A discussion on games

Let's make some computer and video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

A discussion on games

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:28 pm

When I finished Cryptozookeeper I said I'd never make a big game again. And I sort of didn't. Retro-Nemesis only took a few months. I meant I'd never make a game that took forever again though! And that I failed at. I started Cyberganked in 2012. I feel I am the one dude that understood why Blakemore took 20 years for Grimoire. His game is more complicated than mine and he had to have day jobs like I do. 20 years? Man, I get it.

I'm considering making a shorter game for the fall comp. It would delay Cyberganked. I have a thing I am working on with Mike Sousa and we are probably 3 months from finishing it. I should just do it. Get a game out there, get my name out there again, let people know that I still work on this stuff. That is what I should do.

I've had so many starts and stops with Mike that unless I had the rest of the game ready I couldn't contact him. But maybe I should. It's so close.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Re: A discussion on games

Post by pinback » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:57 pm

If I may be so bold, it was a mistake for you to accept a new large game. Writing snappy, hilarious quick games is your first, best destiny. Anything else is a waste of materiel.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 am

You made a commitment to a friend, now is the time to fulfill it. Finish the game with Mike Sousa and then worry about Cyberganked later.

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:06 pm

It sounds like you need a break from Cyberganked, so working with Mike to finish that game would allow to you come back to CG afterwards with a clear mind and renewed interest.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 am

pinback wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:57 pm
If I may be so bold, it was a mistake for you to accept a new large game. Writing snappy, hilarious quick games is your first, best destiny. Anything else is a waste of materiel.
Thank you for setting me straight in a way that I would understand and listen to. /spends 2 minutes trying to make the salute with my hands

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:45 am

Billy Mays wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 am
You made a commitment to a friend, now is the time to fulfill it. Finish the game with Mike Sousa and then worry about Cyberganked later.
Mike is a good friend, a treasured ally, a good person. This is appreciated wisdom, and I greatly appreciate it.

Did you get into any of his games, Billy? I really enjoyed Monk-Fish, as they call it. Actually, I don't know if I ever asked if you got deep into text games before finding the communities.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 am

RealNC wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:06 pm
It sounds like you need a break from Cyberganked, so working with Mike to finish that game would allow to you come back to CG afterwards with a clear mind and renewed interest.
Thank you, RealNC. I couldn't have gotten as far as I have without you, and I sincerely hope you know that.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 am

Yes, I used to play text adventures quite a bit. That game you recommended has been on my radar to play for some time now, I think I'll give it a try this week!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 pm

I have decided to work on the game with Sousa every day until I finish the writing for it. Thank you all for the help.