Thinking about a project

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Thinking about a project

Post by AArdvark »

Does anyone have access to a figit spinner that can do a small experiment for me? I'm thinking about making one but I need something checked out first

K Thanks

THE
PRE FLIGHT
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

I think I know what you want to try, and it's okay, they already make them like that:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/535485239/ ... less-steel
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Grant Thompson, "The King of Random" does amazing experiments and melted a bunch of metal fidget spinners in a crucible in his home made casting furnace at 2,000 degrees. This might give you ideas.

[youtube][/youtube]
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Wow, it's like wading through fifty yards of seaweed in order to get to the beach around here. Seriously, does anyone own one or have access to one? I'm not building one and then finding out it wont do what I want. I don't want to melt, or insert, one of the things.

THE
FUNNY ON TOP
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

No, none of us own one, because we aren't six years old.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I have access to one: what did you want to know?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

OK, using masking tape and a fine sharpie, you write letters or parts of a logo on each of the lobes so that when the device is spun the word or entire logo is able to be seen.

For example, take the Atari logo. Each lobe has one of the red swipe lines and maybe a letter or two. When you spin it you can see the whole thing put together, without the use of a strobe light or anything. I'm not sure if it will work and I don't want to make one just to find out it wont work out properly.

THE
RESEARCH
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

My wife and I just went to the store and when I got in the car I saw one of those spinners in the floorboard. I guess last month's fad is this month's car silt.

While holding the center, I gave the thing a flick. The thing spins so fast that the outer spindles essentially become invisible. I held the thing on front of a piece of paper and could easily read the paper the entire time.

If you spun it really slowly you *might* be able to do what you're imagining, but you would have to turn it so slowly that it would only spin for a couple of seconds.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So you're tellin' me there's a chance...

Well that's good enough for me. I was only about 30 percent invested anyway. The whole thing started because my nephew was 3D printing his own figit spinners and I thought that might be fun to make one of my own. When I threw out my roller blades I kept all the bearing sets. Two sets went into the wind spinner thing on my garage roof at my last house and the rest are still sitting in a box. I was thinking that I could get some use out of them for a change. Oh well.

THE
ROAD LESS TRAVELED
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

none of us own one, because we aren't six years old.
I think these things are either this generation's yo-yo or a response to the need for constant stimulation in the youth of today. Or both.

THE
ADHD
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:OK, using masking tape and a fine sharpie, you write letters or parts of a logo on each of the lobes so that when the device is spun the word or entire logo is able to be seen.
In books it's called a "flip book" you draw an image, like a stick figure jumping rope, and each page you move the image a little until it's back to the original spot. Flip through the pages and it's where animation / movies came from.
AArdvark wrote:I'm not sure if it will work and I don't want to make one just to find out it wont work out properly.
Go on line and find a drawing of a fidget spinner such that you can push the center on a pen or pencil. Draw the images on the arms. Cut the paper spinner out, then impale the center with the pen/pencil or cut a hole to fit something not having its own point. Spin the pencil/pen. Done right, you get the effect. Done wrong, it's anything from wobbly to a blur.

Hint. Use a vector program like Inkscape as you can make the template image the same, then overlay the same image on each leaf, then remove duplicate images on each leaf until you get what you want. then you can print the result on paper or plastic laminate and stick it onto the spinner.

Quick test mode: Use an image of a daisy shape with the hole in the center and spin that on a pen or pencil.

Easy way to get free supplies: Go to a Fedex Office and ask for a couple of 1/2 page Fedex mailing labels for computer printed shipping tags. (For those that ship a lot, Fedex will ship you a 25 label pack for free.) The top is a paper 1/2 sheet and the bottom is a 1/2 page, roughly 8" x 5" blank shipping label that can be peeled, but you could print anything on it or cut it as desiredc.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Flack

Post by Flack »

AArdvark wrote:So you're tellin' me there's a chance...

Well that's good enough for me. I was only about 30 percent invested anyway. The whole thing started because my nephew was 3D printing his own figit spinners and I thought that might be fun to make one of my own. When I threw out my roller blades I kept all the bearing sets. Two sets went into the wind spinner thing on my garage roof at my last house and the rest are still sitting in a box. I was thinking that I could get some use out of them for a change. Oh well.

THE
ROAD LESS TRAVELED
AARDVARK
I'll record a couple of test videos tonight and shoot you the link.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Thank you!

There's free stuff at FedEx if, you know, if you were wondering.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:Thank you!

There's free stuff at FedEx if, you know, if you were wondering.
You also reminded me, they have waybill bags, these are transparent envelopes that have a sticky back. Cut the sides, bottom and the ziploc strip at the top, and you get a piece of adhesive laminate you could run through a printer.

Those 1/2 sheet paper labels I mentioned in my previous missive are also good when printing FIM marked barcoded mail. It's good for increased automation and faster service.

See? I can be as inane as you!
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What free stuff can you get at Aldi's

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:What free stuff can you get at Aldi's
Dunno, they even charge for shopping bags. Maybe cardboard boxes.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ok dropping the figit spinner idea. It was sketchy at best and a thin fad. So instead I'm making a Frankenstein switch. Seen them on Make.com and thought they look cool.

A hunk of laminate floor and some random aluminum over a standard light switch. Looks cool, gonna put it in the studio downstairs.

THE
RRRRRRRR
LIGHT GOOD, FIRE BAD
AARDVARK

EDIT:

AArdvark

Re: Thinking about a project

Post by AArdvark »

OK, I'm hijacking this thread because I cant find the one where I circuitbent my Casio keyboard.

I have three more keyboards that I'm planning on circuit bending. Stay tuned to this thread for updates.

here's the one I did a couple years ago.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Sounds like Japanese anime music played on a walkman that is almost out of batteries. Quite captivating.