Running ACK on linux

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Chris H

Running ACK on linux

Post by Chris H »

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a new thread to catch anyone who might be trying to run ACK on linux systems. The trick is entirely in getting DosBox to run, of course; any platform that can properly run DosBox should be able to run ACK.

So I have it running on my little Asus Eee PC (a tiny little netbook) and it seems to run fine, even though the DosBox package in the Debian "stable" repository is older (0.65).

There's no Linux launcher for ACK, but it has its own "main menu" app, so this isn't really a problem.

The only thing I really had to fight with was figuring out what to do with dosbox.conf. :) It looks like it gets renamed to .dosboxrc and placed in the /home/username folder.

On another system (Ubuntu on a regular PC) I tried running the Windows launcher via WINE, and not surprisingly DosBox did not work that way.

I suppose most people who are using both linux and ACK are probably comfortable enough in the environment to be able to figure all of this out, but if anyone needs help, this is the place to speak up.

Post by Guest »

Hi, in my experience you can still use dosbox.conf in linux. It will look for the file in the local directory first and then go to defaults afterwards. The way I typically make game-specific configs is:

1. run dosbox in the game's directory, type config -writeconf dosbox.conf
2. Now I have a default conf to edit, I make any changes.
3. Afterwards I always start dosbox from the game's directory.