WIP (no name yet)

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

qrleon

WIP (no name yet)

Post by qrleon »

Enh, it's a start.

I was thinking of doing a murder mystery, but that would be conspicuous in a world where you kill something every ten feet. Hopefully I can work in some exploration-oriented gameplay: destroyable terrain seems like a good way to begin that.

(Now to justify having gigantic lollipops in my game.)

Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Cool tiles -- I always like seeing totally different looks. And giant lollipops need no justification.

Giant lollipops + murder mystery + constantly killing things... For some reason I'm suddenly picturing a really twisted version of Candyland. Like the kids on the "start" of the game board went missing somewhere along the route and you need to figure out what happened to them, while fending off rabid gummi bears.

I think something went wrong during my childhood, I should seek help. :)

GB

Cool Tiles

Post by GB »

Those are cool tiles, like the man said. Very symbolic, a worthwhile design choice, and apparently working well and within the limitations of the medium.

pinback

Post by pinback »

That is a game I would like to play!

And you need the lollipops to fend off the sharks who are rapidly circling! (Sharks hate lollipops.)

Wait, are we "above the line" people allowed down in these bases?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

qrleon

Post by qrleon »

So I'm still fumbling around with macros, the first thing I've gotten them to do properly is teleport the player to and from a special enclosed location when a certain misc item is used. the primary use for this would be to claim heavy treasures without being encumbered by them.

macro:

(region 6 is the "enclosed area")

1: IF LOC[RG] = 6 THEN 9
2: SET X2 = LOC[X]
3: SET Y2 = LOC[Y]
4: SET Z2 = LOC[RG]
5: SET LOC[RG] = 6
6: SET LOC[X] = 8
7: SET LOC[Y] = 8
8: STOP
9: SET LOC[RG] = Z2
10: SET LOC[X] = X2
11: SET LOC[Y] = Y2
12: STOP
13:

anyhoo it works fine with world maps, but when teleporting from a room map to the enclosed area (which is a world map), the player's room xy ends up being the destination xy, and i'm not sure why. I've tried swapping the order of set region and set xy: no change.

Chris H

Post by Chris H »

I see you're capturing the player's previous location with variables so you can go back to it -- you need to also capture LOC[RM] if you're going from (and back to) a room map, so it knows what room to stick you back into. If that doesn't fix the problem, let me know and I'll troubleshoot how the code handles teleporting you from one region type to another.

qrleon

Post by qrleon »

Oh yeah, I forgot about loc[rm].

1: IF LOC[RG] = 6 THEN 10
2: SET W2 = LOC[RM]
3: SET X2 = LOC[X]
4: SET Y2 = LOC[Y]
5: SET Z2 = LOC[RG]
6: SET LOC[RG] = 6
7: SET LOC[X] = 8
8: SET LOC[Y] = 8
9: STOP
10: SET LOC[RG] = Z2
11: SET LOC[RM] = W2
12: SET LOC[X] = X2
13: SET LOC[Y] = Y2

Adding loc[rm] fixes warping back to different rooms, but the player still enters the enclosed space on coordinates other than 8,8. (using the item while standing at 2,2 in the room map will send you to 2,2 on the enclosed area.)

Chris H

Post by Chris H »

I'll check it out... don't be shocked if there's a patch later tonight ;)

Chris H

Post by Chris H »

I can't seem to duplicate the problem you're having. Are you running the latest patch? (your ACK\UPDATES.TXT file should say v3.207)

qrleon

Post by qrleon »

Thanks, the 3.208 patch fixed it. It also looks like you cleaned up the transition, and enemies no longer get free hits on the player when teleporting (which is good.)

qrleon

Post by qrleon »

So that this doesn't stay unfinished for a long time, I'm going to make up plans for it this weekend and then fill out the graphics for people/enemies/creatures. I'll try to get something substantial done every week. I don't expect it to be very long; I've had trouble concentrating on things but I don't like to leave loose ends.

It's called QUEST FOR INCREDIBLE ARTIFACTS