Atari 800 help needed

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

bruce

Atari 800 help needed

Post by bruce »

Oh, mighty Walrustitty, god of all that is Atari 8-bit, I supplicate thee:

I got an Atari 800 here, but no power supply. It looks like the power supply iis some kind of coaxial thing maybe with a notch at the top. What voltages is it looking for? What's minimum current I need to be able to supply?

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Atari 800 help needed

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

bruce wrote:Oh, mighty Walrustitty, god of all that is Atari 8-bit, I supplicate thee:

I got an Atari 800 here, but no power supply. It looks like the power supply iis some kind of coaxial thing maybe with a notch at the top. What voltages is it looking for? What's minimum current I need to be able to supply?

Bruce
Did you ever need an answer to that? Because I got my 800 working and can provide this information.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

bruce

Re: Atari 800 help needed

Post by bruce »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Did you ever need an answer to that? Because I got my 800 working and can provide this information.
It's 110 VAC, I think.

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, after -- what? -- 30 years? The power supply to my Atari is dead. (Or my Atari 800 is dead.)

Unacceptable! (Not having a working 800, not the power supply dying after 30 years.)

Men, I'll be honest with you: I'm scared.

Flack

Post by Flack »

You should have grabbed one from my garage while you were out there. I have one sitting on the shelf, I think. Thing is, I don't have an 800, so I have no way of testing it. I can mail it to you, if you want.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

HERE IS HOW this thread is gonna work.

The 800 and 800 XL take a different power supply. I figured this out the hard way by buying them both.

I got my XL working.

If anyone needs a power supply to an 800 and is a poster in good standing, just bump this thread. Thank-you for loving Jolt Country Dot Com.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I was poking around and found this video on Youtube -- it's a tutorial for using an ATX power supply for an 800XL. Might be handy if yours craps out again.

I *think* the Atari 800 and 5200 use the same power supply, but I might be wrong on that.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Is it the same power just supplied in a different connector, or actually different voltages/amps?

Connector splicing is always a positive thing.

THE
COBBLED TOGETHER
AARDVARK