Rupert Spira disagrees with Tdarcos.

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

Rupert Spira disagrees with Tdarcos.

Post by pinback »

Regarding Tdarcos' (and others') insistence that "he" is somewhere behind his eyes.

[youtube][/youtube]
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Is this a whackjob? Because I don't want to waste 8min of my life listening to a whackjob.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I'd suggest not clicking on it until you're ready.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So that's never for me. I got enough whack-jobs floating around without watching them spout on Youtube.

THE
YOU'RE SOAKING IN IT
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Lotta judgment in this thread, folks. I wonder what it is you're afraid of.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'm afraid of an 8 minute whackjob, without the proper lubrication.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, you're all just being horrible. But that's okay. Forgiveness is the essence of who I am.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

He's a whackjob. There are so many things wrong with what Rupert Spira said I don't know where to begin. This is mostly new age mysticism.

First, I'll talk about the teenager asked what they're watching example. if you asked some teenager looking at a TV set "what are you looking at?" or "what are you watching?" I seriously believe they are going to respond the same way, by identifying the program. And if they turn off the TV and were asked either question, would answer "nothing." This guy goes out on a limb and proceeds to say that some (unidentified) percentage if asked "what are you looking at" when the TV is turned off are a bit smarter and that they'd say "the screen." I seriously doubt even 1 in 100,000 would answer the question literally.

I have stated that where I am (in my head) is "approximately" the back of my eyes because I cannot provide a better, more precise location. He proceeds to throw this out with an example of someone named Mark in Garrison dreaming they are someone else, named John, looking at the streets of New York, closing his eyes, and no longer seeing, presuming he is there in New York and his consciousness is behind his eyes, standing in New York, while he's actually in Garrison. Only thing is, Spira does not realize he's referring to a construct invented by his brain, and not to actual conditions.

You could see or experience anything your mind can conjure up in a dream and confusing the experience of a dream with reality is not a valid comparison.

In short, he gives no reason to argue otherwise and no evidence or even conjecture.

I can argue a better counterargument to my own opinion right now and he didn't even try. It is possible because the brain has no sensory cells - the brain cannot feel pain, for example - the actual location of the consciousness might be someplace else and it is the connection point to the senses that we perceive as the location of the consciousness rather than the actual location, which might be in the frontal lobes, or down in the back.

A real-life example would be a cell phone that has contact with one tower but does not have GPS. All the phone "knows" is that it is a certain distance away, plus or minus one mile, and that it sees the tower as 4 miles away. This means you make a circle 4 miles around a tower and make the circle 1 mile thick. Math tells us the area of the diameter of a circle is PI*R**2 (Pi x Radius raised to the second power.) For a 4 mile circle one mile wide, that's an area of 52 square miles that the phone can be located in.

I think what he is trying to say without explicitly saying it, is that not all of our consciousness is contained within our body. Which he provides no evidence or even conjecture for.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I knew that would go well. I consider the matter closed.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I should point out one thing, though:
Tdarcos wrote:First, I'll talk about the teenager asked what they're watching example. if you asked some teenager looking at a TV set "what are you looking at?" or "what are you watching?" I seriously believe they are going to respond the same way, by identifying the program. And if they turn off the TV and were asked either question, would answer "nothing." This guy goes out on a limb and proceeds to say that some (unidentified) percentage if asked "what are you looking at" when the TV is turned off are a bit smarter and that they'd say "the screen." I seriously doubt even 1 in 100,000 would answer the question literally.

I have stated that where I am (in my head) is "approximately" the back of my eyes because I cannot provide a better, more precise location. He proceeds to throw this out with an example of someone named Mark in Garrison dreaming they are someone else, named John, looking at the streets of New York, closing his eyes, and no longer seeing, presuming he is there in New York and his consciousness is behind his eyes, standing in New York, while he's actually in Garrison. Only thing is, Spira does not realize he's referring to a construct invented by his brain, and not to actual conditions.

You could see or experience anything your mind can conjure up in a dream and confusing the experience of a dream with reality is not a valid comparison.
Both of these things were metaphors, analogies to help convey the message he was intending to convey. The fact that you took them literally and responded as such just proves that you are a goddamn TREASURE to this BBS, and we are all happy you are here.