Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now"

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now"

Post by pinback »

I re-read Power of Now recently, as I do every few years, and every single time I have the same reaction:

The first few chapters are the greatest words ever written, or ever possible to write, on the subject of the book. The last chapter is also a phenomenal punctuation mark on the end. Most of the last half of the book, though, I believe he would have either modified or cut out entirely if he could, after he realized it was a major hit.

The book starts with the most profound, brightly shimmering expressions of ultimate truth that it is possible to express in words, expressions which have the power to profoundly and instantly transform not only people's lives, but the entire world, and then by the last half he's devoting major sections to menstruation.

What the fuck are you doing, Eck? You're the best, but don't do that again.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now"

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Wait, literally? He's seriously talking about menstruation by the end of it? I know it frustrates a lot of gamer chicks that the word to describe this lovely/horrible/beautiful/terrible thing begins with the word "men" -- was that Eck's angle?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

He went heavy flow.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Hey Paul, you ever read any Eckhart Tolle?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:23 am Hey Paul, you ever read any Eckhart Tolle?
Until you mentioned him in your posting I had no idea who he is. He's important enough to have a page on Wikipedia, so that's something. He's considered an authority on spiritual issues, and has been lauded by the New York Times. Other than that, I don't know if the guy is a crackpot or a visionary. Not trying to denigrate the guy, these days you can be either and still sell a lot of books.

Looking at Amazon, I see another mistake. His book, The Power of Now is priced at $12.89 hardcover, $10.02 Paperback, and $9.48 on Kindle. But his book, A New Earth sells in Paperback for $11.99, and in Kindle for $13.99. Huh? Electronic publishing is loads cheaper than print, and ther price should reflect this. But there's another reason this price is too high.

As I mentioned in a message a few months ago, this is leaving money on the table, or rather. money in Amazon's pocket. if it was priced at $9.99, they get 70% of that minus 15c, or $6.88. At $13.99, they get 30% of that minus 15c, or $4.15, meaning they give Amazon an extra $2.75 in royalties they could be keeping.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

If I bought you Power of Now, would you read it? I would like to discuss it with you.

(I'd like to discuss it with anyone, but the rest of you will have to get your own copies, or I will trade you for a Jolt Country T-shirt.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:38 pm
pinback wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:23 am Hey Paul, you ever read any Eckhart Tolle?
Until you mentioned him in your posting I had no idea who he is. He's important enough to have a page on Wikipedia, so that's something. He's considered an authority on spiritual issues, and has been lauded by the New York Times. Other than that, I don't know if the guy is a crackpot or a visionary. Not trying to denigrate the guy, these days you can be either and still sell a lot of books.

Looking at Amazon, I see another mistake. His book, The Power of Now is priced at $12.89 hardcover, $10.02 Paperback, and $9.48 on Kindle. But his book, A New Earth sells in Paperback for $11.99, and in Kindle for $13.99. Huh? Electronic publishing is loads cheaper than print, and ther price should reflect this. But there's another reason this price is too high.

As I mentioned in a message a few months ago, this is leaving money on the table, or rather. money in Amazon's pocket. if it was priced at $9.99, they get 70% of that minus 15c, or $6.88. At $13.99, they get 30% of that minus 15c, or $4.15, meaning they give Amazon an extra $2.75 in royalties they could be keeping.
You found huge mistakes that Mr. Tolle should be aware of and you haven't even read his book yet!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well..there's a character in William Gibson's 'All Tomorrows Parties' that stays in the moment.
I read the same Wikipedia article and that's exactly who it reminded me of.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Paul, will you please answer my question? I feel it is difficult to get you to answer questions.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

He will send you the book for free!

Is it a paperback or hard cover?

THE
PRICE POINT
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

So, Paul, no chance in gettin' that answer, huh? Can I interest you instead in a t-shirt?

Ice Cream Jonsey

ANSWER THE QUESTION PAUL

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:47 pm If I bought you Power of Now, would you read it? I would like to discuss it with you.
Yes
AArdvark wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:03 pm He will send you the book for free!
Is it a paperback or hard cover?
Presumably he would ask me.
You didn't ask about Kindle. And that's my preferred format. I still have the unlaw firm of Floaters & Blur, PLC* battling my eye. The Arlington Public Library sent me some books (the Postal Service provides free mail of books and other material not just for the blind but the physically handicapped.) I had signed up to use books by mail but hadn't asked them for anything. Then the blur and covid-19 kicked in. One of them is "For the Win" by Cory Doctorow, an author I like, but I have to use a magnifying glass to read, which is tiring. I suspect the level of reading glasses I'd need would be prescription strength.

With Kindle I can kick up the magnification as High as I need it to read properly. The one thing I hate is on the PC version the app will not use more than about 8" of the width of the screen. Fucking free PDFs will spread across either the whole screen or split for showing 2 pages. Kindle will do that:splitting the screen into two 4" pieces!

* In this case it means Prevents Light Continuing (into the eye)
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 pm "For the Win" by Cory Doctorow
Maybe it's a bit late to get too wrapped up in that one?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

heh. Hey Pinback, Paul wants you to drive to Virginia and read the book to him.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:08 am heh. Hey Pinback, Paul wants you to drive to Virginia and read the book to him.
Jesus, 'Vark, did you even read what I wrote I said I prefer books in Kindle because I can "crank up the volume" or rather, the magnification. I said it is tiring to read using a magnifying glass, I never said or implied I wanted him to read it to me.

And you are behind the times! Why would ne need to drive here? He could read the book into his computer and e-mail the MP3s//OGGs of the chapters. If it doesn't have an audiobook maybe they'd want one

This is another reason the coronavirus might change things for the better, if we take advantage of it. I'll discuss that in a separate thread.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Awesome! I will buy you the Kindle version, and then we can discuss it.

What is the best/easiest way for me to purchase the Kindle version for you?

pinback

Post by pinback »

If you could just go ahead and shoot me over an answer to my question, that'd be wonderful!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Just go ahead and shoot that on over to me, whenever you get the chance. Thanks!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:06 am Paul, will you please answer my question? I feel it is difficult to get you to answer questions.
Patience, grasshopper, is something you need to cultivate. I have cartoons to draw, and a book I am busy writing. I check this place every so often, not continuously.

I don't sit around with the Jolt Country App on my phone advising me when the next posting comes out.

Hmmm....
- No Doubt, Don't Speak