Poison? P On Hit Points

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

joebonk

Poison? P On Hit Points

Post by joebonk »

I got poison working. And the cure working. Only, when the cure happens, the P next to the hit points doesn't go away.
Perhaps I have to do a clrscr or fixpal or whatever to get the screen refreshed. (Wonder is there is a screen refresh command?)

Also, if I use bmsg (for a short message), it flashes too quickly to see. The message disappears so fast as to never be able to read.
Perhaps because the game goes an extra step. I get hit by monsters after entering a portal, even though I should go to where the portal goes first.

Have a good weekend.

Admiral Ackguh

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

The only thing that will refresh the poison indicator would be to change LOC[X] or LOC[Y], to force a screen re-draw. You could also use DRAW to cover up the indicator with a black spot, at the moment of "un-poisoning".
- A:A:

joebonk

Post by joebonk »

thank you admiral. Probably the draw command is the way to go. I wonder what would happen if is simply entered:
set loc[x] = loc[x]
set loc[y] = loc[y]
and that would redraw the screen without having to change the location.

Admiral Ackguh

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

joebonk wrote:thank you admiral. Probably the draw command is the way to go. I wonder what would happen if is simply entered:
set loc[x] = loc[x]
set loc[y] = loc[y]
and that would redraw the screen without having to change the location.
You don't need to set both LOC[X] and LOC[Y]; either by itself will do. Resetting either LOC does more than redraw the screen. It reloads the current room (or worldmap slice) from the disk file, and generates wandering creatures, with a noticeable pause. DRAWing over the green P indicator would be easier for the end user.

As for BMSG, the message should stay on the screen until the system does something like move creatures. Perhaps putting a PAUSE or PAUSEK after the BMSG might help? If your creatures are taking double moves, you probably have a terrain-altering step macro.
- A:A: