Here are my 100 favorite songs

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

#81 I'm in Pieces - Hall & Oates

My favorite song off the first CD I ever bought, this is the sort of thing that doesn't work with anyone else singing it. I was given the sheet music to this when I was in high school and I almost learned how to play piano to play it. Almost, sorry Daryl.

This song does a thing I'll get into later about having two choruses. If I ever write another album for Beaver, I would like to experiment with a song that is nothing but choruses, but I'll expand that at another time.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Ice Cream Jonsey on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Game Critic

Post by Game Critic »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Ben said that text games ought not to have lyrics that are sung because it distracts from the game. I do agree with that, but I made an exception for Veela earlier.
I don't know, I think you should start taking Ben's advice more seriously. Ben publishes shit titles that barely even qualify as IF or a game, while you are merely a legendary IF author whose games frequently make the top lists on the IFDB, and who was interviewed in the same company as over 70 icons including Don Woods, Scott Adams, Marc Blank, and Andrew Plotkin in the most significant IF documentary of all time.

Ice Cream Jonsey

#80 Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears

I can't even hear the beginning to this song without thinking of Casey Kasem counting 'em down. I remember reading that Ray Parker Jr. thought that it was going to be difficult and awkward to get the word "Ghostbusters" in a pop song, but this might be the most awkward line to ever get to feel natural in an 80s song. They don't even cheapass out by rhyming "world" with "girl" as 10000000000000000 other songs do. (I think. Listening. Yes, I am correctly.)

There is a bit in (I think) Pirates of Silicon Valley where they do a montage of Steve Jobs traveling across the desert so he can taunt his daughter or something where they played this song. I thought that was a great bit in a rather mediocre movie.

[youtube][/youtube]

Ice Cream Jonsey

Game Critic wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Ben said that text games ought not to have lyrics that are sung because it distracts from the game. I do agree with that, but I made an exception for Veela earlier.
I don't know, I think you should start taking Ben's advice more seriously. Ben publishes shit titles that barely even qualify as IF or a game, while you are merely a legendary IF author whose games frequently make the top lists on the IFDB, and who was interviewed in the same company as over 70 icons including Don Woods, Scott Adams, Marc Blank, and Andrew Plotkin in the most significant IF documentary of all time.
Benjamin Parrish is without question, rival or discussion the single greatest, funniest and wittiest writer I have ever read in my entire life. I consider myself to be the luckiest man in the world to participate on the same planet circling the same star as he.

All of you are precious, irreplaceable, dear to me. I think and know that most of you don't quite understand that I mean it when I say that. Just, y'know, Ben moreso, friendo. ;)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Music Critic wrote:You went into 3 paragraphs justifying your Patty Smyth pick when there was no reason to do any of that. Anybody who does not like Patty Smyth is sick in the head, and I wouldn’t trust them, hell, I probably wouldn’t even stop my car if I saw them crossing the road in front of me.
I do like that our friend Billy would commit vehicular homicide if a pedestrian was crossing the intersection and had a shirt that read, "Goodbye to You" with the Ghostbusters symbol on it. It was as if TIME SLOWED DOWN, but yeah, not a jury that would convict him as long as he could check that bloodied, tire-and-front-grill-shredded shirt into evidence. The only other shirt I know about that has been involved in true crime is Zodiac Victim Paul Stine's shirt (which the Zodiac sent a chunk of to the police in a taunting letter) and that shirt was never admitted into evidence. Beware your odds, Billy!

A thing or two on nature.

Post by A thing or two on nature. »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Benjamin Parrish is without question, rival or discussion the single greatest, funniest and wittiest writer I have ever read in my entire life. I consider myself to be the luckiest man in the world to participate on the same planet circling the same star as he.

All of you are precious, irreplaceable, dear to me. I think and know that most of you don't quite understand that I mean it when I say that. Just, y'know, Ben moreso, friendo. ;)
This all makes sense now. The list of mostly terrible songs, saying nice things about Ben, this is clearly a "call for help". We're all here for you Robb, whatever you need just let us know.

Ice Cream Jonsey

A thing or two on nature. wrote:This all makes sense now. The list of mostly terrible songs, saying nice things about Ben, this is clearly a "call for help". We're all here for you Robb, whatever you need just let us know.
I appreciate the concern and I must admit you're on to something.

The next time you have a drink, please, raise your glass to me. All I ask is that you drink this.

Music Critic

Post by Music Critic »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I do like that our friend Billy would commit vehicular homicide if a pedestrian was crossing the intersection and had a shirt that read, "Goodbye to You" with the Ghostbusters symbol on it.
My only hope is that they're not wearing the shirt ironically when I punch the gas.

All my friends are fish

Post by All my friends are fish »

I always liked this song.

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:#84 Africa - Toto

I don't think I like another song that sounds anything like this at all. I had never seen the video until a few months ago. Surprisingly not too embarrassing for an 80s video, which was an awkward time for music videos.

I read an article once about how Toto weren't even sure if they were going to put this song on the album they were making. We all got lucky there! Unlike song #100, watching this video does not feed a people.
These are some interesting picks! And while this video is not terrible, it is definitely a time capsule -- a reminder of the types of people no longer allowed on television. Nobody with glasses, hair, or wristbands like that is on prime time these days.

I often think about making claims that nobody can dispute, like claiming to be someone in a movie who wore a mask the entire time or something. I think I will begin telling people I was the guy who spun the globe in that video.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:#83 Let Me Go - 3 Doors Down

I believe this band has a fairly terrible reputation. Gerrit made fun of them at the end of his Adult Films and You video short. (That is no longer on Youtube. I should have saved all of Gerrit's work because the jerks who had them on their channel couldn't simply leave shit alone and leave them up.)

Melissa and I were at a pizza parlor a few weeks ago and all they played, for the 30 minutes we were in there, was 3 Doors Down music. Can you imagine such a place! The pie was good too! We are going to New Orleans again shortly. I seem to recall they are from Louisiana. I would like to see them live, but I will have to trick my fiancee to do so. Wish me luck, denizens.
I know I've heard of 3 Doors Down but I can't think of any of their songs without looking them up, which I was going to do before I got sidetracked with coming up with names for that restaurant. 3 Slices Down? 3 Beers Down?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:#80 Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears

I can't even hear the beginning to this song without thinking of Casey Kasem counting 'em down. I remember reading that Ray Parker Jr. thought that it was going to be difficult and awkward to get the word "Ghostbusters" in a pop song, but this might be the most awkward line to ever get to feel natural in an 80s song. They don't even cheapass out by rhyming "world" with "girl" as 10000000000000000 other songs do. (I think. Listening. Yes, I am correctly.)

There is a bit in (I think) Pirates of Silicon Valley where they do a montage of Steve Jobs traveling across the desert so he can taunt his daughter or something where they played this song. I thought that was a great bit in a rather mediocre movie.
Tears for Fears always seemed a little "deeper" than a lot of the other bands on the radio during the mid-80s. When I heard "Shout" I remember thinking that it was kind of powerful (well, the first 1,000 times I heard it).

There aren't a lot of songs I can think of that I strongly associate with films, but this song will always be tied to the end of Real Genius for me. Popcorn for everybody!

[youtube][/youtube]

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:#84 Africa - Toto

I don't think I like another song that sounds anything like this at all. I had never seen the video until a few months ago. Surprisingly not too embarrassing for an 80s video, which was an awkward time for music videos.

I read an article once about how Toto weren't even sure if they were going to put this song on the album they were making. We all got lucky there! Unlike song #100, watching this video does not feed a people.
These are some interesting picks! And while this video is not terrible, it is definitely a time capsule -- a reminder of the types of people no longer allowed on television. Nobody with glasses, hair, or wristbands like that is on prime time these days.
#84 is the first one that would also make my top 100, which I am compiling right now in my head, but once I get past about ten songs, when I come up with one, I immediately forget the one ten songs ago, so my top 100 only ever has about ten songs in it.

So instead of bothering with that, I will just make a list of Robb's songs that would also be in my top 100, and then that will be my top 100, even if it contains only three songs, which is about what I'm guessing is going to happen.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

A thing or two on nature.

Post by A thing or two on nature. »

Game Critic wrote:Ben publishes shit titles that barely even qualify as IF or a game...
Just for the record, I am taking this comment back. There is good natured trolling, and there is taking things too far, and this took things too far.

Ice Cream Jonsey

A thing or two on nature. wrote:
Game Critic wrote:Ben publishes shit titles that barely even qualify as IF or a game...
Just for the record, I am taking this comment back. There is good natured trolling, and there is taking things too far, and this took things too far.
We're all friends here.

I think there are three songs on my list that I am reasonably confident that Ben likes, but that's because he told us about Africa and asked about MC Frontalot, whom we all enjoy on the BBS. If there's four I'll be surprised, but this is a way for us to all get to know each other better!

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote:#84 is the first one that would also make my top 100, which I am compiling right now in my head, but once I get past about ten songs, when I come up with one, I immediately forget the one ten songs ago, so my top 100 only ever has about ten songs in it.

So instead of bothering with that, I will just make a list of Robb's songs that would also be in my top 100, and then that will be my top 100, even if it contains only three songs, which is about what I'm guessing is going to happen.
I decided to work on my list as well. It will have no songs any of you like. I decided to start by getting a list of songs on my phone. You would think that that would be simple, but without using iTunes, I had to transfer all of my songs (35 gigs) back over to my computer and get a list that way. This will be a lot of effort, but in the end when two people read it and agree that everything I like sucks, it will all be worth it.

Music Critic

Post by Music Critic »

I guess I will make my own list as well. Can this forum support 100 youtube videos in one post?

Music Critic

Post by Music Critic »

Music Critic wrote:I guess I will make my own list as well. Can this forum support 100 youtube videos in one post?
Nevermind, I am just going to wing it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Flack wrote:
pinback wrote:#84 is the first one that would also make my top 100, which I am compiling right now in my head, but once I get past about ten songs, when I come up with one, I immediately forget the one ten songs ago, so my top 100 only ever has about ten songs in it.

I decided to work on my list as well. It will have no songs any of you like. I decided to start by getting a list of songs on my phone. You would think that that would be simple, but without using iTunes, I had to transfer all of my songs (35 gigs) back over to my computer and get a list that way. This will be a lot of effort, but in the end when two people read it and agree that everything I like sucks, it will all be worth it.
This is going to be harder than I thought. After sorting my list alphabetically by artist and playing around with it, I hit 100 songs somewhere around Danzig.

Ice Cream Jonsey

My girlfriend gives me a hard time about carrying a pill case around all the time. We went out for dinner one night and I had it out and she said, "Can I hold onto that for tonight, please?" Being an agreeable sort, I said yes.

I handed it to her.

She had it for literally less than a minute before she attempted to move it from one spot on the table to another and it opened and all the ibuprofen, vitamins, nootropics and mints fell out over the restaurant floor.

It is very difficult for people to "be" me for even a short amount of time, as you are now seeing with your list.

I wish you much fortune getting it together. The one thing to remember is to NEVER make a playlist of your top 100 songs. You'll then get sick of them and be an empty shell. Keep 'em separated!