In Sobriety, I'm Really Enjoying Alcoholic Beverages

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Post by pinback »

Fatass wrote:I buy it. Many of the accepted definitions of 'alcoholic' don't include people who just...stopped, or cut back, or grew up, because of the stupid idea that if they could just change that easily, they weren't an alcoholic. Medically, they most definitely were, and then something happened and the crutch was inconvenient (like when my mother went back to work and stopped because she only liked day-drinking herself into a coma before 4pm) or wasn't needed much anymore ( I used to drink a half gallon of whatever until I got my thyroid and anxiety issues dealt with medically). So the definition is all fucked. I fucking love having 2 glasses of Scotch or wine a night, I enjoy the hell out of it, sometimes I go to bed and realize I forgot to drink at all, I wake up and feel healthy every morning and I've been this way for a year now.
Aw hell yeah.

Best, fucking, OF.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Flack wrote:I think ICJ's kind of over-reacting here. I think historically you'll find any addict, once having denounced formal treatment and declaring themselves cured, have had great success rates with going right back to whatever they were addicted to but only doing it a little bit this time. I mean, especially people who have just relapsed. Nope, absolutely nothing bad can come from this!
Bump.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You guys poked Flack until he reached his breaking point.

Do you think he ENJOYS this? Do you think he ENJOYS being right?

Well, he might, but you created this. You. (waves hands) ALL of you.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I would say he enjoys it a little. Hell, who doesn't enjoy being right now and again?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

My main concern is what effect this drastic change in lifestyle will have on the future of Jolt Country. If all these years Pinback's prolific posting habits were fueled by alcohol will a relatively sober Pinback be able to maintain his legacy?

Or maybe in his sobriety he will realize his previous revelations about life and such were all just insane alcohol induced hallucinations that make no sense to a sober person. Similar to how the brilliant world changing insights or visions of an acid trip suddenly become nonsense to the tripper once the drugs are out of his system.

Then again, perhaps with less time spent lost in the clouds of philosophical thought he will dedicate his more lucid and grounded intellect even more to bringing the content! ;)
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Garth's Equipment Shop wrote:My main concern is what effect this drastic change in lifestyle will have on the future of Jolt Country. If all these years Pinback's prolific posting habits were fueled by alcohol will a relatively sober Pinback be able to maintain his legacy?
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

What? Me Worry?
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Quit abstinence. It's pretty fucking scary, honestly.

(It tastes so good though.)

Donald Ebinsen

Post by Donald Ebinsen »

pinback wrote:So let me ask, for the THIRD time now:

How much time must pass before you are convinced that your thoughts about this are all wrong? How much time must pass with no amount increase and no struggle to keep from increasing, when you can finally admit that there has been a profound change here, and that my addiction/alcoholism has vanished completely?
When you're buried? Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Look, I don't necessarily agree with the definition of "alcoholism" and being new here I have no way of knowing whether you have some problem. My opinion is, can you manage your life, handle your work, have intimate friendships and ordinary interactions with others without your drinking getting in the way?

As far as I'm concerned, if someone does their work, is able to hang out with their friends, see their lover and perform, then whether they get drunk every night, smoke pot every day, snort coke or use crystal meth daily, as long as they don't hurt others and they can manage a normal life, they are not addicted no matter how often they engage in their favorite method of dulling the pain of life.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Donald Ebinsen wrote: snort coke or use crystal meth daily,
Too far.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Donald Ebinsen wrote:and being new here I have no way of knowing whether you have some problem.
HOLY SHIT YOU FUCKING TRICKED US ALL.