Here are my 100 favorite songs

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Here are my 100 favorite songs

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

#20 I Can Barely Breathe - Manchester Orchestra

Great song, great video, great close up look at a soul in torment. My brother got on Pinback's Discord to tell everyone that they were from some place other than where they actually were from. (They were / are from Atlanta). When we saw these guys at one of those shows they do out here where like 30 bands play in a weekend, they did this song. My wife tried to tell me a funny story during the end of this song, which pretty much sums up exactly what the narrator of the song is talking about, in a fit of irony.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

#19 Take Cover - Acceptance

The first song on my favorite album and probably my favorite Side 1 Track 1, this is another close up look at a soul in torment.

Ice Cream Jonsey

#18 Fire Inside ft. Greta Svabo Beck by Gemini (Mr FijiWiji Remix)

If we're calling this a dubstep song, of which it has influences, than this is my favorite dubstep song. It occurs to me that I haven't tried to find anything else done by Gemini, Greta Svano or Mr FijiWiji. The people responsible for this have probably never all been in the same room in their life, much less country. This is my favorite song to play at about 4:45PM when I've done about as much computer programming as I can realistically think is good for work, after having made two dozen decisions that I think helped everyone individually and the company as a whole. I turn my chair around, put my feet up on the window sill, close my eyes and listen to this.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 pm Only if you also post the kind of music you like as well, yes.
Instead of my top 100, I'll just post my top 1:

Ice Cream Jonsey

#17 Art of Heartbreak - Hall and Oates

There are two versions I'll put up of this song. The first is the studio track above. It's great, it's made by a couple guys who have been making records for a long time. They are in their prime. It's got a great groove, it's a song only Hall and Oates can do and for the longest time I thought it was their best track.

That video is from a guy who has been making music for a long, long, looooooong time. In fact, Daryl plainly says, "the record was too fast" before they start playing. Whereas the version they released to the world in 1982 is from a guy who really wants you to understand that he is practicing the art of heartbreak, the version from a few years ago is a universal truth from a man that doesn't give a damn.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Also, lookit RealNC rocking the melodic death metal! I would never have guessed. There's about 1,000 threads on the subject from day's ago in The King's Quarters if you ever get bored.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:44 pm Also, lookit RealNC rocking the melodic death metal!
That's not melodic death metal. That's just death metal from the band that co-invented the Death Metal genre.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I detect melodies! You can't say there is no melody! It reminded me of Children of Bodom, who I like a great deal.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

May sound weird, but melodic death metal is closer to pop and rock melodies, while the original death metal is influenced more by classical music.

I'm talking about the notes here, obviously. Not the sound. Death metal has nothing to do with classical music in that regard.

If you can stand listening through the whole thing (I understand why some people can't), it kind of becomes obvious.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Did you hear about the guy who wanted to be buried in an aluminum oil drum so he could have death metal for eternity?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

#16 - Waiting - Mae

Mae is an American rock band that formed in Norfolk, Virginia in 2001. The band's name is an acronym for "Multi-sensory Aesthetic Experience", based on a course taken by drummer Jacob Marshall while a student at Old Dominion University.

At one point all their equipment got stolen, so I did my best to buy their stuff. I expect the same out of Mae when my house is one day broken into!

This is off the album Singularity. Because Acceptance screwed up the order of songs in Phantoms, I would declare that the first 4 songs from Singularity are the best "first four songs" of any pop punk album. I expect all of you to hate it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

#15 Delusional - Saves the Day

This is a fan-made video, please don't hate Saves the Day if any of you clicks on that link, which I am assured you shall not.

This one seems like it would be a lot of fun to play, and I am greatly pleased that the drummer of Saves the Day pretty much makes this song one that enters a fan of the genre's top 20 list. This is a song meant for drumming on a desk or keyboard, where I suspect the great majority of pop punk is listened to. Anyway, for them and for the genre it rocks. I expect you all to hate it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

#14 Drive - The Cars

Pinback had a discussion a long time ago about videos where the creator of the video did not understand the song. I don't think that this is the case here - this is not really about driving your would-be significant other places. This is not a song that was made irrelvant by Uber. Especially with Uber. With Ben Orr driving Ric Ocasek's wife Paulina Porizkova home in the video above and not Uber, there's at least a chance she won't be sexually assaulted.

Best song Ben Orr ever did? Let's say yes. Best song The Cars ever did? I hope you agree.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Do you have the full list available, and are just rolling it out as you find the time to write the entries, or are you still deciding/choosing/ordering?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I made the full list whenever I started this stupid project that I despise with every fiber and cell of my being.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, we appreciate it. It's a great list! Meaning that it is very entertaining and educational to read, not that it is not full of absolutely god-awful, unlistenable garbage.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thanks. I feel the same way about a lot of the bands you listen to. I actually feel it more because I haven't spent the last twenty years wishing to my core that I was dead inside. I've always been under the believe that it takes real talent to create a melody and that's where interesting music comes from. When that's mixed with electric guitars, well, that's gonna be a song I'll give a chance. A lot of stuff that you guys posted in your threads amazes me. How do they know when they're doing something intentional versus mashing the strings as obnoxiously as possible? Like, conceptually, I can understand how a pop punk band might turn a potential musician down at an audition. I don't understand how that could have ever happened with Meshuggah. It was just the first five guys that happened to be near each other.

Ice Cream Jonsey

#13 Little Red Corvette - Prince

Finally, now that Prince is dead, the links to his videos work. There is a fun bit to the video for this song that is more interesting than I can be about Little Red Corvette involving the making of the video:

From here: https://uproxx.com/music/prince-little- ... tte-video/
Oh, yes, the video we actually see, which is Prince performing what appears to be a concert (in reality, he’s not in front of an audience), highlighted by a dance across the stage that culminates with Prince doing the splits. (Prince neglected to tell anyone he was going to do the splits.) When Greenberg and Broday arrived, Prince already knew what he wanted. But this was Prince’s first time working with film (his prior videos were shot on videotape) and, while he may have known what he wanted, he didn’t yet know exactly what he was doing. And he didn’t always share with Greenberg what his plan was.

Greenberg says, “He wouldn’t always tell me what it was he was doing. When he does that little dance across the stage, he does the splits. And this is only because he didn’t know; he didn’t know how to work with a director or DP, this was all new to him. This is before Purple Rain and this is his first experience with film. So, he didn’t tell me what he was going to do. He said, ‘Just follow me.’ So I follow him and he does the splits and he drops below my camera. You can’t just drop! It doesn’t work that way. So I explained to him how we needed to do that. We did it two more times and that take is actually the third take of that sequence.”

Ice Cream Jonsey

#12 It's Late - Queen

Go see Bohemian Rhapsody! Unless it got terrible reviews in Rotten Tomatoes. Let's go take a look.

95% of audiences liked it, but it's got a tomato and 60% next to it on their site. I have no idea what that means. You throw a tomato in cartoons when you hate something, so that's bad? Christ, what an assfuck of a website that shithole is.

Anyway, this is the greatest Queen song of all time in all their foppish, preening hard rock best. Every member of the band gets a chance to shine at some point in the song, why they never play it on the radio I have no idea, except for that it is six and a half minutes long.

Ice Cream Jonsey

#11 Walk on Water or Drown - Mayday Parade

There is something I can't quite put my finger on for this song - I have no idea how they would have written this or come up with it. It has all manner of separation, it's almost as if they wrote the drum part first and put the rest of the music around it, only there is no way that happened. I would characterize the usual vocals of a Mayday Parade song as "doing their best," it is not exaggeration to say that this is the best vocal performance by any of them in this band by a wide, wide margin (and anyone who actually clicked on the link hates it anyway).

It's really a song about desperation. Everyone in the band sold out for it. I love it.