[WIP] Adventure game with pen & paper look

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

jupider

[WIP] Adventure game with pen & paper look

Post by jupider »

So I whipped up a dozen or so tiles and objects to make the worldmap look like it has been drawn on a sheet of wide ruled paper. I thought it gave a rather nostalgic look to it. The paper background, in my opinion, is perfect. And I rather like the water and hill tiles. The grass is okay, but the small and large mountains are too detailed any maybe just need to be zig-zaggy lines instead. (I never made any forest/tree tiles for some reason...?) My intention was to make it look like you were actually playing on a map that someone had drawn on a sheet of paper. Unfortunately, given the 16x16 limitation of the tiles, I kind of hit a wall in the department of character and monster tiles. Ideally, I'd like them to appear to have been hand-drawn with either a pen or pencil, but I don't have the artistic ability to do so. If anyone is interested in playing with it, I can send/upload what I have; It'd be interesting to see what can be done with this.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Bringing virtual lined notebook paper into the game is a nice touch - lol. Love it.

Garth's Equipment Shop

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

Hey bro, in the archive you provided there is just one sample game with the generic color tiles, the one with the hiking boots, boat and hot air baloon. The one in the image you showed in your original post here with the pen and paper game is not there.
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?