IRC, muds and telnet BBSs. What you need to know.

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: IRC, muds and telnet BBSs. What you need to know.

Post by Casual Observer »

bryanb wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:15 pm When you write to a prisoner, I don't think you generally include a cell number, but it would be awesome to put a cell number on the apartment number address line during the BBS signup process.
I know the answer to this: you include their inmate number. You can easily find the prison/jail roster online and pick out a fun sounding inmate to get their number and also what they did.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

"Never been to jail" is near the top of my list of Things I Am Thankful For.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Gimme two seconds to take my shoes off from work and I'll reset those passwords.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

bryanb wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 pm Are you still planning to bring back the original JC as a telnet BBS eventually? It'd be really cool to browse the old messages and file bases. I'll be sure to check out Den of Iniquity soon, but please tell me it isn't a stock Synchronet board. Those things are the bane of my online BBSing existence. Nothing against Synchronet as software -- it's great -- but way too many people set up Synchronet boards as a project and proceed to do absolutely nothing with them. There's just board after board that looks exactly the same and has absolutely nothing going on -- no messages, no files, no games. Synchronet by default also asks for way too much information from new users. I basically stopped visiting new BBSes when I couldn't answer the question, "Why did I just give some random French guy the ability to dox me anytime he wants?" I think I need to create a synthetic identity just to BBS with. My fake birthday is probably going to be July 7th, 1977 (7-7-77 would be easy to remember), but if anyone has some fake names, locations, addresses, and phone numbers to suggest I'd love to hear them.

The main problem with modern BBSing isn't that BBSes don't still serve a purpose and aren't still fun. They're great at what they do and are still totally fun to use. No, the problem is actually that everyone wants to be a Sysop and no one wants to be a user. I think that's kind of what happened here too...didn't Jonsey start his telnet BBS first only to have Pinback and Flack proceed to start their own? So you went from a situation where there was one BBS, one Sysop, and two potential users to one where there were three BBSes, three Sysops, and no users. Sysops can be users on other BBSes to be sure, but you know deep down they'd always rather be on their own BBS and running the show. Unfortunately, a BBS that doesn't have active users has empty forums, empty chats, and no one playing door games which is pretty sad and all too typical. By the way, we should totally start a Trotting Krips telnet BBS. We could have text adventures as door games and text adventures as downloads and text adventures as topics for discussion on the forums. No way that'd be another virtual ghost town, right?
This is literally what happened, by the way. Not being sarcastic, not that I would be this time of year. But yes, you 100% nailed it. :/
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

This took way longer than I intended, but I finally remembered to join Den of Iniquity today. Setup is easy and you seem to get full access on your first call so there's no reason not to join in the fun. I had hoped to use DoI as a testing point for one or more of the fake identities you guys suggested in this thread, but Robb only asks for name and city so I only ended up using Butner, NC. Sadly, no federal or law enforcement officials were impersonated during the account creation process.

Who is up for a virtual BBS event this weekend? It's not like anyone's doing anything due to stupid coronavirus so we might as well sit back and play some Trade Wars.