PS3 mod

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

PS3 mod

Post by AArdvark »

So for Fathers Day my son gave me his PS3. He had threatened to give it to me earlier in the year so it wasn't any real surprise. I already have a PS3 but there's always room for one more, as Noah once said. Cool! I can softmod / jailbreak on this one without bricking mine. I was always a little disgruntled that Sony revoked the Load Other OS option and here's my chance to rectify it.

Then I looked into the PS3 specs. Did you know the PS3 only has 256 megs of ram? I have a Mac mini from 2002 that has more ram than that. Sure, that 8 core processor (actually, it's 2 4 core processors, I peeked) sounds nice and robust only it isn't, not really. You could maybe put a flavor of Puppy Linux on the thing but you'd have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get there. Nah, not worth it.

BUT! I could put my mini ATX in the case and PRETEND it's a modded PS3!

So here we go...

AArdvark

Re: PS3 mod

Post by AArdvark »

I changed my postimage password and didn't write it down. Naturally the new password is on the hard drive shown in the above picture, which doesn't help me here so I had to put the pix in my Google Drive.
Anyway, it's amazing how the motherboard fits in the PS3 case perfectly.

THE
SCHWEET!
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I have to cut out part of the old case and glue it into the PS3 so the mobo will sit properly. I also have to extend the power harness wires and install the front USB port, I don't want it underneath the shelf, I use it too much. I'm on the fence with the DVD drive. A standard drive is too big to fit inside and the original drive doesn't have a standard ribbon plug. I really don't use the CD drive that much so it might not make the transition. I can always get an external drive if I have to have one.

THE
MODIFICATIONS
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

In a rash moment I disassembled my desktop machine in the hopes that I'd pursue this project fastesr. All it really did was inconvenience me greatly.

Extended the power harness last night and am working on the leds and on switch this weekend.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Done! In a heated rush I assembled the the rest of the puzzle that is my HP pavilion mini in a PS3 case. It's weird because I was intending to use the PS3's on/off button and leds but I misplaced the stupid little harness when I took it apart last week. How could it simply vanish like that? I dunno but it's done and done now. I got my postimage password back as well so I can move stuff from my GDrive.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

You can barely see it but the headphone jack and front USB port are in the middle of the PS3 hard drive cover, right by the mouse.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I think we all enjoyed this.

I dunno about the PS3 as a console. Did it have any must have games? I honestly don't remember. You did right by it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I have yet to find a game for the thing that I find playable except for Mafia 2.