The Top 100 Worst Games: Nominations

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Worm

Post by Worm »

I like Dead or Alive now. Monster Rancher 1 should be up there.
Good point Bobby!

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I wanted to say RE1 earlier but wasn't sure if that was allowed. But yes, as uch as i like the RE series, RE1 was terrible in pretty much every way; graphics, sound, control scheme, and especially voice acting in that were all pretty damn bad. Capcom just got lucky with a vague plot with a lot of room for expansion and the fact that there was only one other zombie game in existence back them.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

I nominate the South Park game (I beleive it was for game cube?) it sucked. A Lot.
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

Worm

Post by Worm »

loafergirl wrote:I nominate the South Park game (I beleive it was for game cube?) it sucked. A Lot.
So much it brought you screaming back from beyond the grave? You're not talking about the wonderful little Goldeneye style FPS, right?
Good point Bobby!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

loafergirl wrote:I nominate the South Park game (I beleive it was for game cube?) it sucked. A Lot.
I wrote a review of the PC version of that game, years ago. I don't think it's currently on the Internet anywhere. It was kind of shitty, but I wasn't a very harsh "reviewer" in those days.

It does seem pretty pointless for a game like that to not be an adventure game.

And the pinball game for South Park is very popular, and I am almost prepared to say that it is good.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I have to nominate Ghostbusters here. I found this Video that pretty much covers the game. I laughed a lot because I have felt the same way about it.

THE
BAD ROM
AARDVARK

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

Yes, South Park Pinball rocks, South Pak for gamecube blew monkey chunks.
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

hydrolythe

top 100 worst games of all time

Post by hydrolythe »

My requests would be:
- Starmaster (Atari 2600) (There is a right way to do a fps on the Atari 2600. That way is Robot Tank. This is not the right way.)
- Space Shuttle (Atari 2600) (There is a right way to do a simulator on the Atari 2600. That way is Tomcat T14 The flight simulator. This is not the right way.)
Other games I think of that are bad but can't prove:
- Superman 64 (N64) (Can't say that it is bad due to not having played it and due to the restrictions made by the Marvel and DC Comics license holders.)
- Bubsy 3D in Furbidden Planet (PS1) (Never played. But if you ever played it, make sure that it is in your top 25.(There was already Crash Bandicoot (ps1) out before this one. So no excuse.))
- Plumbers don't wear ties (3DO) (Almost no gameplay.)
- Action 52 (The worst compilation ever made.)

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Everyone here has logged countless hours on a diverse array of games that likely spans the entire gambit of text adventures to Crash Bandicoot, but most of these titles have been playable and on some level, enjoyable. Being able to conjure some hint of enjoyment from every piece of creative work is easy because there is always something to love; not so in the only blatantly horrible game I've had the chance to wave a joystick and randomly hit buttons to, in the hope the experience may soon be over...

GhostBusters for the Commodore 64.

[youtube][/youtube]

My own vague recollection of the last time I popped this game into the system, is of the eye pitched screeching coming from a semi-surround system, overlaid with the bouncing ball which nearly dares you to sing along with the ear popping melody. Even after giving a slight grimace and moving on though, the game map where one navigates their Ecto 2 is confusing; where and what the hell am I to do? Moving to the menu just gives you a set of nearly arbitrary upgrade options for the GhostBusting Vehicle, but then when you drop back down to the game world, running around the map does seemingly nothing.

That is, until one encounters a ghost then its "Don't cross the streams!" as the valiant effort against slimer lookalikes take over. After about an hour of ghost on ghost ghost busting, playing through and upgrading the Ecto II to accommodate the... I don't remember what the upgrades did... I turned off the console and moved on because nothing happened. No special events nor slight reward for me to realize I was leading to an eventual conclusion, just the long and slow road to becoming ever more proficient with a game I wish I hadn't played.

After turning off the console and staying away from the damned game for a few years, I guess in one way the game is memorable; whenever I hear the Ghostbusters theme, I wince at the memory of the high pitched, sharp edged chiptunes version that emanated from a seemingly possessed television, enduring the memory it until the moment passes.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I don't want to come off as snarky, but some of those things are answered in the manual.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

Now here for some other titles:
- Emma at the farm (ds): Ain't sure if this 1 is going to make the cut but the game can be mastered in a few seconds (with the exceptions of a blowing game with awful recording.)
- Now 1 I didn't play: Quad Desert Fury (gba) (This game makes Big Rigs: Over the road racing look like an excellent game. At least Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing has a good control system and it does not rehash the same level with less checkpoints over and over again, no winner screen and we may not forget that this game has the same flaws as Big Rigs: Over the road racing).

RetroR

Post by RetroR »

Flack wrote:I don't want to come off as snarky, but some of those things are answered in the manual.
Probably... My problem is that I've never actually played a C64 (or anything other than one of the mainstream consoles from the NES up) game new, so I didn't have access to it.

Shouldn't video games in a sense, be intuitive enough to play without a manual though? Having to comb through a book to understand the base mechanics to play a game, seems a bit silly.

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

I nominate the South Park game (I beleive it was for game cube?) it sucked. A Lot.

Perhaps the worst of all this is that the company (akklaim I believe) was able to make great games such as Shadowman (ps1) and the whole metroid prime triology. (I didn't include any of these in my thread though, since that would be cheating.)

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Acclaim?

Erm... Weren't they infamous for posting placards for Shadowman on random gravestones throughout New Orleans? And I believe they were defunct by the time the Metroid Prime trilogy came to be, as it was a former employee who broke off and founded a second party Nintendo studio called... Ah... Retro Studios.

A request: could we back off a little bit on the overly mainstream and beaten to death franchises examples? Everyone knows (even if you haven't played it) that Superman 64 was a barely glorified hoop simulator, South Park for the Gamecube was barely tolerable, and that Chrono Trigger is the epitome of classic JRPG video games.

How about giving us your personal memories of games, entertainment, and media? Did you ever take a deep breath when you realized half way through a battle, that the emotional journey of a character was nearly over and the game was almost over? Did you ever have a game where you and your parents were both fully immersed, creating glowing memories and a sort of familial, collective joy and sense of excitement that is rarely experienced?

Lets move off the beaten path here and let me ask a question!

Which examples of the medium do you consider best? What games have you played, experiences you've had, and pure emotional tribulations you've been subject to because of the exploration of a world, struggle along a path, or other journey through a created world?

hydrolythe

Post by hydrolythe »

Well ok,
It began first when I got a great game called donkey kong (I believe it was a game & watch game). Then 1 year later, I got a gameboy color with a mediocre game called Elmo in grouchland. 2 years later I got a gameboy advance and played a great game called crash bandicoot XS and since then, I kept on busy playing video games for gba and later for ds, pc, wii and ps2. Later on, I tried to gather information of the gaming industry as a whole.

Maybe I don't belong here, but I just was here because I like it to learn more so that I can get games I can enjoy for the rest of my life.

I have token a deep breath once when a journey was over when I played Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. It was because of disappointment when I heard that the endig of the game was after a boss which I would have considered to be the mid-boss in a rpg.

I have never experienced a type of familial joy, due to the fact that my parents were not interested in gaming.

I should maybe do a top 100 favorite games to show what I believe is the best of the medium, but I don't think I will ever be able to do that.

I shall explain the emotional moments I ever had with a game if I will ever make my top 100 favorite games list.

Side note: The epitome of rpg's is The Magic of Sheherazade, because it was an nes game that featured both time travel and combined magic spells, which would later be the main reasons why chrono trigger is praised (This game had also both menu driven and Zelda style hand-to-hand combat).

bruce

Post by bruce »

Hydrolythe, you are a horrible person.

Starmaster was the best of the Star Raiders clones for the 2600. WAY better than Star Raiders itself. As good as the Supercharger one, which, well, required a Supercharger.

Space Shuttle was FUCKING AMAZING given the machine's limitations.

You want to talk shitty Atari 2600 games, how about E.T.? How about Pac-Man? How about 50 Shades Of Pong I Mean Video Olympics?

Flack

Post by Flack »

I was about to stick up for Space Shuttle myself. Space Shuttle is 8k, which is a fraction of the size of that "Jolt Country" banner at the top of this page. That game used every switch and slider available on the 2600, and may have been the first console "simulator", or as close as one could come back then.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I didn't remember "hydrolythe" at all, but he seemed like a good guy.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

While it was a parody game and was intended to remind us of the worst of the worst nasty practices by game designers, since it was intentionally made to be well-nigh unplayable, for the list of 100 Worst Video Games Ever Made, I nominate...

I Wanna Be the Guy
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak