Bloody Proud

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Bloody Proud

Post by Flack »

Last year, my son decided to donate blood on his sixteenth birthday. Around that same time, this man, Ron, had a liver transplant. He needed 8 units of blood, and apparently, some of that blood came from my kid.

This morning, Ron was the featured speaker at our local blood institute. Unbeknownst to him, the institute tracked down my son and invited him as a special guest to surprise Ron. There were (if I heard correctly) 59 donors in all, but the majority of them were out-of-state and we were local (and quick to respond). I always thought blood donation was anonymous, but apparently it's more of a "double blind" system.

At today's ceremony, Ron shared his story with a crowded banquet hall full of employees and donors. When he was done, the institute surprised him by introducing him to my son as "one of the people that saved your life."

All I can say is, I know how the Grinch felt when his heart grew multiple sizes. I don't know what life is all about, but raising a kid that's better than you are feels like doing the right thing.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Bloody Proud

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Is that a Steve Largent jersey? That's OUTSTANDING. I would have given my blood to that man as well.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Apparently so. Largent was from Oklahoma and was a politician -- I guess that's the connection.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

That's awesome! Never having donated blood ( or urine) I think thats a very kind and selfless act.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

As I said before.. outstanding! Man do I hate needles..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻