Pleasure & Happiness

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Pleasure & Happiness

Post by Nisargadatta Maharaj »

Pleasure depends on things, happiness does not. As long as we believe that we need things to make us happy, we shall also believe that in their absence we must be miserable. Mind always shapes itself according to its beliefs. Hence the importance of convincing oneself that one need not be prodded into happiness; that, on the contrary, pleasure is a distraction and a nuisance, for it merely increases the false conviction that one needs to have and do things to be happy, when in reality it is just the opposite. But why talk of happiness at all? You do not think of happiness except when you are unhappy. A man who says "Now I am happy" is between two sorrows, past and future. This happiness is mere excitement caused by relief from pain. Real happiness is utterly unselfconscious. It is best expressed negatively as: "there is nothing wrong with me, I have nothing to worry about."

Flack

Post by Flack »

If you have any old video games, computers or computer games, or Star Wars collectibles, I am willing to take those reminders of sorrow off your hands.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

The Happiness Engine

Re: Pleasure & Happiness

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Nisargadatta Maharaj wrote: Real happiness is utterly unselfconscious. It is best expressed negatively as: "there is nothing wrong with me, I have nothing to worry about."
That doesn't sound like me AT ALL.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I feel sort of bad that I guilted Ben into editing his dead cats post, but I also know that true guilt comes from within.

THE
ZERO WEEKS
AARDVARK