Hair Color for Men

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Hair Color for Men

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I don't know why this bugs me, but this bugs me.

Tdarcos said that Hostgator has a "$2.99 plan per month, no contract." The cheapest a cursory web search finds is this page - https://checkout.hostgator.com/signup/c ... SNAPPYC479 - where it is $4.99 a month for the worst shared hosting I've ever seen by feature/restriction set and renews at $8.95. So he was wrong about that. It's also bullshit to compare the bandwidth I have here with what Hostgator gets. Here are restrictions for Hostgator:
250,000 inodes limit. Cannot use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds. Cannot run any MySQL queries longer than 15 seconds. Account using more than 20 gigs of disk space will be removed from off site weekly backup. etc.
Why does the above matter to me? Because I had a website that I was paying Yahoo for back in 199-something and they deleted it because I had hotlinked an image on Walrustitty's forum. Deleted the entire thing, no warning given. I decided to never again fuck around with shitty web hosts and their nonsense terms and conditions. When I released any of my games over the years I hosted them here and there wasn't any trouble. Thousands of downloads, all went fine.

The best part is, he's had a flawless experience here for, what, ten years and thinks he has the right to complain about the cost, even though it costs him nothing and he's the first person to complain if the web community he participates in does happen to have down side. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck you.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Spirit of kindness laid to rest

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I have to agree with AArdvark on this one, attacking a severely disabled person like you did was pretty low.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

But I didn't say anything to you.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

But his head aint disabled. Well, maybe his courtesy gland is.

THE
ASSBURGERS
STRIKES AGAIN
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Jesus, I get a whole VPS for $200/yr but that requires you to be your own sysadmin.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I have the Baby Plan at HostGator. It's $5.95/month, but the only way to actually get it that cheap is to buy the max which is 36 months. That works out to $214.20 for three years.

When I signed up it said "unlimited" bandwidth and storage, but they've since changed that to "unmetered," which is in line with AT&T's "unlimited*" plans, where the asterisk means "as long as it falls into their definition of normal use, which they will not define until you cross it."

For what it's worth, this is why I did it.

For more than 10 years, I had a Cox Business Internet account at my residential address. When I signed up it was $69.99/month for 20 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up (20/3). This was at a time when most people were getting slower speeds, and shared (mine was dedicated) with a static IP address. It was a good deal when I signed up and I got my money's worth.

So, for ten years, I was my own web host. I ran my own server at the house. And for a long time, 3 Mbps up was enough. But then I started running WordPress, and then I started running multiple WordPress sites, and then I started publishing podcasts. Each time I posted a new podcast, somewhere between 1,000 and 1,5000 podcatchers would all hit my house at the same time, effectively launching a denial of service attack and making the internet unusable for a few hours.

Being your own sysadmin is great and terrible. It's great because if you want ASP and PHP and PERL and everything else installed, you just do it. And if you want more hard drive space you just add a hard drive. It's great... until a hard drive dies or you lose power or your cable modem goes tits up or any other number of things happen. None of those things are insurmountable but all of them lead to downtime and typically to juggling evening plans.

One day I got a note from Cox letting me know my business plan was being phased out. I was offered $79/month for 25/5 (a slight cost increase and slight bandwidth bump), or for $154/month I could get 100/20. By now, my 20 Mbps down was showing its age. Even the lowest residential accounts around here were running circles around me.

So, I checked into them. For $50/month, I could get 100/10, so that's what I ended up doing. Even with the $5.95/month hosting from HostGator added to that total, it was still way below the $154/month they wanted for the business account. I actually ended up saving even more money, because Cox doesn't include business accounts in their tv/phone/internet bundles, so I was paying full price for a phone and cable TV on top of my business account. By switching back to residential, I was able to get one of their bundles and lower the cost of my cable and phone bill, too.

So, that's how I ended up with HostGator. Their tech support is, by and large, garbage. Every time my website does down -- at least twice a month -- I contact their online support and they act like somehow it's a problem with my site and not their server (even though I have like 5 domains down), an act they maintain until whatever they're rebooting reboots. In the end you get what you pay for. I pay for rock bottom hosting, and that's what I get.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."