Which iteration of Star Trek was your favorite?

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Original cast - TV
55%
Original cast - Movies
9%
Next Generation - TV
9%
Next Generation - Movies
No votes
Deep Space Nine
18%
Voyager
9%
Enterprise
No votes
Discovery
No votes
JJ Abrams/Reboot movies
No votes
I don't like Star Trek.
No votes

Total votes: 11

pinback

Post by pinback »

Surely some of you enjoy some TREK!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Which iteration of Star Trek was your favorite?

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

If I had to come up with a list of my favorite episodes, it would probably span all the shows. But man, I can put almost any episode of the original series on and let it do its thing and it is calming, interesting and fun. It LOOKS great, too, the primary colors of the crew is something they have tried so hard to get around and who knows why.

I like Chris Pine but William Shatner played Kirk with an aloofness in management that -- well, I have no idea if it was intentional. Pine is the coolest guy at the party/college/workplace who is everyone's friend. Shatner's Kirk can come down on somebody and then share a joke with a crew member down the hall. I have a lot more respect and understanding for Shatner's Kirk the older I get.

And of course Spock is the best character they've ever had.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

DS 9. Best characters, best story, best setting.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

PS: I watched them all except Discovery.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

I feel like TNG came the closest to Gene Roddenberry's near utopian vision, but I have to agree with Robb and most of the poll voters so far in picking the original series as my favorite. I felt it had an edge to it that TNG often lacked. It made sense to me given that the series is about a crew traveling together through space for long periods of time and experiencing innumerable high stress situations that tensions and resentments would bubble up often. A starship is potentially the worst work environment imaginable. If there's someone you can't stand to work with, you can't just quit and never see them again. The same people are always going to be giving you orders. You can't ever defuse the tension by walking out the door and getting some fresh air. I don't believe TOS even had a holodeck so you couldn't even do a good job of pretending to get some fresh air. It would be like life on a submarine if submarines were constantly being attacked by aliens and if every part was built by the same guys who did the Kursk.

Is Spock fully prepared to take over for Kirk at a moment's notice if the captain starts messing up? Of course he is. He's had that plan prepared since day 3, and you know he must get tempted to use the Vulcan nerve pinch on Kirk dozens of times a day. And those guys probably get along better than almost everyone else on the Enterprise. If you take Sulu's inhibitions down a notch, does he want to cut up half the crew? Of course he wants to cut up half the crew. Uhura thinks he's a creep and who knows what kinds of racist bullshit he has to deal with on a daily basis. No wonder his mom told him to never sign up to be the only Asian man aboard a starship.

I also felt like TOS gave the writers a ton of creative freedom and was less concerned with faithful world building and devotion to lore than later Star Trek series did. That gave you a real sense of not knowing what to expect or where the show might go. It could get crazy or silly, for sure, but that was part of the fun. And I say that as someone who generally appreciates world building and lore. In TOS, the looseness and creative freedom just happened to work out for the best.

One thing TNG was definitely superior at was character development. Granted, they did have a lot more episodes to do it. Still, Uhura and Chekov were in lots of TOS episodes. More could have been done with those characters. While Sulu and Scotty were given more distinct personalities, their inner lives are explored a lot less than characters like Geordi and Troi in TNG. On the other hand, Kirk and Spock are more interesting than anyone on TNG in my opinion. Also, if Wil Wheaton had been alive and old enough to be cast on the original series, I'm pretty sure he would have been a red shirt and been killed in his first episode.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I am an original Star Trek guy, but I liked TNG as well after things got rolling. First season of TNG was pretty stupid when it first came out, but things got better and to this day I like the general feel and anesthetics of this series. Bryan is right about the characters. Hated Beta at first then found him cool. Always liked Warf though. I'll spare you going into every character.

Voyager.. as soon as Jane Way appeared and started talking, my mom and I groaned. Awful. Just awful. We agreed it wasn't the concept of a female captain we had a problem with.. the problem was her.

Deep Space Nine I recall liking for the newer effects and settings, but I like Babylon 5 (Not Star Trek but pretty damn close) a little better in some regards.

Tried to watch a little of Discovery but it is lame compared to the older stuff.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

Jizaboz wrote:Beta
Jizaboz wrote:Warf

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:18 am
Jizaboz wrote:Beta
Jizaboz wrote:Warf
Data. Worf. Fucking auto correct.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Also Seth Myers or whatever his fucking name is sucks.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Mike Myers?

Seth from Arkadia Retrocade?

WHO?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:12 pm Mike Myers?

Seth from Arkadia Retrocade?

WHO?
Pretty sure Mike Myers killed a lot of people in Haddenfield Illinois and stood by while George W Bush didn’t care about black people.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

uruzrune

Post by uruzrune »

RealNC wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:41 am DS 9. Best characters, best story, best setting.
👆

Ice Cream Jonsey

Wait, did we actually turn this into an anti-Seth Myers thread? Seth Myers is great. Maybe this should be a different thread.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Did Seth Meyers wear a red shirt?

THE
ONE CAN HOPE
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Okay, who picked Voyager? If this poll had a "joke vote", that was it.

uruzrune

Post by uruzrune »

Voyager was still better than Enterprise.

I said it, fight me.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

uruzrune wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:22 pm Voyager was still better than Enterprise.

I said it, fight me.
Uruzrune, "the first rule of Fight Club is that you don't talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight club is that you do not talk about fight Club!"

Jonsey, I voed for Voyager.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Uruzrune, "the first rule of Fight Club is that you don't talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight club is that you do not talk about fight Club!"
Oh god he's going to put this in every single post now isn't he.
Jonsey, I voed for Voyager.
Paul, I was the one who asked who "voed" for it.

So far you've ruined every thread in this base and are repeating yourself and getting everything wrong on top of it.

Get your shit together, please.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Come on Tdarcos, clean it up over here.

uruzrune

Post by uruzrune »

The fuck does Fight Club have to do with anything?