AArdvark drops 20 favorite songs

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

AArdvark drops 20 favorite songs

Post by AArdvark »

Because now it's trend. I don't have 'favorite' songs and I could never make a list of top 100 songs because they'd all plateau around #8 and that's that. But I do like the funny, so many of the songs I like are funny. Not all, but many. So here are (or will be) 20 songs I like.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This is one of the funniest pieces of classical music ever. And classical isn't known for teh funny. I found this on vinyl at the HOG and still have it in my record bin.
Last edited by AArdvark on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Doctor Demento rules! What more to say? Grew up listening to his show and this was almost always in the Funny Five.
Last edited by AArdvark on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well at least this video has clips from HWY in it. The best song ever. After the Soft Parade they ditched their producer and orchestra and went back to being a blues band. Which is what they were all the time. Brilliant!

Flack

Post by Flack »

AArdvark wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Doctor Demento rules! What more to say? Grew up listening to his show and this was almost always in the Funny Five.
That's where I heard this one too, and it's also on my phone. I think it was included on one of the Dr.'s anniversary CD collections.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

These guys did it better than the Animals. Too bad they never did anything else.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Because Tchaikovsky used cannons in a piece of music and it was way before AC/DC did it. My mom had this big 10 record Reader's Digest collection of classical works on vinyl and I stole it away to my room where I played them over and over. now I'm all cultured and everything because of it. This was the best piece out of all of them.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

As you know, one of my best friends was a roadie for these guys on their east coast tours. This was back in the late 80's. I never liked them until I got to hang out with them at The Ritz one wild night in New York. Then I started listening harder to their music. I'm not a deadhead (god no!) but some of the music is pretty good.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The bass in this is so hypnotic that I got dizzy the first time I heard it with headphones. Then Gilmour comes screaming in with those whammy bar power dives. Incredible stuff.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I can't pick the best song from this album so here's the whole thing. It was either this or Who's Next.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

And now... a commercial.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

AArdvark wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

The bass in this is so hypnotic that I got dizzy the first time I heard it with headphones. Then Gilmour comes screaming in with those whammy bar power dives. Incredible stuff.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah this was my top Pink Floyd song, and in the 105-110 range. Excellent pick.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This one fell into the list almost by accident. I don't love country music, buuuuut....

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The epic that is Dire Straits.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I know it aint 20 but that's all folks.

THE
CONTRACTUAL
OBLIGATION
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I'm a bit behind listening to everyone's lists. You, Flack and Greg all posted at once and then I left for a week. I wish that I had your playlists for the trip, but, alas I did not. I had to listen to dubstep on the plane.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Re: AArdvark drops 20 favorite songs

Post by AArdvark »

This is the first piece of music that actually painted a picture for me. It was Halloween time in 1975 and my fourth grade music teacher played this and explained the story that the music was telling. Utterly fascinating and just a little bit spooky because I have a vivid imagination.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well I had this one a long time ago and I played it until my brother threw the record out the front upstairs window. Might have had the volume on my portable record player up too loud or something. There's a couple three songs that will make you want to drink Draino but back when I was small they were cool.

Oh yeah, I just remembered something. Over time a skip developed on the record so it would play:

"Me too," said Old Man Thunder.

Perhaps that's the reason why my brother flung it to the sidewalk of death.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I had heard this great song for years on WCMF but it was one of those few that I never learned the name and artist.
Finally (this must have been around 1990) I called Dave Kane, the on-air DJ at the time and just asked him. It was that easy.

So now you know the rest of the story.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I just noticed that in all these 100 song lists there is not one show tune