Maverick

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Maverick

Post by Casual Observer »

Go see it in the theater before it's gone. It's fun, great flying scenes and not too much sappyness. More after some of you laggards have seen the thing, it hits streaming/torrenting soon but I sprung for the IMAX not really an IMAX at the local AMC (the one true IMAX is at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle but they missed opening in time for Maverick so are showing fucking Lightyear.

Tdarcos

Re: Maverick

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:02 am I sprung for the IMAX not really an IMAX at the local AMC (the one true IMAX is at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle
If IMAX is a set of standards for video display, amd the theater you are at comports with those standards, I would think it qualifies. This sounds an awful lot like the no true Scotsman fallacy. Otherwise, please be so kind as to explain in what way they are deficient. This kind of sounds like saying the only true McDonalds is the one run by the McDonald brothers in San Bernadino.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:26 am
Casual Observer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:02 am I sprung for the IMAX not really an IMAX at the local AMC (the one true IMAX is at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle
If IMAX is a set of standards for video display, amd the theater you are at comports with those standards, I would think it qualifies. This sounds an awful lot like the no true Scotsman fallacy. Otherwise, please be so kind as to explain in what way they are deficient. This kind of sounds like saying the only true McDonalds is the one run by the McDonald brothers in San Bernadino.
It's like comparing your size to my size now.

The one at the Pacific Science Center, and SF's Metreon, and I think even Rochester's Tinseltown is the one on the right. Most "IMAX" screens in the country including AMC Alderwood 16's is the other one.
Last edited by Casual Observer on Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

What if you thought Top Gun was stupid?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Then don't buy an IMax ticket.

I never thought the first one was all that great, but I'm not a movie guy. Don't think there will ever be another movie I'll go to the theater to see.

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:12 pm What if you thought Top Gun was stupid?
Excellent Question.

This one isn't as stupid in that it actually has a plot, character arcs, and some closure for Goose's son, in addition to 90% being just awesome flying. We get dogfights between Fa-18 jets themselves, FA-18's vs Korean (chinese) 5th Gen fighters, and Tom even gets a chance to fire up an old F-14 Tomcat and dogfight with 5th Gen fighters after starting the movie by disintegrating a plane at Mach 10.3.

Did you ever see the opening scene of Airwolf's pilot episode where Moffett entered a canyon below radar, had to evade SAM missiles then climb straight up out of the canyon just to have to evade said SAM missiles? Well, they combined that with a bit of the xwings in the Death Star trench scene of A New Hope where they had to hit a tiny little spot including the having to go manual for the shot at the end. That's the mission they spend 70% of the movie training for and it's fucking awesome. I didn't give away any plot points because there are mission details and stuff.

I never saw the original one in the theater, my first experience was on a 27" Sony Trinitron. I was going to wait to see this because I'm confident it'll look great on my 65" curved (so I'm still going to pirate it, sorry pinback) but I really do recommend the theater experience for this one.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I should retract my statement a bit, Top Gun was no more or less stupid than other 80s movies along the same lines that I like, like Predator or Blue Thunder. I appreciate the sincere replies and will look at the franchise with new eyes.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer

Ran across this on YouTube, ended up watching all of them. So interesting watching a couple of fighter pilots destroy the details while still loving the movie. It had me looking up pilot jargon and learning a lot.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Every time I see this thread title I think about how stupid Sarah Palin is. She’s the REAL maverick after all (lol)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻