Using custom PALETTE.BMP file in ACK.

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Garth's Equipment Shop

Using custom PALETTE.BMP file in ACK.

Post by Garth's Equipment Shop »

So far I've usually tried to convert new graphics sets to the default ACK palette, but now find it necessary to use a new palette of my own design to make some fancier tiles work right.

First I gathered and edited all the tiles i wanted to use and put them in one big file in Photoshop and saved the palette. Then I divided all my tiles up into 320x200 sets for importing to ACK, loaded the master palette I created, and saved them each with the same palette. Then I saved one of them to the game dir as PALETTE.BMP.

When I loaded the game and editors I had to change the text colors so i could read the menus and such. But then when I go into the tile editor and view the palette it is still the default ack palette. And when I import tiles from the sets using the new palette they look fine while i am selecting a tile for import but once it is imported into ACK it still uses the default ACK palette and just looks like a random mess.
Which of you is interested in my fine wares?

Garth's Equipment Shop

Oh i see.. well sort of. I got it to work, though i am not sure what it means now. I had to load the original editor menu and make a new adventure folder. Then I copied the palette.bmp to it. Then when I loaded the tile editor it changed the palette. And now when I load that adventure from the launcher it uses the new palette file. But the game directory i already had with the new palette file still doesnt work even after trying to load it from the original editors. I also noticed that all the files in the new adventure i created have the custom adventure name i chose to name it. The other one which doesnt work with the new palette has all "modern" file names instead of using the name i gave it when i created it. So maybe that has something to do with it?

Garth's Equipment Shop

Ok it gets stranger. That old adventure folder with the modern kit files in it, which always uses the default palette when loaded from the ACK Windows launcher, actually uses the PALETTE.BMP file for it's palette but only when loaded from the original ACK DOS menu and it's editors. Weird...