This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

No.

pinback

Post by pinback »

The Happiness Engine wrote:No.
I love you dickheads, who apparently have never known suffering, who have never spent a moment in meditation or contemplation, and who just blindly believe everything you think without a single question, coming in here and just dropping "NO" or "WRONG".

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and I hope you die soon.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote:
I love you dickheads, who apparently have never known suffering, who have never spent a moment in meditation or contemplation, and who just blindly believe everything you think without a single question, coming in here and just dropping "NO" or "WRONG".

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and I hope you die soon.
It's a 37 minute video.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

You're saying his "no" is in response to being asked to watch a 37 minute video?

Well, I suppose that could be true. But Billy and Paul have been known to pull this FUCKIN BULLSHIT on me, so, y'know. We'll see.

Happiness Engine, what were you saying "no" to?

Flack

Post by Flack »

I made it ten minutes in, where the nice bald man suggested that a sign of mental health is the ability to sit alone in a room "for an hour or two" and just be happy doing nothing.

If you can block out 2 hours and 37 minutes on a whim to do whatever you want, including (but not limited to) watching a YouTube video and then sit quietly in a room undisturbed for two hours, your life is great. Don't change a fucking thing.

In the past three hours I've finished one homework assignment and started another. I took a break to pick a kid up from a slumber party and check my work email to see if anyone scheduled an 8am Monday morning meeting (one of their new favorite tricks). If I want two hours to myself to contemplate my own existence, it'll either be on the riding lawnmower or in the bathroom with the door locked while my kids scream at each other because somebody ate all the frozen waffles and put the empty box back in the freezer.

Two hours of silence around here is a sign that I need to go reboot the cable modem or the wireless router. Two hours! In a room! Doing nothing! What suffering!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Flack wrote:I made it ten minutes in, where the nice bald man suggested that a sign of mental health is the ability to sit alone in a room "for an hour or two" and just be happy doing nothing.
OK, that settles it then. I must be a psychopath. Two hours sitting alone in a room doing nothing is borderline torture for me.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I would love to be able to sit in a room for two hours doing nothing. not all the time, mind you, but you know on occasion. Actually, I have done just it, now that I think on it. I take my car to the "quick lane" to get oil changes. I take it on Friday afternoons which is the busiest time. the wait time is usually ninety minutes or so to which I say: "That's fine" and go have a seat and do nothing. I cant wait for the next five thousand miles.

THE
OOMM
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

The issue here is suffering. Not "something bad happened to me today", or the natural grief that comes with profound loss, nor the pain of a stubbed toe, or a broken leg.

This is a constant underpinning of "not-right-ness" which pervades every experience and leads to things like depression, drug abuse, suicide, and using a ridiculous amount of face cream.

This is not a "badge of dishonor". To know suffering is to search desperately to be rid of it. And though I don't know any of you other than through the internet, Flack, I feel, has not touched suffering -- at least in the context and definition we're using here. He is the busiest person I know, and constantly pushed and pulled by the needs of his daily life and his family, but I sense no suffering there. Other than having to be in a writing class taught by literally the worst writer ever.

I would suggest that even Paul, who you'd think would be the most suffering of us all, hasn't touched it. I don't think he is depressed. He certainly has never been driven to drink, which he will be happy to confirm for you.

Again, this isn't a private club we're happy to be a part of. But the stuff this video, and really, everything I've posted here on the topic of nonduality is pointing to, is a way out for those of us who suffer. Those of us you think would just be okay if we could not be so weak, or wake up and realize how good we have it, etc, etc.

Those arguments make sense to the arguer, but to the sufferer, they are absurd, because it is from a completely different -- and flawed -- perspective that the sufferer sees the world.

So this is an attempt to correct that perspective. And with that correction comes peace, and the cessation of struggle and suffering, and a wholesale reduction in skin cream product purchases.

The non-sufferer may find sitting alone in a room for two hours insufferable. The sufferer must do it to learn the way out.

For those of you that this sounds like nonsense that you have no need for, thank heavens for that.

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote:Flack, I feel, has not touched suffering -- at least in the context and definition we're using here.
I was all set to agree with you, and then I watched 4 more minutes of that video. Now I'm definitely a member of the club. Whoever's ordering the sleeping pills and razor blades, count me in.

The Happiness Engine

pinback wrote:

I'm sorry, which of us did an AMA-style thread about being locked up for drinking again? How many days have you spent in what is effectively baby-jail with nothing but your thoughts? I have no idea why I posted that, because I can guarantee I was drunk. I tried 10 seconds and man fuck that stupid asshole's bald head and his shit-face voice.

ICJ is right though, it was probably the "here's 37 minutes of touchy-feely BULL. SHIT."

The Happiness Engine

Haha, I only posted that yesterday? Yeah: real crunk.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Wow dude

The Happiness Engine

Got a lot of rage in my life.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The Happiness Engine is right - we've all got our crosses to bear, he's certainly shared a great deal of himself with us here and Breach 2 is better than the new XCOM games.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:I would suggest that even Paul, who you'd think would be the most suffering of us all, hasn't touched it. I don't think he is depressed. He certainly has never been driven to drink, which he will be happy to confirm for you.
I have offered thanks to the god I do not believe in that I have been saved from a life of potential alcoholism by the fact I find grain alcohol so distasteful that I have never been able to drink even the slightest amounts.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Wait, you don't drink alcohol at all?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Wait, you don't believe in god?

THE
NONBELIEVER
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

Let's see here

ICJ: I do not believe I have offered an opinion on this 'Breach 2' that you speak of.

Paul: Alcoholism has nothing to do with taste and you are so far removed from normal experience you will never understand this.