AArdvark! now with bifocals

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

AArdvark! now with bifocals

Post by AArdvark »

Getting old starting to suck!

THE
GREY HAIRED
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

One of my mini projects is to improve my computer sound.

have a Colby surround sound thing. cheap from Walmart. Someone gave me an Altec Lansing subwoofer (acs495) without the satellite speakers. Problem is the Altec lansing was made in '98 and was only designed for regular stereo, or the ProLogic for fake surround sound. I'm combining it and the Colby to get the huge bass boom and real 5.1 sound. Maybe pix if I feel like it.

THE
WHAT'S THAT THUMPING NOISE
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

K. Done now.
Here's the Altec Lansing faceplate. Very nice. Too bad it wont do 5.1 sound. We'll fix that...

this is the old subwoofer vs the new subwoofer. Think there will be any sound improvement?

I took the boards out and threw them away like useless dead leaves of technology past.Image

This is the old RCA board mounted on the new cabinet.

The finished project.

Close up. The Altec Lansing didn't even have a remote control so I hadda install the old one.

Overall sound is much punchier. I can hear why they rave about the sound. Can't turn the volume up past halfway as the floor shakes and disturbs the cats. I should re-get all my music in 5.1 now.

THE
THIS OLD AUDIO
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Of course win7 doesn't do real 5.1. like XP did. Maybe in a future update....

THE
WHY WOULD IT
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

1) I had no idea you could take the boards out of speakers.

2) I had no idea that speakers had circuit boards.

3) Windows 7 doesn't do Dolby 5.1?? Is that because.... why is that? Why on earth would it lack support for that of all things?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Windows 7 broke 5.1 for most people. I guess a lot of XP 5.1 drivers are incompatible too. I think most audio manufacturers are waiting to see if SP1 fixes the issue before they re-write their drivers.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

I had no idea. This is a goddamn tragedy.

Also, did YOU know that speakers contained circuit boards? Did everyone else know this? Aardvark's probably awash in giant bottle of Dolby 6.7 or whatever it is people use, but I think we need some answers.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Oh, they needed a way to fake the surround sound without actually providing more speakers. Circuit boards did the trick. I think circuit boards in strategic places can solve world hunger too.

right now AArdvark is awash in a bottle of Tortuga rum!

THE
IN THE RIGHT PLACES
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

That rum got a picture of a boat up on the front! Approved!!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I have all the Doors albums in 5.1 sound and tried them out and the result was....unspectacular. OK it's cool to hear each of the instruments in different speakers but it didn't really do anything to the overall listening experience that half a bottle of good SCOTCH or a fat spleef couldn't do better. Besides, the realtek drivers mess with my recording software to the point that I have to reboot when I want to switch from listening in 5.1 to laying down a good riff. I'll still keep the hardware hooked up but probably wont use the 5.1. I need a good pair of full range fronts anyway. So that'll be my next sound project.

THE
50 - 50,000 KHZ
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm told there is a large liquor warehouse on 104th and Washington. We can buy alcohol on Sunday now, which angers me, because I honestly believe there is an old, bearded guy in the cosmos waggling his finger the instant his Timex turns from 23:59:59 on Saturday to 00:00:00 on Sunday. Sometimes he goes off the register receipt, but all will perish! Anyway, I hate leaving the house on Sunday but reserves are low. I'm either getting that Ardbeg or I guess a bottle of J&B and a chess program.

RealityCheck

Post by RealityCheck »

How was your Total Beverage experience?

Ice Cream Jonsey

I didn't leave the house. I went to the Rite-Aid next to where I work and got the good stuff there. I shall be drinking Ardberg the rest of my natural life, which I hope this affects.

I must not understand people who get drunk over the Internet NOT "cask strength." Ardbeg was $50.99 at "Rite-Aid." (Seriously, this "Rite-Aid" is the biggest liquor store in the city, seems.) Cask strength Ardbeg is going for like $88 + shipping on the net when it's on sale. What? It's already 46% before anything cask strength gets involved. You know, I should pay a lot more money, get it a week later and drink the cask strength stuff with two ice cubes.

So none of that makes any sense to me.

All Will Perish!

Post by All Will Perish! »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I'm told there is a large liquor warehouse on 104th and Washington. We can buy alcohol on Sunday now, which angers me, because I honestly believe there is an old, bearded guy in the cosmos waggling his finger the instant his Timex turns from 23:59:59 on Saturday to 00:00:00 on Sunday. Sometimes he goes off the register receipt, but all will perish! Anyway, I hate leaving the house on Sunday but reserves are low. I'm either getting that Ardbeg or I guess a bottle of J&B and a chess program.
Whoops, sorry. I stopped coming ere because it's been so long. Google Alerts took a few days. Ahem...

All Will Perish!
All Will Perish!

walrussety

Post by walrussety »

AArdvark wrote:I have all the Doors albums in 5.1 sound and tried them out and the result was....unspectacular. OK it's cool to hear each of the instruments in different speakers but it didn't really do anything to the overall listening experience that half a bottle of good SCOTCH or a fat spleef couldn't do better.
ha, so you agree with me that stereo is a gimmick

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I would agree that quadraphonic sound is a gimmick. Maybe in theaters and such, but I like to be over here while they play over there kind of setup. Stereo is a necessity. When I play stereo 45s on my jukebox they sound inferior to a stereo system. Mono is for AM talk radio. Music is made for stereo. (Would you say that the RPO is in mono because they are all in one spot?)

THE
SAME DIFFERENCE
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I just threw out that speaker project. Out the attic window to the driveway three stories down. Details in the other base.

THE
GAME OVER
PLAYER 1
AARDVARK