My favorite 100 songs, but I wonder

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#24. The Four Tops, "Bernadette"
[youtube][/youtube]

#23. John Stewart, "Gold"
[youtube][/youtube]

Until I saw the video someone did for this, I had heard the line "driving over Kanan" and didn't know it was referring to Kanan Road in Southern California.

#22. Patty Smyth, "Because the Night"
[youtube][/youtube]

She's also listed as Patty Smith. This is another song written by Bruce Springsteen.

#21. Johnny Rivers, "Summer Rain"
[youtube][/youtube]

Another really powerful love song.

#20. Genesis, "Invisible Touch"
[youtube][/youtube]
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#19. Peter Cetera, "The Glory of Love"
[youtube][/youtube]

#18. Journey, "Faithfully"
[youtube][/youtube]

#17. The Grass Roots, "No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Jocko says yes and I believe him / When we talk about the things I say / She hasn't got the faith or the guts to leave him / When they're standing in each other's way."

#16. Edwin McCain, "Could Not Ask For More"
[youtube][/youtube]

One of the greatest statement about a loved one: "Right here in this moment, is right where I want to be. Here with you, here with me!"
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

#15. Bee Gees, "Nights on Broadway"
[youtube][/youtube]

#14. Bee Gees, "Night Fever"
[youtube][/youtube]

This has a funnier line than "Nights on Broadway": "There is dancing out there / If there's something we can share / We can steal it."

#13. Kenny Logins, "I'm Alright"
[youtube][/youtube]

#12. Toto, "Africa"
[youtube][/youtube]

#11. U2, "Pride (In the Name of Love)"
[youtube][/youtube]
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Coming into the home stretch!

#10. Martin Page, "In the House of Stone and Light"
[youtube][/youtube]

"I shall not cry for the blind man I leave behind / When I go / In the house of stone and light."

#9. The Stylistics, "Betcha By Golly Wow"
[youtube][/youtube]

Russell Tompkins came out of Philadelphia to form this gtroup, and this is possibly one of the greatest love songs written.

"There's a spark of magic in your eyes / Candyland appears each time you smile / Never thought that fairy tales came true / But they come true / When I'm near you."

#8. Anita Baker, "Sweet Love"
[youtube][/youtube]

I could have named almost any of her songs, they're all good.

"Hear me calling out your name / I feel no shame / I'm in love / Sweet love / Don't you ever go away / It'll always be this way."

#7. The Grass Roots, "Temptation Eyes"
[youtube][/youtube]

I almost chose "Midnight Confessions" but I like this a little better.

"Temptation eyes, lookin' through my-my-my soul."

#6. Moby, "South Side"
[youtube][/youtube]

Some "friends" - essentially a street gang - worry as they travel around town if they'll even live very long. My friend Andrea liked this song too.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

And last but not least

#5. Joe Jackson, "Steppin' Out"
[youtube][/youtube]

"You, can dress in pink and blue just like a child / An in a yellow taxi turn to me, and smiled."

#4. Climax, "Precious and Few"
[youtube][/youtube]

"And if I can't find my way back home / It just wouldn't be fair."

#3. Bob Seger, "Even Now"
[youtube][/youtube]

There are many ways a man can express how he feels about his woman, and Seger does it powerfully here. Not the same as the song with the same name by Barry Manilow.

#2. Bob Welch, "Sentimental Lady"
[youtube][/youtube]

My brother doesn't like this song. But the words struck something in me. There are two versions of this song, one Welch did when he was with Fleetwood Mac and the other on his own. One line of lyrics is different in each. The Fleetwood Mac version has two extra lines, "Now you are here today, but easily you might just go away / 'Cause we live in a time when paintings have no color, words don't rhyme." His version also has a "warmer" sound.

#1. Fleetwood Mac, "Everywhere"
[youtube][/youtube]

I used to think "Sentimental Lady" was my favorite until I heard this. The "trill" at the opening blew me away first time I heard it.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I don't know what to make of this list? Paul's Bananarama pick was brilliant, and then he managed to somehow find a bad Beatles song in the same post.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

The Peter Cetera pick was epic.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote:I don't know what to make of this list? Paul's Bananarama pick was brilliant, and then he managed to somehow find a bad Beatles song in the same post.
"Engage reflexively in sexual intercourse, inclusive of your equine transport"[1] This was a lot of work and I had to make some sacrifices, plus errors (96 and 101, 40 and 70 are the same song ; the first 5 (100-96) I did off the top of my head, the others were in one batch cut into about 19 pieces; I missed changing #23 from HTTPS to HTTP on the inline reference, even though I read every single item before submitting it.)

Look, I'm not a big Beatles fan AND I happen to like that one. "Reasonable people can disagree over controversial issues." I also had no trouble picking ONLY one. But for Tears for Fears (73, 72) and The Bee Gees (15,14) I had to pick two. And (1,2) I picked a Fleetwood Mac song and one by a former FM member.

When I was doing the list I was thinking of what songs I like the most and the only ones I was absolutely certain of, and their order, were #1 and #2; the rest I moved around as I dropped some known duplicates, and moved some because some I like more than others, and I'd say 1-30 I agree with most of the selection and order and I definitely agree on the top 20.

The hardest part was collecting the links and formatting them for PHPBB so they would show up as videos so those you did not know you could hear. I actually dropped one off my list because YouTube no longer has a video of it (even though I do). And I chose actual performances first, then ones with lyrics, then anything available.

Maybe I'll do a "Top 200" and include some where I had several songs an artist did (everything by Anita Baker except "I apologize" even though I do like the song) and some I like but couldn't squeeze in a Top 100 list (ELO, Credence Clearwater Revival, Olivia Newton John, Elvis, Ronnie Milsap, and more) but if I did it would be sans You Tube links, that was a big headache.

Of the circa 2700 music videos I have in my collection, how many have I listened to at least once? All of them; it just allows me to re-listen without having to use Internet to hear it again. (At least T-Mobile excludes YouTube views in their high-speed data cap so I don't have to keep them in the tiny space on my smart phone.)

Whenever I back up those files, it requires several hours and 57.8 gigabytes of space. But at least I only have to do that once each time I replace a backup device. Since I do triple redundant now, a dropped drive is no longer a disaster (as it was three years ago when I reported here that I dropped both backups of my music I made of leaving them in the same spot), now it's just another $120 for a 4-TB external drive and $150 for a 3-TB NAS.
Billy Mays wrote:The Peter Cetera pick was epic.
Thank you. If I hadn't been restricted by number of items I might also have included Peter Cetera and Amy Grant, "The Next Time I Fall."

----
[1] This is the polite form of "fuck you and the horse you rode in on."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

Captain, you have nothing to apologize for. I think a good 80-90 of those songs are classics and either are or soon will be on my phone's playlist. You did great! This may be literally the best you've ever done at following directions and seeing a project through.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:Captain, you have nothing to apologize for.
But you do. It's "commander," not "captain," otherwise I might get in trouble for impersonating a superior officer. Now at my corporation I am a general. General Manager, that is.

Hey, Jonsey, he just gave me a field promotion, do you have anything to say?
I think a good 80-90 of those songs are classics and either are or soon will be on my phone's playlist. You did great! This may be literally the best you've ever done at following directions and seeing a project through.
That was the point, to let people know what I think is good music. (In my head It's doing a cut to the opening of Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music": "Do you like good music? Yeah, yeah!") And to offer links so they could hear them.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Completely Unbiased Obser

Post by Completely Unbiased Obser »

Let's see, this guy notices where he put duplicate records in, notices when the guy addresses him as Captain instead of Commander, and likes Barry Manilow.

All classic symptoms of Assburger's Syndrome straight out of the DSM V. Even the part about Barry Manilow. Any guy who would say Manilow is good listening is as nuts as Hinkley or Manson.

Oh no!

I just checked, and hearing voices is no longer part of the DSM. So anyone who says they hear God talking to them or that they can listen to Manilow aren't necessarily crazy.

This just proves the authors of the latest DSM are quacks.

Doesn't matter. I'm saying he has Assburgers. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Before people go running me off with pitchforks and torches:

1. That asshole wasn't me.

2. I just mentioned he had some unusual picks along with all of his great picks. No reason to blow it out of proportion.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Let's talk about who you really are. Sentimental Lady? Really? So you know. So that's why. I never would have connected it to you. Nothing about it said 'gangster' until this. It was a nice piece of work, Kingpin. You shouldn't have signed it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jonsey, for now let's ignore the escapee Cretinous Reprobate from Calttrops who wants to accuse me of having - and I keep wanting to laugh at this - 'Assburgers' (rather than saying Asperger's syndrome) because I like Barry Manilow.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Let's talk about who you really are. Sentimental Lady? Really? So you know. So that's why. I never would have connected it to you. Nothing about it said 'gangster' until this. It was a nice piece of work, Kingpin. You shouldn't have signed it.
Who the hell is Kingpin? Jonsey, this isn't Caltrops, the posting of song selections was made under my login and I assure you it did come from me.

I don't understand what is the significance of Sentimental Lady to make you think someone is hijacking my account, please explain it to me.

Anyone who does not think I posted all of the song choices is invited to call during daylight or evening hours my office number - which you can get off the home page of my corporate website at http://viridian-development.com or by doing a whois lookup on paul-robinson.us - and you'll get my name and phone number, that phone number being:

240-345-6675
- No Doubt, Don't Speak