This game is rather good, isn't it

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC

This game is rather good, isn't it

Post by RealNC »

So I hit the "play" button when the game got released. I played for a while, and after about 2, maybe 3 hours or so, I decided to stop playing and go grab something to eat.

Then I realized it was 8 hours later, not 3.

Tdarcos

Re: This game is rather good, isn't it

Post by Tdarcos »

RealNC wrote:So I hit the "play" button when the game got released. I played for a while, and after about 2, maybe 3 hours or so, I decided to stop playing and go grab something to eat.

Then I realized it was 8 hours later, not 3.
Nowadays it's usually websurfing or reading Wikipedia that does that.

I heard that DOOM was, when it came out, the #1 cause of reduced productivity in American workplaces for about 2-3 weeks.

But now, a question since I haven't seen the game and based on Pinback's description of what it's about on his fake radio show I'm probably unlikely to do so, is it that the game is just very entertaining or is it (borderline or actually) addictive?
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

RealNC

Re: This game is rather good, isn't it

Post by RealNC »

Tdarcos wrote:is it that the game is just very entertaining or is it (borderline or actually) addictive?
Addictive. There's no plot in the game, no conversations, or anything like that. You fly around the galaxy, doing missions you get from space stations (they're just text on the station's bulletin board; no NPCs or cut-scenes or anything), doing trading by buying from one star system and selling to another, you hunt down pirates as a bounty hunter, you pirate yourself, stuff like that.

The addiction comes from doing all of the above, getting money out of it, and buying better gear (new ship and/or ship upgrades) which in turn allows you to make more money, which means even better gear, which means even more money...

The MMO aspect of the game is non-existent, btw. Everybody minds his own business and socializing with others in-game is next to impossible. It's basically a single-player MMO; if such a thing would even exist, this is it.