Analysis of an Exposition

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Analysis of an Exposition

Post by Tdarcos »

In this reply to The Auto Body 101 posting, What do you guys think about those darned looters in Minnesota? I said:
Tdarcos wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:44 am I said this in my book, Instrument of God:
(I)n any civilized society, those that commit wrongdoing have to be punished. If they are not punished, they will continue to commit wrongdoing since they know they can continue to get away with it. This will make it impossible for society to function if people cannot expect to live their lives without interference from criminals that would pray on them with impunity. It is the lynchpin of any society, that which holds it together, the right to require that those who commit wrongdoing be punished in order to encourage them not to repeat their antisocial behavior. If they are not punished, they will continue to do so. They will continue to violate the rights of other people unless they are shown that if they do that, their rights will be violated.
This applies to the police, too.
The following response at this location was made (quoting the above, from me):
Finsternis wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:54 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:44 am (I)n any civilized society, [continues through] If they are not punished, they will continue to do so.
Oh, lord.

[condescending image]

Stupidest fucking belief and provably completely wrong.
Two things. First, he dropped my last sentence where I added "This applies to the police, too" in which I'm saying lawless police must also be punished.

Second, the above was Finsternis' entire response. Just a dismissal and no explanation why it is wrong. I thought the points were pretty much obvious. So I'm going to examine it, and unpack it to see if ant or all of them are "provably completely wrong," or "stupid." (Minor spelling errors have been corrected):
  1. In any civilized society, those that commit wrongdoing have to be punished.
  2. If they are not punished, they will continue to commit wrongdoing since they know they can continue to get away with it.
  3. This will make it impossible for society to function if people cannot expect to live their lives without interference from criminals that would prey on them with impunity.
  4. It is the linchpin of any society, that which holds it together, the right to require that those who commit wrongdoing be punished in order to encourage them not to repeat their antisocial behavior.
  5. If they are not punished, they will continue to do so.
  6. They will continue to violate the rights of other people unless they are shown that if they do that, their rights will be violated.
  7. This applies to the police, too.
I don't see any wrong or stupid ideas. But maybe I'm biased. So let's hear your opinion.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Billy Mays

Re: Analysis of an Exposition

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:03 pmSo let's hear your opinion.
Finsternis is trolling you, just ignore him like everyone else is and the problem will resolve itself.