My favorite 100 songs, but I wonder

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

My favorite 100 songs, but I wonder

Post by Tdarcos »

I'm wondering why everyone put their 100+ song lists in this forum instead of Kings Quarters.

I'm going to announce in advance that I will do back-to-back postings, since I don't think I could name the top 100 songs I like in one quick setting, other than I can probably say the top 2 or 3 off the top of my head. But there are many good ones.

I checked the directory of music videos on my network drive, which are videos downloaded from You Tube and don't include songs I've ripped from CDs I own or the ones I have that I originally downloaded from Napster (those are in the Audio directory). I'm sure there will be duplicates, like one is a version with lyrics and one is the performance video, but currently I have 2701 videos.

Note that except for the top 10 they are not necessarily in order by which ones I like the most; that would probably take way too long to take the time to write that precise a list,

Some might not be my best favorites and some of my favorites I might not have but off the top of my head I can probably name 10 or 20 I really, really like.

And I hope you'll like them too.

#100 - Richard Harris, "There Are Too Many Saviors on My Cross"
[youtube][/youtube]

This is not necessarily my least favorite as much as I have to start somewhere.

I first bought this as a 45 RPM over 30 years ago and it is possible it was a B-Side. Harris, probably most famous either for his performance of Jimmy Webb's "McArthur Park" or as the original actor playing Dumbledore in the Harry Potter film franchise, wrote this spoken-word plea for peace in Northern Ireland during The Troubles of the 1960s, with a dramatic musical score to back up his words. Very striking and poignant

#99 - Aha, "Take On Me"
[youtube][/youtube]
I probably listen to this one more than any other reason because it's at the top of the directory which is auto-sorted on name. The video of this one has a very interesting effect where the singer pulls a very attractive lady into the comic book he's inside of, where there is a magic mirror; look at someone and they're a black and white drawing, but if they're on the other side of the mirror they appear as flesh and blood.

#98 - Heart, "These Dreams"
[youtube][/youtube]
I'm not sure if this is as much a "favorite" or just one that the subject matter creeps me out. A woman talks about how the world is in dreams, and nothing is real. Kind of spooky.

#97 - Manfred Mann, "Blinded By The Light"
[youtube][/youtube]
I don't think I liked this one when I first heard it because some of the lyrics are unintelligible. And I don't like the version by the songwriter Bruce Springsteen, I've gotten used to the much faster pace Manfred Mann does it at in this release. I think I originally thought it was about a woman who was raped: "She was blinded by the light / Racked up like a douche / Until they rolled her in the night..." Which is not what was sung.

#96 - A Flock Of Seagulls - "I Ran (So Far Away)"
[youtube][/youtube]

I think the "rumble" at the opening and the rolling beat after that are what I like most about this song.

I'm going to stop here and "I'm gonna take a little time, a little time to think things over." and consider the rest.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Billy Mays

Re: My favorite 100 songs, but I wonder

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote:I'm wondering why everyone put their 100+ song lists in this forum instead of Kings Quarters.
It was Robb's idea, Robb posted his list here first, and then I followed here because it is his board.

Also, your list as it is now just needs one Patty Smyth song to be infinitely superior to Robb's list.

ICJ

Re: My favorite 100 songs, but I wonder

Post by ICJ »

Billy Mays wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:I'm wondering why everyone put their 100+ song lists in this forum instead of Kings Quarters.
It was Robb's idea, Robb posted his list here first, and then I followed here because it is his board.

Also, your list as it is now just needs one Patty Smyth song to be infinitely superior to Robb's list.
This base is for Celebrity Monologues and I knew that when I started my list I would be doing a lot of writing, talking, joke-sharing and raconteuring. That trumps whatever the subject happens to be about. If you look at the history of the Orc's Head Tavern it should be mostly made up of threads going, "Hey, I am a person, and this is my opinion on something!!"

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

"She was blinded by the light / Racked up like a douche / Until they rolled her in the night..."
Please to post more interpreted song lyrics. That was pretty funny. Reminds me that as a youngster I used to recite the Pledge of Allegiance as: "I lead the pigeons to the flag...".

THE
NOT THAT
SONGWRITER
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Please to post more interpreted song lyrics. That was pretty funny. Reminds me that as a youngster I used to recite the Pledge of Allegiance as: "I lead the pigeons to the flag...".
Why does Richard Stans own this country? Because "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for Richard Stans..."

"I see Bad Mooin Rising... Don't go home tonight, 'cause it's bound to take your life. There's a bathroom on the right..."

"She's got it, yeah baby she's got it. Well, I'm your penis, I'm the power, of your desire..."

"It's all right, it's okay, and you can look the other way. We don't try, to understand, the New York Times don't pay my rent."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

When I got finished, I had two extras and I didn't want to try to decude what to drop. So this list has 102 songs. Here are the extra two.

#102. Michael Jackson - "Human Nature"
[youtube][/youtube]

I could probably pick six songs from MJ as easy as one. "Billie Jean," "Thriller," "Don't Stop," "Beat it," "Don't Stop 'Till Yoo Get Enough" and
many others but I just like this one a little more.

#101. A Flock Of Seagulls, "I Ran (So Far Away)"
[youtube][/youtube]

A nice beat, nothing more.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#95. Simple Minds, "Don't You (Forget About Me)"
[youtube][/youtube]

I emember this from the movie The Breakfast Club.

#94. Stealer's Wheel, "Stuvk in the Middle With You"
[youtube][/youtube]

Bwfore Gerry Rafferty decided to go as a solo act he was the lead singer for Stealer's Wheel. Now, the words are prescient to my own situation, "I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair / And I'm wonderin' how I'll get down the stairs..."

#93. Barry Manilow, " Looks like We Made It"
[youtube][/youtube]

Some say Manilow is "too soft," and I think this one proves otherwise.

#92. Neil Diamond, "America"
[youtube][/youtube]

Diamond has done a lot of songs, but this one is probably my favorite.

#91. Soft Cell - "Tainted Lov"
[youtube][/youtube]

"But I'm sorry, I don't pray that way."

#90. Dave Matthews Band, "Grey Street"
[youtube]'[/youtube]

The imagery in this song is amazing. "There's an emptiness inside her / And she'll do anything to fill it in / And while it's red blood bleeding from her now / It feels like cold blue ice in her heart..."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#89. The Sugarhill Gang, "Rapper's Delight"
[youtube][/youtube]

There are perhaos 6 versions of this song ranging in lengths from 1:01 all the way up to a "In a gadda la vida" class full version that runs 14:45!
This one herre is probabkty the radio versuibm and includes the "Food Rap" piece which I think is the best part of the song. It's just fun.

#88. Steve Winwood, "Valerie"
[youtube][/youtube]

He has many great songs but this is my favorite.

#87. Air Supply, "Lost in Love"
[youtube][/youtube]

"You know you can't fool me, I've been watching you too long."

#86. Andy Gibb, "An Everlasting Love"
[youtube][/youtube]

"And I won't make you blue. And maybe an everlasting love will do."

#85. King Harvest, "Dancing in the Moonlight"
[youtube][/youtube]

Just fun to listen to. And as they sang, "You can't dance and stay uptight."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#84. New Colony Six, "Things I'd Like to Say"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Sometimes love hurts / And sometimes love's unkind / And sometimes, you might feel blue / But remember, now darling / If his words are real / This will never, never happen to you."

#83. Elton John, "Tiny Dancer"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Looking on / She sings the songs / The words she knows, tune she hums."

#82. England Dan and John Ford Coley, "Love is the Answer"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Tell me are we alive / Or just a dying planet / What are the chances?"

#81. Gino Vanelli, "I just Wanna Stop"
[youtube][/youtube]

#80. Billy Idol, "Eyes Without a Face"
[youtube][/youtube]

"When I'm far from home / Don't call me on the phone / To tell me you're alone."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#79 Belinda Carlisle, "Heaven is s Place on Earth"
[youtube][/youtube]

#78. Donovan, "Wear Your Love Like Heaven"
[youtube][/youtube]

#77. Seal, "Crazy"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Well we're never gonna survive unless, we get a little... crazy."

#76. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, "Fool on the Hill"
[youtube][/youtube]

#75. Charlie Dore, "Pilot of the Airwaves"
[youtube][/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#74. Merilee Rush, "Angel of the Morning"
[youtube][/youtube]

#73.Tears For Fears, "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"
[youtube][/youtube]

#72. Tears For Fears, "Shout"
[youtube][/youtube]

#71. Fall Out Boy, "Thnks Fr th Mmmrs"
[youtube][/youtube]

#70. Dion, "Abraham, Martin and John"
[youtube][/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#69. Derek and the Dominoes, "Layla"
[youtube][/youtube]

This is actually two songs in one. The "piano recital" is essentially a second song.

#68. Marc Cohn, "Walking in Memphis"
[youtube][/youtube]

#67. Mr. Mister, "Kyrie"
[youtube][/youtube]

#66. The Friends of Distinction, "Love or Let Me Be Lonely"
[youtube][/youtube]

#65. Taylor Dayne, "Love Will Lead You Back"
[youtube][/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#64. The Jets, "Make It Real"
[youtube][/youtube]

Looks like I didn't notice I deleted #63.

#62. Earth, Wind, and Fire, "Fantasy"
[youtube][/youtube]

#61. Tommy James and the Shondells, "I Think We're Alone Now"
[youtube][/youtube]

#60. Bob Lind, "Elusive Butterfly"
[youtube][/youtube]

This song went to #1 in 1966. Lind was a "one hit wonder"

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#59. Roger Whittaker, "New World in the Morning"
[youtube][/youtube]

#58. Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, "This Girl is a Woman Now"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Then one night, her world was changed / Her life and dreams were rearranged / She would never be the same again."

#57. Moody Blues, "Nights in White Satin"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Beauty I've alwasys missed / With these eyes before / Just what the truth is / I can't say anymore."

#56. Gerry Rafferty, "Home and Dry"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Feeling tired, but I feel good. 'Cause I did everything I said I would."

#55. Arlo Guthrie, "City of New Orleans"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Good morning America how are ya? / Say don't you know me, I'm your native son? / I'm the train they call 'The City of New Orleans' / I'll be gone 500 miles when the day is done"

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#54. Atlantic Starr, "Always"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Oooh youy're like the sun / Chasing all the rain away / When you come around / You bring brighter days."

#53. Badfinger, "Come and Get It"
[youtube][/youtube]

#52. Bananarama, "Cruel Summer"
[youtube][/youtube]

#51. The Go-Gos, "Vacation"
[youtube][/youtube]

#50. The Beatles, "The Ballad of John and Yoko"
[youtube][/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#49. Benny Mardones, "Into the Night"
[youtube][/youtube]

#48. Bob Lind, "Elusive Butterfly"
[youtube][/youtube]

#47. Bonnie Raitt, "I Can't Make You Love Me"
[youtube][/youtube]

#46. Icehouse, "Electric Blue"
[youtube][/youtube]

#45. Chris De Burgh, "Lady in Red"
[youtube][/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#44. Christopher Cross, "Ride Like The Wind"
[youtube][/youtube]

#43. Dan Fogelberg, "Another Auld Lang Syne"
[youtube][/youtube]

#42. Desmond Dekker and the Aces, "Israelites"
[youtube][/youtube]

#41. Don McLean, "American Pie"
[youtube][/youtube]

#40. Dion, "Abraham, Martin, and John"
[youtube][/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#39. Dionne Warwick and Jeffrey Osborn, "Love Power"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Saw a psychic, in L.A., just the other day." Kind of ironic since she was the prime shill in infomercials for the _Psychic Friends Network.

#38. Dire Straits, "Sultans of Swing"
[youtube][/youtube]

#37. Don Henley, "End of the Innocence"
[youtube][/youtube]

#36. Jay Ferguson, "Thunder Island"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Caught by the rain / And blinded by the lightning / We rode the storm out there on Thunder Island."

#35. Duran, Duran, "Rio"
[youtube][/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#34. Cat Stevens, "Morning Has Broken"
[youtube][/youtube]

One of the most beautiful declarations of what it means to be alive.

#33. Eagles, "Life in the Fast Lane"
[youtube][/youtube]

"He had a nasty reputation as a cruel dude / They said he was ruthless, they said he was crude."

#32. Everything, "Hooch"
[youtube][/youtube]

#31. Gary Wright, "Dream Weaver"
[youtube][/youtube]

#30. Jackson Browne, "Running on Empty"
[youtube][/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#29. Dave Matthews Band, "Ants Marching"
[youtube][/youtube]

This might be AArdvark's favorite song during meals.

#28. Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, "Islands in the Stream"
[youtube][/youtube]

#27. Lobo, "Don't Expect Me to Be Your Friend"
[youtube][/youtube]

#26. Doobie Bros., "Long Train Running"
[youtube][/youtube]

#25. The Clash, "Train in Vain (Stand by Me)"
[youtube][/youtube]

Ben E. King's "Stand By Me" probably precedes this song by 20 or more years, so probably so it wouldn't be confused, the superfluous "Train in Vain" (which is never sung) was added.