Why don't you play SC2?

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Why don't you play SC2?

Post by pinback »

Let's face it. You do not play SC2. Why? It's the most popular RTS in the world, and will be for at least five more years, probably more. But you're not playing it. I am genuinely curious about why not!

We should have a vibrant, loving, feeling, touching SC2 community on this website, but we don't, and it makes me sad.

Everyone is encouraged to respond, but in particular, I would like Tdarcos to tell us all why he does not play StarCraft II.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Re: Why don't you play SC2?

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Let's face it. You do not play SC2. Why? It's the most popular RTS in the world, and will be for at least five more years, probably more. But you're not playing it. I am genuinely curious about why not!

We should have a vibrant, loving, feeling, touching SC2 community on this website,
You make me weep and wanna die
Just when you said we'd try
Lovin', touchin', squeezin' each other
- Journey

I wanna know what love is
I want you to show me
- Foreigner
pinback wrote: but we don't, and it makes me sad.
There is some song that keeps flying around in my head has a line like "and it makes me sad" but I can't remember. I keep thinking of Dave Matthews "The Space Between" but that's not it. And it's making me mad and frustrates me that I can't remember.
pinback wrote:Everyone is encouraged to respond, but in particular, I would like Tdarcos to tell us all why he does not play StarCraft II.
I spoke about this on your other question about SC2 where I ask you, what is the game about and why is it fun, so you can answer it there. But I'll give you a reason.

If Starcraft 2 is primarily involved in fighting other users, well, to put it bluntly, I suck at it badly. My username on Steam is RFC1394 and my handle is "Paul R for Really Not Very Good." Part of the reason for my constant losses may be because I'm a handicapped person so I can't react as fast, and typically I'm up against other players who are much more experienced than I am and have considerable play time under their belt.

Someone once said that there are two types of games (where there is an ending involving a solution) that end up being not very fun. Ones where you can't ever win (or constantly end up losing every time) or ones where you can't ever lose. But the "can't ever win" or "always lose" type games get really unpleasant - and thus no fun - really fast.

I noticed this in Team Fortress 2, routinely if I'm in a game the other users will kill me like, real easy, real fast. I don't stand a chance.

Now, too many games where you're fighting an NPC, the AI is so strong that even the easiest setting gets me killed. Let's put it like this: the weakest NPCs start out at or above the toughness level of the Cyberdemon in DOOM.

I noticed this in Quake III Arena, even the goddam one eye tripod bot was really hard to fight. I mean, that's why there's supposed to be difficulty settings and if the easiest setting is like, the equivalent of two steps above Nightmare in DOOM, what the hell point is there?

This is more-or-less the thing that bothered me in Cryptozookeeper that I probably didn't have the words for at the time and I understand it better now. Yes, a lot of the other adventures will kill you or have timing puzzles or other problems, but they don't do it within the first ten minutes of the game, you're looking at having played the game for a considerable amount of time, several hours, before you get to a point where you can get into trouble and/or killed.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Re: Why don't you play SC2?

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:If Starcraft 2 is primarily involved in fighting other users, well, to put it bluntly, I suck at it badly.
I understand, and SC2 is quite the difficult game. However, SC2 has, built in, a very excellent matchmaking system which determines your skill based on results, and then attempts to only match you up with other players of your general skill level! So, if you are very very terrible, or very very great, you are all but guaranteed to play a fun, balanced, exciting match against someone else.

But as I said, you can ignore the multiplayer part entirely and simply enjoy the robust, exciting single-player campaign.
Now, too many games where you're fighting an NPC, the AI is so strong that even the easiest setting gets me killed. Let's put it like this: the weakest NPCs start out at or above the toughness level of the Cyberdemon in DOOM.
I can assure you, the "very easy" AI setting in SC2 is just that... After just a half hour or so of learning the basic commands in the game, you should be able to take down the "very easy" AI quickly. Then it's on to "easy"... then "medium"... It's very good about scaling to meet your skill level!
other adventures will kill you or have timing puzzles or other problems, but they don't do it within the first ten minutes of the game, you're looking at having played the game for a considerable amount of time, several hours,
The SC2 single-player campaign is also very good about leading you into the game on your terms. The first mission has just a few units, already built, and basically just teaches you how to move them around. After that, it continues to add on concepts, but by the time it's ready to introduce you to a concept, you're ready for it!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I don't play SC2 mainly because I am trying to limit my ability to multitask. I find there's too much life slipping by that I am not noticing or enjoying because I am trying to do five things at once. I will give examples later whne I get on a full size keyboard.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I used to love playing Starcraft. I can remember sketching out maps at work and then making them when I got home. I would watch replays for hours when my kid would play against his friends. Then the Starcraft ambition just dried up and died within me.

THE
DANCES WITH ZERG
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote:I used to love playing Starcraft. I can remember sketching out maps at work and then making them when I got home. I would watch replays for hours when my kid would play against his friends. Then the Starcraft ambition just dried up and died within me.
8^(

Maybe it's time to give 'er another go, there, 'vark!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Will there be a PS3 port? I should want to try it on my playstation. I wonder if my desktop will have the balls, It's almost three years old now.

THE
AGING BY THE MINUTE
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

No, SC2 is not available on consoles.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well...I guess I could give SC1 a go again and play the single player campaign. If I manage to isolate the free time.

Let me think upon this.

THE
RODIN
AARDVARK

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I could write a missive about "why I shouldn't play Starcraft II" but the fact is, I am playing Starcraft II. So hey, lets play Starcraft II!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Retro Romper is FACKIN BACK!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I would like to both play SC2 with RetroRomper, and also understand the key points in his unwritten essay on why he shoudn't!

Frosty#862.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

pinback wrote:I would like to both play SC2 with RetroRomper, and also understand the key points in his unwritten essay on why he shoudn't!

Frosty#862.
Add me on battle.net: retroromper@gmail.com

Key points? Key points!

Why I shouldn't be playing SCII:

1) Starcraft II is a video game, video games add
NOTHING TO ONES LIFE.
1a) Just kidding!

2) Starcraft II isn't just one video game: every. single. custom. map. qualifies as another full game within SCII
2a) Starcraft: Big Game Hunters, Tower Defense, Smash TV, Alien vs. Predator, etc.

Warcraft III: Defense of the Ancients (= League of Legends & DoTA 2).

SCII: Normal SCII, Star Battle, Power Tower, European Risk, etc.

4b) Blizzard has created a series of games where the time required to be good at all aspects of that game increases exponentially.

3) SCII doesn't fit into the video games I write about (IE, I just wrote a review for a SNES game called Cybernator).
3a) SCII is a development of the World of Warcraft / Warcraft III mindset, which makes World of Warcraft / Warcraft III important.

4) Time
4a) Martial arts / Girl friend / Reading / Homework / ...Video games?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Friend request: SENT!

I sent it from my fancy new Random account ("Talby").

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Haven't seen you around and it appears you've disappeared from my buddy list... Sure, okay, fine, peachy.

We need to play!

Why not designate an official "Jolt Country Starcraft II Weekend" so I can b

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Dammit!

OK, due to some residual guilt, I have installed THE FIRST Starcraft game into my laptop (netbook). This is sort of a push to get me back into the genre again. Thinks I : 'I will complete the single player game then emerge refreshed and vigorous, like I have just had a hot shower and a Jolt Cola!'

Such is not the case. Dismal frustration sets in almost immediately as the tiny base I have created is decimated by a simple bunch of zerglings. I have forgotten most of the keyboard shortcuts and can barely hit them on my mini netbook. I usually slam the lid closed and go and do something else.

THE
WTF
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

GEE GEE

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I'm officially retiring from SCII.

I'll miss all of you!

pinback

Post by pinback »

But...

...but why??

We had so much fun!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Also can I have your account?