So awesome to have no sportsball!

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Finsternis

Re: So awesome to have no sportsball!

Post by Finsternis »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am Finsternis, this BBS does properly block quote replies, and it will indicate who said what. However, you took my comments, then broke bock-quoting to make it look like I quoted a long conversation with you.
I did nothing except miss a tag somewhere. It had zero effect on what I said. It's not my fault that I';m unable to correct errors by editing after posting, or I would have fixed it.
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am Either you did it through intentional misconduct, simple negligence, or because you don't care.
As usual, you define the possibilities you think exist and don't admit there are any others. In this case, you missed the most obvious one: I made a mistake. You extreme paranoia notwithstanding, It happens to all of us.
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am where you could be wrong. Oh wait, you're never wrong, and I'm just a fool who should be ignored.
I never said I'm never wrong - you said that. I'm definitely wrong sometimes. When I am, I admit it. Unlike you.
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am In any case, there's really no reason to bother responding to someone who considers himself always right,
You also think you're always right. If you disagree, then tell me something you think you're wrong about.
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am everyone else to be worthless, and not even worth the time to at least be respectful to another person even if you don't agree with them.
I don't think everyone is worthless. Just some people. And everyone gets the respect they deserve, which is partly based on how much respect they show me.
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 amYou know, you're right about one thing. You don't have free will,
Nope, I don't. Neither do you. But I think we covered that well enough already.
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am as you seem to be unwilling to learn anything or make a change for the better.
"You're unwilling to make a change for the better!" says the man who is dying of diabetes while stuffing his face with candy.
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am"The better" to mean "to improve Finsternis' interactions with other people, so that they will at least be willing to think about and consider his ideas, even if they don't agree with him."
News flash: ad hominem is a fallacy. Whether I am right or wrong has nothing whatsoever to do with hoe much anyone likes me or not. Realizing that even people you dislike can have right ideas is part if what you lack - the dispassionate nature to see that, and the humility to admit it. As much as I think Donal Trump is the stupidest and worst person whop has ever existed, even he has said one or two things that thought were correct. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. You are simply not intellectually sophisticated enough to separate your ego and your logic, so your emotions interfere with both.
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am If all you want to do is troll, go someplace else. If you want to carry on a conversation, quit the attitude, and soon, before you are ignored.
How about I just do whatever the hell I want? I pick that option.
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Oh fuck you. You just come here insulting my friends while writing pages full of diareah no one cares to read.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:10 am Oh fuck you. You just come here insulting my friends while writing pages full of diareah no one cares to read.
So don't read it. Shrug.

And it's "diarrhea", by the way. Se the red line under the word you wrote?

- Max Tegmark

pinback

Post by pinback »

Maybe this isn't a great fit.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Finsternis wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:17 pm
Jizaboz wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:10 am Oh fuck you. You just come here insulting my friends while writing pages full of diareah no one cares to read.
So don't read it. Shrug.

And it's "diarrhea", by the way. Se the red line under the word you wrote?
Se.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Finsternis wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:28 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am Finsternis, this BBS does properly block quote replies, and it will indicate who said what. However, you took my comments, then broke bock-quoting to make it look like I quoted a long conversation with you.
I did nothing except miss a tag somewhere. It had zero effect on what I said. It's not my fault that I';m unable to correct errors by editing after posting, or I would have fixed it.
Pure bullshit from an asshole. At the bottom of this message box, when you're replying, is the "Review" button, which would have shown you how you did wrong, before posting, but you're either unable or unwilling to use it. Pure, 100% avoidable.
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:01 am Either you did it through intentional misconduct, simple negligence, or because you don't care.
As usual, you define the possibilities you think exist and don't admit there are any others. In this case, you missed the most obvious one: I made a mistake.
Except for one small detail. The review button would have showed you exactly what your message would look like, enough that the error would have been obvious. Ergo, no mistake, pure negligence. We don't matter to you, so you don't care. I've occasionally missed a tag, and it's always been, at worst, one paragraph. Yours is the whole message.

As you've decided we don't matter, I choose to do the same. You are hereby floccinaucinihilipilificated.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:52 amPure bullshit from an asshole.

He knows he's a piece of shit, all he cares about is getting people worked up and derailing the conversation. Insulting him or engaging him in any way whatsoever just plays into his hand. Just scroll past, don't read any of his nonsense, and don't talk to him. That's what really irritates him, when he puts all that effort into his obvious and pathetic troll tactics and people just ignore him.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Finsternis wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 pm You have no concept of how hard these games can be. If you think it's so easy, go get yourself well-ranked on one of the leading Esports games and then I'll reconsider.
This is absolutely amazing. It is the logical fallacy of "appeal to authority" with himself as the authority! And the deflection of saying that "if you disgree with what I say, I don't have to provide any evidence, instead you have to learn how and then prove my (unsupported) opinion wrong." I think that is called "reversing (or inverting) the burden of proof."
Finsternis wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:10 pm I caution you in the future to not make absurd statements about something you don't know the first thing about, especially when you're talking to someone how knows a lot about the subject. I don't feel like going through all the reasons you're wrong (history, financial, etc) - if you're curious, do some research yourself.
Again, amazing use of both a logical fallacy and "inverting the burden of proof," which can be summarized as, "I'm right, you're wrong (because I say so), and if you don't agree, do the research to prove it." For a man who claimed not to believe in God, he sure took a number of tricks from Christian apologetics.

Positive claims require positive evidence. Claims made without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.
Finsternis wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 pm Esports is growing exponentially, worldwide, has been doing so since long before any Pro Sportsball players were doing it, and will continue to do so. If those people had never appeared on ESPN it would not even make the tiniest drop in the bucket of Esports in terms of popularity and profitability. If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe Goldman Sachs, one of the biggest financial companies in the world, and what they have to say about it.

https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/p ... /e-sports/
https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/p ... aming.html
https://strivesponsorship.com/wp-conten ... Report.pdf
At least here he does present evidence. I don't care one way or the other, but on one point he's definitely wrong. The Washington Redskins have been using their name since 1947. Is he claiming eSports has been around since before 1947? I think the Green Bay Packers go back to the 1920s. Has eSports been around that long?

When Jack Kent Cooke died, his estate sold the Washington Redskins to Dan Snyder, a typical rich prick, for $750 million. I'm sure that's a huge increase over what it cost Cooke, and the franchise is probably worth a lot more now.

I'll look at these reports, now that I mention it, but I doubt eSports teams are worth tens or hundreds of millions, or able to pay players millions a year.

I looked at one of the reports. Estrimated prize pool for 2022 is $100 million, with net revenues of $3 billion. Okay, in that respect I am wrong. But the fact that eSports is very profitable relates to the (extremely) low cost to get into it. This means new teams, new leagues or groups could get involved, and if you bet on (err, I mean invest in) the wrong team and interest iades, you could be left with a worthless investment.

I'll presume for the sake of argument the numbers Goldman provides are true. I'm not sure how much every player on every NFL team is paid, but add them up and I'm sure it's more than $100 million, with the league and terms combined earning more trhan $3 billion, but if he had read the report he referred to, and then quoted figures, that would have been more credible.

I take this with a grain of salt, were the quoted figures audited by a reliable accounting firm - doesn't have to be one of the Big Four, but it should be someone with credibility - to verify the numbers? After all, these reports are created to convince people to invest, with Goldman taking a cut through sales commissions. Or more, if they're selling investments in a fund that invests in eSports.

As I see it, it's still speculative and things could change. Or something else could come up to interest the public and the supposed "exponential growth" could drop. Or it might be sustainable. Right now I see it as "just another Bitcoin." A high risk speculative investment; for those interested in gambling.
Finsternis wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 pm As for "it's still terrible to watch" - well, pro football, basketball, and baseball are all even worse to watch.
That is an opinion, and is not provable. I have never been interested in sports programs, this does not mean it's not interesting to others.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:52 am You are hereby floccinaucinihilipilificated.
There are no words you know that I don't. Deal with it.

- Max Tegmark

Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

By the way, Flack - I mention this not to be a dick but just because I thought you might be interested - a lot of pro sports are putting down huge bucks to build esports areas, like the patriots outside Boston.

https://helixesports.com/patriot-place/

- Max Tegmark

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Flack wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:56 pmThere's another forum member actively working on launching a videogame related non-profit -- maybe the two of you can combine forces. Have you met RetroRomper?
I'd be happy to preserve whatever BBQ sauce and jizz stained paper plate he wrote down his business plan on the back of.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Angry Stewart Payne

Post by Angry Stewart Payne »

Finsternis wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:29 am
Angry Stewart Payne wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:15 pm This is a joke right?
Funny, that's exactly what I thought to myself when Flack started worshipping the ground some football grunt walked on and claiming he was some kind of god. ;-)

"Me big guy! Me throw ball good! And catch! And run! Me highly skilled at throwing, catching, and running! And it only take me decades and hundreds of thousands of dollars to learn! Ooga!"
Holy shit what a stupid post.

I get it. You're a giant fat guy who can't do any of those things so for the sake of your ego you have to convince yourself it is bad but.

What a stupid post. I pity you, fatass.