Keyboard rant

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Keyboard rant

Post by AArdvark »

I wrote up a nice long one and then accidentally deleted it.

Basically, I bought a wireless keyboard without being able to even try it out first. The delete key is now where the home key is on my old one. Every time I hit home I just delete whatever letter I typed last and it's driving me nuts.
The space bar doesn't work so well either and I have to keep fixing my sentences.

I rant for standardization.

I want one of them three-sided pyramid keyboards.

photos in a minute

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I house-sat for Pinback a few weeks ago and tried using his laptop when I needed to get on the Internet, and couldn't fuck around with whatever oxen-pulling-an-abacus my iPhone defaults to.

If there were a neutron bomb that destroyed all other life on earth but me and some (fertile) girl, and then there was a very specific nuclear bomb that destroyed all keyboards expect the one on his (otherwise very swank) laptop, I would shoot myself in the fucking face, hand the girl the weapon and laptop so she could blog about it, watch her murder herself after two seconds on that keyboard as well and then allow myself and the human race to die out and be happy we did so.

I think the best way I would describe the layout is as follows:

- Think of every single non-letter button on your CURRENT keyboard.

- Imagine that they all got changed to DELETE.

- Except for DELETE, which got changed to HOME.

So yeah, I don't know why these fucking idiots messed around with that Vark, but I've noticed it, too.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I'm all for the betterment user inputs. I can't wait till I get my tablet notebook and can hand write everything. I just would like my handwritten stuff to be displayed here exactly the way I write it. I'm pretty big on margin doodles and asides.

Hell, I'd even go for one of those Dvorak keyboards if it made typing faster.

I tried dragon Naturally speaking but hate having anyone in earshot listening to my input.
isn't there some kind of keyboard remapping software that lets you put any key wherever you want it? maybe it's a bios thing, cause it'd have to work right at the dos level.

THE
43KQ--8JT
QQ4EFQ4I

Flack

Post by Flack »

That's been my biggest complaint about my netbook, which I bitch about all the time, and have probably already done so here at least once. First of all, the whole thing's like 3/4 scale so hitting the right letters usually happens but I miss everything else (shift, punctuation, etc). Then there are things like the page up/page down keys, which have been moved to the typically unoccupied spaces to the left and right up the up arrow key. Yeah, those get hit on accident a lot. And then the best part is "home" and "end" have been made into "function" buttons ... so something I do all the time like jump to the front of a document with ctrl-home is now ctrl-function-home. And if you want to highlight a whole sentence now it's ctrl-function-shift-home and I don't have that kind of patience or finger dexterity.

My favorite keyboards (other than old school, heavy-ass clicking ones) are cheap-ass Dell ones. A couple of years ago we ordered 130 Dell servers at work and we got 130 keyboards and didn't need them so they've just been sitting around. I use them all the time and love them.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I really wish I could find the same type of keyboard used for the Apple IIc. Or IIe or something. But, if I remember right, the keyboards for those weren't free-hanging dudes or whatever, but part of the computer itself, like the C64, Atari 800 and various other machines of the time.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!