Jorge Rodriguez tributes.

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

Jorge Rodriguez tributes.

Post by pinback »

The Neil Rogers Show was without a doubt the creation and art of one man, Neil Rogers, the greatest talk host in history. Other folks were there to help bring it to life, though, and none were as important as Jorge Rodriguez, his longtime producer on WIOD and WQAM in South Florida during the '90s and '00s.

Jorge Rodriguez, 55, died of a sudden heart attack a week and a half ago.

If there was anyone in the third spot of key players on the show, it was Boca Brian. Boca Brian worked with the show and provided virtually all of its greatest, most well-known comedy bits that Neil would play coming out of breaks and sprinkled throughout the show as needed. Turns out, Boca Brian was actually "Boca Britney" a transgendered dude who they never revealed as such, which is odd because Neil famously came out as gay on the air during the Anita Bryant era. I guess they didn't want to push it. Anyway, now he's Brit Somers now, and here is his first Jorge tribute show:

Nobody cares about any of this, but his introduction gives a good idea of how special local South Florida radio was "back in the day", and how it could never be reproduced, and how the radio family that came out of it will never be matched. And it's quite touching, even if you don't know the people involved.

Tribute #2 is coming up, and will feature visits from notables from that era, including Phil Hendrie. I just happened to be wearing a Phil Hendrie-related shirt today before even finding out this was gonna happen, that's how important these people have been to my life.

I'll link that after it happens in July 18.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.