Barmoire Project

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Barmoire Project

Post by Flack »

Before:

After:

I worked on this for about 4 hours today. Total investment was around a hundred bucks, with 2/3 of that being LED lighting.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Re: Barmoire Project

Post by Flack »

Thought I would love the red, but the blue is growing on me. Looks better in person, especially with the lights dimmed and a drink in hand. I have quite a bit of the faux brick paneling left over and so tomorrow I plan on blocking out the gap on the outside of the shelves.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

That’s cool! Yeah, I like the blue better as well. Red would be nice for Halloween though
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ok, I did a thing on imgur for reddit. Here's a test drive:

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Whoa! Imgur in lined!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

I posted the pictures on Reddit and got 116 responses overnight. The top three responses were:

- You Good job! have inspired me to make something similar!
- You have shitty taste in alcohol.
- What is the story with that knight?

Some of those bottles of alcohol are probably 10 years old. Some are probably 20. A lot of them are those bottles that end up in the back of the liquor cabinet and get moved from house to house. I pulled everything out to stock the shelves for photography purposes, but... yeah. There's a lot of that stuff I wouldn't even trust to drink at this point.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am ashamed to say that it took me three days to understand the pun. I get it now!

The thing with Redditors is that no matter what you had there, one or a dozen of them is inclined to give their utterly worthless opinion about what booze was around.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Oh my god:

"I recommend reinforcing the shelves."

Jesus Flack, can't you do ANYTHING right?? That comment is like when I'm in the upper deck of a baseball stadium and a fan boos a called strike.

""That’s not bad for a couple of hours. If you can split the led strips somehow, I would suggest"

Hey Flack, a guy that does nothing but post on Reddit 23 hours a day thinks it is "not bad."

"That empty space does need filling but I'd avoid using that brick backing. "

Jesus Christ.

"Awesome, it needs a -- "
"It looks really nice, although it would look even better if -- "
"On a side note: agree wholeheartedly with the other commenters on your booze selection."

You had a really good attitude to those sperging idiots. Congrats, Flack!

Flack

Post by Flack »

The only one that even slightly got my goat was the one that said, "Since I can't say anything nice, I won't say anything" which is a really passive-aggressive way of being a fucking dick. If you think it sucks, say so.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This is why I'm off social media

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

AArdvark wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:17 pmThis is why I'm off social media
Reddit is not social media though. It's anti-social media.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It seems like everyone has to be a troll on some of those places.

Flack, how do make those bottles of booze last so long?

THE
TWO WEEKS MAX
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah, it’s admirable. I can’t even keep one bottle in my house because I don’t trust myself not to do something stupid with it lol.

That one damn idiot talking about the fake brick! The fake brick looks completely awesome! Again, this will look even more bad ass around Halloween if you turn on the red and put some fake cobwebs on it!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

I'd think you could get some glass storage in those thin side spaces? Maybe a larger shelf near the bottom for an ice bucket? You want to be traipsing all over the house just to assemble a drink after all.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I -like- the bricks in the back, it gives it a comedy club vibe. Don't listen to those social media idiot comments.

THE
TWO DRINK MINIMUM
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:14 pm Looks better in person, especially with the lights dimmed and a drink in hand.
Doesn't that comment apply to almost everything?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

No, a flaming bag of dog crap on one's front porch would not look better with dimmed lights and a drink.

THE
DING DONG!
AARDVARK

Edit: you did say ALMOST everything so you get a pass this time.

Flack

Post by Flack »

AArdvark wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:54 pm Flack, how do make those bottles of booze last so long?
So, I just went out and took another look. I think every bottle of wine and champagne was either a gift, or something we got by staying at a Bed and Breakfast. Other than the Captain Morgan, I doubt anything on the bottom shelf will get consumed any time soon (ever). The other bottles are things I bought for parties or guests, didn't get drank, and ended up put back in the shelf.
The Happiness Engine wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:08 pm I'd think you could get some glass storage in those thin side spaces? Maybe a larger shelf near the bottom for an ice bucket? You want to be traipsing all over the house just to assemble a drink after all.
Tell me what you think of this. It's a 4 bottle wine cooler -- website says assembled it's 8 inches wide. I could shift everything to the left an inch or two and put this on the right. It has a cool blue LED light inside, and I could change my other lights to match it. Then I could could store a tumbler with ice on top of it, and some glasses up on the top shelf (those airplane bottles are just there because they're there). Thoughts?

The Happiness Engine

A wine fridge's minimum temperature is usually something like 55F, so maybe not the greatest for ice. It IS great for: (red) wine, scotch, or cognac however! Anything you'd like to keep a bit cooler than the room, but not put ice in. UPDATE: oh, you mean an ice bucket ON TOP OUTSIDE the wine fridge. Yeah, that works, but be aware the fridge will need to be vented otherwise you're just cooking the ice during your party and will have to re-fill it more often. You could then make the left side mass-storage for airplane bottles because you know what DOES meet the TSA's "3-1-1" rule is a fukken' quart ziploc stuffed full of airplane bottles. Really enhances the entire airport experience.

Being surprisingly un-fancy at home, I recommend Some Guy's 20 minute rule: keep your white wine in the refrigerator, and let it warm up on the counter for 20 minutes before serving. For reds, reverse it: keep your wine on the counter and refrigerate. What I do is use my hand to warm white wine in the glass until I like it, and drop an ice cube in my red wine then let it warm to where I like it.

Some Guy is apparently Mark Phillips, and let me tell you his DVD/PBS Special where he slowly gets a bunch of 90s housefraus DRUNK is hilarious while really helping not only demystify but provide practical advice to wine dilemmas. (Slightly diluted merlot is better than too warm merlot! Keep air off open bottles by storing in smaller water bottles or just straight-up pour in a ziploc and freeze it! pour red wine directly from the fridge and just microwave it for 5-10 seconds!) And a good story about once buying a bottle of wine so expensive he couldn't enjoy it, at one point trying to squeeze some of a spill out of the tablecloth back into the glass.

The Happiness Engine

Dammit, Blame the gin: