious, because personally I did not know if it was that great of a racing game (I did like it beause it is arguably 1 of the most detailed racing games of all time, but I did not play a lot of racing games on the ps2 which is the reason why I doubted. So thanks for mentioning.)

For Mario Kart 64 I am not sure if it is certainly that great. I did mention it though because it is a great 3D rendition of a great game (and admit, if a 3D rendition of a game succeeds, it is a great pick for a top 100 list, though it will almost always be lower ranked than the original.)

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

- Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
- Spectrum of Souls: Chapter 1: The Red Chamber (pc) (freeware)
- Playing with fire 2 (pc) (freeware)