Wasteland

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote:You realize you have described The Worst Game Ever. A game where you have to spend a lot of time up front, hoping against hope that you didn't choose wrong for the next 43 hours (or in this case, 43 minutes) with no information other than internet forums to go on.
Errrrrrrrrrrr...

IF games get slaughtered if they can enter an "unwinnable state"
Right. In the IF scene, we call that "misogyny."

And you're describing a game which you can get into that stats just by not tirelessly investigating the magic combination of characters you need to progress past the first fucking scenario.
Well, no. I am telling Retro, who is frozen and QQing, tears streaming down face, what I did to make a good party.

I didn't know the first time out that the game gives you weapons to exercise your weapon skills. That was new! The first one gave everyone the same loadout. That's the only part that I didn't know. And unlike parenthood, they did give us a manual.

But I've played the first hour of it about six times by now. I learned a few lessons. I get further each time. But this is before the VERY FIRST STORY MISSION is over.
Agreed! I am bad at video games.

I demand an apolo- I demand you explain how we are all fucking this up. I WANT to love this game, you understand. Shadowrun, I was on the fence, and within 20 minutes, I wanted to (and did) hate it.
Okay. What can you control about most fights? You can control when the fight starts. You can control who is shooting with what. You can control where your guys are positioned. You can control the use of cover on the map.

I guess an actual tip is that the sniper can hit people pretty far away. You can set your dudes up and then have the sniper character pick somebody off from a screen away. Now the fight has started, you immediately have one of the enemies with damage, and they have to run to you.

It gets easier once your guys have over 50 hit points, too.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

"It gets easier once it's not so hard."

What kind of stupid-ass fucking stupid shit starts OUT hard and then gets easier?

Know what? I'm glad you like it. You deserve to have fun with video games.

As for me, though, fuck this shit. UNINSTALLED.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I love that there was a ton of good advice and you harped on the fact that the difficulty curve evens out after a bit.

God, I wish the thing let me pit my squad against yours. I'd fucking kill your army dudes.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I love that there was a ton of good advice and you harped on the fact that the difficulty curve evens out after a bit.

God, I wish the thing let me pit my squad against yours. I'd fucking kill your army dudes.
Find a multiplayer tact-- we can play XCOM against each other.

BRING IT FUCKFACE. MY TACTICS IS 80/20 CHUCK BITCH.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Beat it last weekend. Took about 110 hours.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have found that the game is one of the most purely pleasurable experiences ever, that should never, ever be attempted beyond the easiest difficulty setting.

I also need to be able to "shut life down" to get the time to play it. So I need to be in the same mental space as programming.

Did you enjoy it, Jiz?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yes, very much so! There was quite a bit going on to keep me interested, just not enough to play again with my winning party to try to get stuff I missed.

I found myself toggling from easiest to the next difficulty depending on situations. I really enjoyed the combat system and weapons, but part of what made it take so long for me was restarting fights over and over until I got the fight "perfect". Creating a cluster of bad guys and successfully catching them all with splash damage for a rocket for example may take a few tries.

The story is cool and weird, and it's fun to explore all the different ways of going through it.