Surfin USA

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Re: Surfin USA

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:27 pm What's better, water slides or roller coasters, and why?

Show your work.
We had this debate with Mays lol

For me personally, it would be waterslides but on the grand scale for everyone I'm gonna have to go rollercoasters. Rollercoasters are just larger, more expensive, and a hell of a lot harder to design than nearly any waterslide.

Me personally I just have a strong feeling towards water. Watching it sparkle, the coolness of it compared to summer heat around you, and just listening to the rushing sound of it at the bottom or top of a slide. I can get vertigo/dizzy off many rollercoasters but I never get that sensation on a slide. So, I can basically do a huge slide as many times as my legs allow me whereas I'm only gonna stand in line for a coaster MAYBE twice in one day. Also if I was rich and could build either in my backyard you know I'd build a waterslide lol Sit in the top and drink a couple beers, slide down to pee somewhere, walk back up and do it again hahaha

tldr;

For me: Waterslides
For the world: Rollercoasters
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ah cool. I've never heard this Rush song before but I like it!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

I thought of it when you talked about having a strong feeling toward/connection with water. I think the above song is the only song ever written about that very topic.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:27 pm What's better, water slides or roller coasters, and why?

Show your work.
Roller Coaster. You can ride either in street clothes or a bathing suit, but using a water slide mandates you remember to bring along, and before riding, change into swimming trunks, a swimsuit, or bikini, depending on your preferences and local laws. And unless they have rental lockers, you'd need to have a friend watch your clothes. Of course, if you know the people running the ride, and it's after the park is closed, you could ride either attraction while nude. Probably won't see videos of that on YouTube.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:38 am

Show your work.
And unless they have rental lockers, you'd need to have a friend watch your clothes.
I stopped renting lockers many years ago. I walk in wearing trunks, t-shirt, and flip flops. Nothing in my pocket but keys and waterpark pass card. I get into the park, find a chair or curb near the "Pirate Cove" area of the waterpark, and throw my old white t-shirt complete with armpit stains with the contents of my pockets wadded up inside onto the chair or curb. Never had anything stolen!

- old surf shop t-shirt: No one wants it.
- season pass: If someone stole it, I just present my ID and get a new one for free.. rendering the stolen one useless.
- keys: Would suck if someone stole them.. but they aren't electronic so I doubt someone would steal them and try them on every older model Toyota in the huge parking lot.

HOWEVER.. if you bring a female all this shit goes out the door. They are going to bring SOMETHING(s) they insist on putting in a damn 5-10$ a day locker. My girlfriend stays at home when I go :)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

The awesome surf forecast was a flop. Nothing out there to catch even for the most creative surfer.

Likewise, fishing/shrimping wasn't great either due to a couple of factors. There were clams out there though. Cooking clam chowder tomorrow.. after another few hours in the waterpark lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Another 4 hours at the waterpark. Friction burns all over the top and sides of my feet that are gonna re-scab tomorrow.

While there were many memorable moments, ones of my favorites of the day was standing in line for Bombs Away. Some girl gets up to when it’s time to get into the coffin shaped structure to drop.. she gets in, then starts panicking to be let out.

In my best pirate voice I yell “Drop herrrr!!” twice. On the 2nd yell the Post Malone without tattoos looking lifeguard dude grinned at me while looking away from her.. and pulled the trigger lol.

2-3 people then got out of the blue slide line while stating “I don’t trust this guy” hahaha

Edit: and while I sure as shit didn’t feel like cooking for 2 hours afterwards, the clam chowder with fresh clams turned out outstanding. I will post my recipe if anyone cares.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Went back the Thursday after 4th of July. That got rained out but whatever. Snuck in another trip and now going back tomorrow for the um.. the 6th or 7th time this season? I'm starting to lose count as I didn't mention them all here.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Finally bought a kayak!

Wayyy to windy to get out there now but gonna take it out as soon as I can.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

I've been eyeing something similar at walmart all summer but i'm going to hold out for a sea kayak.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What's the difference? (no Google)

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:51 pm What's the difference? (no Google)
You sit more in them than on them, Jiz bought a sit on top Kayak which looks awesome. I shouldn't have differentiated as his vs a sea kayak as you can get both kinds of sea kayak. We like to be down in the kayak with the option of a rubber "gasket" to keep out more water. Problem is we love kayaking between the islands in puget sound and it can get kinda windy (cold) and choppy so we usually rent a double sea kayak. Also looking for one with pedals to turn a rudder b/c the wife likes it when I steer. I don't have the extra $2500 yet especially since we're having our wettest year I can remember, it rained almost every day up to July.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah the "sit on top" style is the only kind I tried before in a river, so I figured I'd get this. 295$ at Walmart. Came with a paddle but it don't look too sturdy so I'm gonna buy another. I'll mainly be using this in the sound (the body of water between the mainland and the island that separates it from the ocean) to paddle out to little islands and stuff.

No way I could have went out or surfed today (Even windier today). But I did get a swim in. Look at this sloshy mess!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Wind was right about 12 mph hour early in the day, so I set out for the first time on it. VERY stable. Moreso that my buddy's he let me try out on the river camping trip last year. The way the wind and current were running, I basically had to paddle against it the whole way out to that island in the distance. Nothing too bad but I can tell my neck and shoulders are gonna be sore tomorrow.

After landing on the island a big white dog barked at me then came running up. Old dog. Saw her owners in the distance so I just walked with the dog back to them while I looked for clams. Clammed around some more but couldn't find any larger than about a quarter (illegal to keep). Enjoyed the view a bit then headed back. The ride back was super easy. Just floated with the current til I had to steer into the boat dock. Looking forward to doing it again, especially when the fishing is better.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

So, today I go back to the waterpark for like the 12th time this year and just like last week.. the Daredevil Drop and Twin Twisters are not running. However, this time there isn't even water running down the slide so I don't think it was a staffing issue like last week. Then I venture over to the Lazy River near it and the water level is down by like 2-3 feet. It's also closed. What the hell man.

After riding the Raging Rapids I noticed this Italian lifeguard/supervisor chick I've talked to quite a few times there walking by me. I say "Hey.. are you short-staffed today?" She slowly turns around and says "Oh! Um.. no." Then in this sort of whiny, over-acting voice I ask "Then whyyyyy the hell isn't the Daredevil Drop open then?" She gives me a rather displeased look and says "Ugh, you want to know the truth?" (Well yeah, of course) "An employee left the drain gate open yesterday afternoon after hours and it drained most of the lazy river.. which pumps water over to Daredevil Drop. I'm bummed too. That's my favorite slide."

Oooh you know that waterpark employee got in trouble!!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Went out on the kayak for 3 hours or so today. Sunburned my legs well in the process.. rare I'm sitting in blazing sun. Usually walking, standing, swimming, etc. Paddled against the 6-9 mph wind to reach the far end of the island near me as the speed boats zoomed by, creating 1-2 foot wakes. Kayak was totally stable while getting sloshed around in that.

There are a lot of memes going around these days about "Deep", the character from "The Boys" show on Netflix. No meme: I communicated with dolphins today! (sort of). So I'm out paddling around the far end of the island when I notice a couple of fish jump around me. Then, I see at what looks like at first glance a shark fin about 40 feet from me so I start to paddle away.. though as I look over my shoulder I realize it's not one but 2 dolphins! They start to go back downstream but then go back up and frenzy around a bit before submerging and disappearing again. "They just showed me where the fish are!" I thought. Sure enough, I paddle over to that area, throw in my line and instantly get a strong hit. Croaker fish!

Didn't have the gear with me for catching multiple fish.. I was mainly out there to explore and enjoy. Hell, I probably spent 10 minutes just marveling at the clouds in the mostly clear sky over the water. Man, I'm glad I got this thing after selling the motor boat I inherited. It's a fuck ton more work but it gets the job done. Speaking of which, I think I will have to break down and buy a "kayak trolley" because picking up a 55 pound injection-molded plastic kayak on the 50 yard walk to launch it is one thing.. but lifting and walking it back is another after all that damn paddling.

However, I am passing out now and going right back out there in the morning :)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I'm currently working on a playlist of all the things I recall hearing at my local waterpark in 1980s for a special event of sorts coming up.

I would like input from anyone on what other songs to include and why you think any song may not belong.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Also, glad the weather has eliminated the chance for yet another trip to the waterpark tomorrow. I'm wore the hell out and managed to sunburn the hell out of my legs from kayaking for 2 days straight with no trolly to move the damn thing lol

But maan oh maan the sights and feelings in the sea and from "the island" that lies almost a football field from my front yard there at the trailer park,

Because yesterday was my birthday (43) I did a bit of reflecting and this has clearly been the best summer in my life so far. Every week I've been at the waterpark, the coast, or both.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Now that's a good birthday reflection!