Trying to ghetto up some better music support - any ideas?

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Biffsnot oO

Trying to ghetto up some better music support - any ideas?

Post by Biffsnot oO »

Hey. I am trying to make up a workaround for better music support for my game. I find that a game with good ambient music can really work out even if it has dated graphics. Soooo....

Basically I am looking for ideas on how to get better music in-game. Cant use voc's because of the length issue, cant use mp3's because of the whole-game-pausing issue, I even tried to find a tsr based mp3 player, to no avail.

Maybe use some sort of external program like winamp and somehow control it in-game (made difficult because of the virtual-drive dosbox issue).

Any thoughts?

jjsonick

Post by jjsonick »

You are in luck - the next version of ACK has a re-vamped sound engine that will play .raw files - which are much higher quality that .voc, and it can play them looped for background music, and multiple sounds simultaneously. The Windows version of ACK will come with some converters (wav, mp3 -> .raw), and I believe there's free converters for Mac as well.

I've beta-tested it for Chris so I know it's working. Chris has been really busy recently, but hopes to have that version out soon. If you email him, he'd probably be glad to send the most recent version to you to have another beta-tester.