Cyberganked progress - Summer 2020

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Cyberganked progress - Summer 2020

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You can now enable burst mode for certain weapons. The Uzi machine gun and Beretta pistol and others will let you fire additional shots with a to-hit penalty in a given combat round.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Re: Cyberganked progress - Summer 2020

Post by Billy Mays »

The Uzi is classified as a submachine gun and the Beretta 93R is a machine pistol.

Also, something not accounted for in many games, is the cumulative effect of burst or rapid fire on the human body. Basically, multiple gunshots to the same region in quick succession generates more "damage" to the individual than the same amount of gunshots over a longer and slower amount of time. This can be achieved through automatic fire or by rapid semiautomatic fire.

I didn't put "damage" in quotation marks to sound cute or talk down to you, I did that because there are a lot of factors at play that go beyond damage that are likely superfluous to the conversation.

Methods I have seen this played out in tabletop games include adding a damage modifier to each successive shot that hits such as on a 3 shot burst using a d6 weapon: 1d6, 1d6+1, 1d6+2 or you can use exponential damage which is arguably more realistic but may be overpowered for game balance: 1d6, 1d6+3, 1d6+9. A miss could reset the the damage modifier counter or it could pick back up in the string on the next hit for that turn.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ooooo I like that a lot. Okay, going to try to put that in. And thanks for the clarification the two guns. I had heard the term "submachine gun" in regards to the Uzi, buy when I went to type that post it occurred to me that I have no idea what the difference is between a submachine gun and a machine gun.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:49 pmI have no idea what the difference is between a submachine gun and a machine gun.
When you get down to brass tacks literally nobody on Earth including myself or the government really understands gun classification. It's a confusing fucking nightmare. Half of it is set in stone and the other half is some gray area shit trapped in limbo. Take for example how a pistol grip shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18" is considered a short barreled shotgun or a destructive device and requires a federal tax stamp to own (miles of paperwork, local law enforcement approval on letterhead, hundreds of dollars, go fuck yourself you're never getting it) but they sell a pistol version that is classified as a handgun and can be purchased at a sporting goods store with a two minute phone call. Literally the same gun, just one you will never in a million years get your hands on and the other one you can pick up and they will throw it in the same bag with your new tennis racket and sunscreen. I can go on and on about this topic and it only gets worse/funnier...Anyways:

Machine Gun: Any firearm that fires a rifle caliber cartridge and is capable of firing more than one bullet with each pull of the trigger. Machine guns are ofter operated via a selector switch that is almost always incorporated into the safety where the operator can select what mode they want the gun to fire in when the trigger is pressed. Safe, Semiautomatic, Burst, Automatic. Not all machine guns will have all of these options but they will have at least burst or automatic. Burst determines how many rounds are fired with each pull of the trigger and differs from gun to gun and automatic will keep firing as long as the trigger is held down. More common examples are military M-4 rifle and AK variants. A .50 caliber is always mounted and considered a heavy machine gun, .30 (7.62 mm)calibers are often mounted and are often but not always considered a medium machine gun, and .22 calibers (5.56 mm) are usually man portable, can be mounted, and considered a light machine gun or a squad automatic weapon. The rifles carried now mainly the M-4 is considered an assault rifle and fires the 5.56 mm nato round, when the standard nato round was the 7.62 then the infantry rifle was considered a battle rifle.

SubMachine Gun: Any firearm that fires a pistol caliber cartridge and is capable of firing more than one bullet with each pull of the trigger. Safe, Semiautomatic, Burst, Automatic. Not all submachine guns will have all of these options but they will have at least burst or automatic. They often have stocks, but not always. Common examples include the Thompson Submachine gun .45 and the Uzi, MP5, Mack 10 all commonly in 9mm. Other pistol calibers are used as well.

Machine Pistol: This is a pistol that also has burst and or automatic fire as an option. This classification is super hard to pin down what makes it different from the submachine gun category. The Beretta 93R and the Glock 18 are two of the most common firearms in this category. They are pistols designed by the manufacturer to also have an automatic feature. What makes it so tricky is that many submachine guns have a micro version that borders on being a machine pistol but also has a stock option so sometimes it is a submachine gun and sometimes it is a machine pistol.

Long gun or handgun: The only two (two most common?) classifications the ATF uses to describe any firearm commonly available for civilian purchase. Tax stamp stuff like short barreled, machine gun, silencers, stuff like that is an entirely different animal. Out of long gun or handgun you have:

Semiautomatic Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun: Any firearm that is only able to fire one round with each pull of the trigger. Often it is defined by what type of cartridge it fires, barrel length, and whether it has a stock. But then there are carbines which are usually semiautomatic rifles that fire a pistol caliber round but not always, the m1 is a carbine and fires a distinct round that is not of pistol caliber. There are other exceptions as well but in general if it has a stock and fires a rifle round it is a rifle, if it has a stock and fires a shotgun round it is a shotgun, if it doesn't have a stock but fires a shotgun round it is usually a shotgun, pistols are well pistols, but then you have rifles and shotguns without stocks that are classified as pistols as well.

Bolt action, lever action, pump action, break action, I'm probably missing a few things: A firearm that requires a mechanical action, it's usually in the name, prior to each pull of the trigger to cycle a new round into the chamber.

Assault Rifle: This is a term thrown around by anti-gunners to scare the general public and is only accurate when describing what the military uses.

Sporting Rifle: This is a term thrown around by pro-gunners to calm the general public and while it is more accurate it sort of downplays things a bit.

Here's the gist, it's probably not wikiperfect but if you have any questions feel free to ask them here or pm me or where ever.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I did my best but that last post is a confusing mess. It's not me, nobody really understands any of it. It may just be easier if you threw a list of weapons at me and I told you what they are classified as and whatever sort of other interesting game related stuff you want to know about them?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:24 pm Also, something not accounted for in many games, is the cumulative effect of burst or rapid fire on the human body. Basically, multiple gunshots to the same region in quick succession generates more "damage" to the individual than the same amount of gunshots over a longer and slower amount of time. This can be achieved through automatic fire or by rapid semiautomatic fire.
Two things.
1. "Rapd Semiautomatic fire" is quite realistic. I've seen professionals do shooting of things like emptying a 10-shot clip in 8 seconds. And on that video by Bo that I mentioned after Finn recommended him, Bo changed out the magazine in the replica toy rifle in 3 seconds, and I believe that to be realistic for a real weapon.

So, someone could, if using 20-shot magazines, put 40 rounds in a target - or that many in multiple people - in as many seconds. or if 10-round mags, add 6 seconds. Sure, at worst, after 10 shots (if at one person) you're probably plugging a corpse, but a professional shooter can do really amazing things. And I may actually be underestimating how fast a person can shoot when trained.

2. Multiple gunshots case more damage makes sense. When a body is struck by a bullet, there are things the body does to respond. Anticoagulants rush to the wound site to try to stop bleeding (which is why when they take blood or prick you it closes up within a couple minutes). Blood vessels or other connective points have to try to close to stop bleeding, or might have to supply other things like white corpuscles to fight infection, and so on. These take time; they are not instantaneous. Thus if there are multiple gunshots, the body has to handle multiple simultaneous injuries - or one massive one if it's multiple wounds to the same area - and if the trauma is too severe, probably the body just "quits"; the person dies from shock: too many emergency messages coming in too fast.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:28 pm I did my best but that last post is a confusing mess. It's not me, nobody really understands any of it. It may just be easier if you threw a list of weapons at me and I told you what they are classified as and whatever sort of other interesting game related stuff you want to know about them?
This is a WEALTH of information. You know what, if there's going to be guns in the game I want to do them "right." It will take me a little time to process the masterclass you have given me on firearms intros. I can't thank you enough.

I have a board on Asana for project tracking and I haven't updated it in six months, but I was closing tasks. So I am "ahead" of where I should be, which means I have time this week to implement some knowledge about these weapons.

There's not a lot of guns in the game because they become over powered, but I will get the list and post them here. I'd love to know your take on which ones you like, which ones suck and if some of them have special features.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:41 ambut I will get the list and post them here. I'd love to know your take on which ones you like, which ones suck and if some of them have special features.
That sounds good, I will do that.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

One of the weapons in the game should be a portable t-shirt launcher like you see at ballparks, have it do stun damage or a low amount of physical damage, and after winning the combat then the t-shirts you previously fired should be added to the enemies loot drop...they could be those Jolt Country t-shirts...

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I'm thinking of something funny. How about a "meta t-sshirt"? Presuming this is interactive fiction, if you READ SHIRT or READ TSHIRT, the t-shirt says either "Good for one free t-shirt at T-Shirts Plus" or "Redeem this t-shirt for one free t-shirt at T-Shirts Plus" then if they are in the T-Shirts Plus store, and type either "REDEEM TSHIRT" or "GIVE TSHRT TO SHOPKEEPER" it says "The shopkeeper hands you back the t-shirt, and says 'Here's your free t-shirt, sir. Thank you for shopping at T-Shirts Plus!' "
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Please don't allow your opinion of my pretty good idea to be influenced by Tdarcos' idea.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Well I thought it was funny...
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

My time has gotten away from me a little bit but I'll be resuming this with Billy as soon as I can. It's ... been a week. It's been a week for all of us. That week you're having? I'm having it too.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:55 pm I'll be resuming this with Billy as soon as I can.
Yes, that sounds good to me. Just tell me if you want to do it through here, pm, or email and I'll help out the best I can.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

If you want to do it here in a thread then a new topic in the troll room or somewhere with an edit option would be nice.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Going to try to start this tomorrow, I have CGA time again.

Ice Cream Jonsey

From and including: Thursday, July 12, 2012
To, but not including Monday, March 15, 2021

Result: 3168 days
It is 3168 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date.

Or 8 years, 8 months, 3 days excluding the end date.

Or 104 months, 3 days excluding the end date.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'll make a 2021 thread, but I did no work from March 19th, until today, where I checked in a new room.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:37 pm I'll make a 2021 thread, but I did no work from March 19th, until today, where I checked in a new room.
When you say "I checked in a new room" you do not mean you used a different room at a motel, but that "i added one or more files carrying the code for a room and its contents to a source code repository."

Given that to be the case, which SCM do you use? There are now five: CVS, Git, Mercurial, Subversion, and Gnu Bazaar. Well six, if you want to include the "source code repository from hell" or the "spawn of Satan" Microsoft Sourcesafe. I've heard horror stories about how bad and unreliable it is, including the unforgivable sin of corrupting repositories in some cases.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah, checked a new room into the game. Baby steps for me.

I'm using git. My old workplace was using that and I decided I am "good" working with one source manager in my life. That's the right number for me these days.