Next time, read the fine print

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Next time, read the fine print

Post by Tdarcos »

I bought another keyboard which came around June 22. As I mentioned earlier, this is the fourth keyboard I've bought this year, because I have them in my lap (or rather, on my stomach) in order to use them. I also bought badge clips (those things used to hold ID badges on clothing) that I had someone close the attachment clip onto the cord to allow me to clip it to the sheet or my gown to try to keep the keyboard from slipping off of me when I fall asleep and crashing to the floor, which usually ends up getting some of its teeth knocked out, err, I mean keys knocked out. Or in worst cases, part of the case breaking off.

Apparently the clip didn't work or it was not connected properly as I've had a couple of small problems. (1) The letter t seems to be a bit harder to make contact, but I think that's probably me not paying attention and missing it. (2) The other is minor: the + key on the numeric keypad has "collapsed" and looks like it is completely depressed; i can't seem to release it. Nor does pressing on it generate a +, regardless of the state of Num Lock.

In fact, while writing this article, while using as pair of scissors to release the PLUS key, I accidentally popped the ENTER key below it, which proceeded to fly off, but fortunately landed near my arm and I could retrieve it. Well, at least now the + key is fully exposed and (in theory) should be easy to release. It was, but putting it back still did not cause the key to work. However, I noticed the plus key, being much longer (it's double the height of a typical letter or number key), has two push-in squares underneath instead of one. Maybe I dropped the keyboard, the key came out, and I put it back wrong (and have no memory of having done it), or (I've mistaken factory error for drop damage and) the key was put in upside down at the factory, and nobody noticed. I'm suspecting the latter is more likely, as I probably never noticed anything was wrong with the PLUS key. So I tried flipping the + key, pushing it in, and it now works.

I guess to keep the two keys from being accidentally reversed when the employees in Shenzhen[1] are putting the keys in, the ENTER key, which is the same double height as the + key, has only one insertion square on the bottom instead of two.

Now all I need to do is reinsert the ENTER key. Now that's not working for me! Oh great, I fix a + key that (isn't working that) I never use, and break an ENTER key I do use (occasionally; typically I use the ENTER key above the right shift key.) I try moving it around a bit, and finally I get it back in, and it works.

I got off on a tangent, anyway, I was going to say that I originally considered filing a claim on the insurance I paid $2.99 for coverage on this $24 keyboard, since I'd broken at least 3 keyboards this year, I might end up filing a claim. So I looked at the product description (which I never scrolled down to look at when I originally purchased it) and right on the listing it says, "What is not covered: drops, spills, and cracked screens".

Great! I didn't purchase insurance (like I had with my former American Express Card that covered accidental damage, as I reported on three Android tablets I had broken at various times a few years ago) I purchased an extended warranty! Who needs an extended warranty on a keyboard? If you don't yank the cord, drop the keyboard, or pop keys out of it (like I did today to fix a problem, but I did put them back), even a cheap plastic one where pushing a key triggers a membrane is good for about a million keypresses for each key (or maybe 10 million for the whole keyboard); the paint on the keys will wear out long before the keyboard will; in fact your keyboard will probably last longer than you will keep your computer, for which they include a keyboard when you buy it.

So I took the option to cancel my extended warranty. And Amazon doesn't even require me to "return" the instructions which were e-mailed to me. Next time I think I'll purchase "insurance" on something I'll be sure to check what it actually covers.

In short, I will actually read the fine print in that case.

[1] The most popular place for building technology equipment in China is the city of Shenzhen, so the keyboard was probably assembled there, as the serial number sticker on the bottom says "Made in China".
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Flack

Re: Next time, read the fine print

Post by Flack »

All this time I thought ICJ and Pinback had implemented the "8 line rule" because they didn't want to read lengthy posts from Tdarcos, when in reality they were simply trying to keep him from wearing out keyboards by hitting that that million-character limit -- which, in Paul's gravity-cursed world, seems like an unlikely goal.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:55 pm All this time I thought ICJ and Pinback had implemented the "8 line rule"
Well, it did not apply to posts in Troll Room and relevant posts in the Interactive fiction boards, since answering a technical (programming/specfication) question can be both relevant and take longer than 8 lines, especially if it includes code examples.

I think it was cut off when my leg was. Does anyone really want to "be the bad guy" and tell a lonely man with only one leg to shut up?[1]

I do note when I've been asked not to discuss certain things or leave a thread alone I have complied.

[1] Oh, I supect Pinback could do it. He's had so much experience living an addicted, miserable life that being mean probably isn't much of a problem.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You may have lost a leg but you gained the ability to talk for as long as you want. Mr. Robinson, the floor is yours.

Hmm? Ah.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 am Mr. Robinson, the floor is yours.
Wow, I don't know if I can stand up to all this attention. (Cut to playing of Sir Elton John's I can't stand it.) I'll have to put my best... err, I mean put my one foot forward.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 am Hmm? Ah.
Are you quoting Benee from her song Supalonely? :wink:
"I've been lonely, mm, ah, yeah." :smile:

- J.R.R. Tolkien