Let's Save & Preserve ACK!

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Let's Save & Preserve ACK!

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Lemme start by asking Garth and Nihil Vulture. What do you want me to ask them?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

bryanb wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:07 pm Hey Retro, is the repo in any condition to be looked at by outside eyes just yet? I'm about to start work on my little site and would like to make sure I have all the games that you do before we get the big Paul Haul.
Sorry! Bryan, is there a better and faster way to talk to you?

Discord, email, telegram, etc. are fine, but it would help motivate me to be in communicae with you and could maybe let us coordinate better as things come together. For example, I'm going to see if a friend can give us a subdomain to link to your ACK website, including having it under their GitHub repo.

Right now these are what I'm working through:

1. I used a third party Google Drive client that ate all of my Google Forms (.gforms) so I need to recreate the ACK form.
2. The woman I found to help with the long play videos and reviews, has worked through two games so far with attached reviews.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
3. A friend who works with my preservation group is going to create a video compilation of all the long plays, alongside narration and a few other things.
4. Still have the banner for the form, thankfully so it's just maybe an hour of work to recreate it, then can send it out immediately.

Clear path ahead!

Retro "I ain't get no respect" Romper
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

RetroRomper wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:35 am Sorry! Bryan, is there a better and faster way to talk to you?
Well, I have added both of our names to the Neuralink waitlist. I want to program it so any thought either of us have about ACK is immediately transmitted to the other person. Hopefully neither of us say "Ack!" every time we stub our toes...I usually go with something stronger for those situations. Seriously, though, don't worry if you can't get back to me right away. The nice thing about talking on this thread is that it helps generate interest, antici...pation, and excitement for the project. Email is probably the best way to get in contact with me privately. I generally let my phone calls go to voicemail and call people back later so it isn't fast and some stuff does unfortunately get lost in the shuffle like the time a local bookstore left me five messages telling me my birthday gift for my sister wouldn't arrive in time. I only found out after the birthday had come and gone. Oops.

I feel guilty I haven't really done anything for my ACK site yet, but I do have a plan for it. Hopefully I can start working on it this week. I'm glad to know you're still plugging away on this!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Holy shit, am I an actual Video Game Archivist?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I've been bummed about one thing or another and have had other time sensitive projects on my plate, but I'm pretty sure learning whether or not Tdarcos has backups of the files he put together will spur me on.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

hapticanimal

Post by hapticanimal »

bryanb wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:25 am
RetroRomper wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:35 am Sorry! Bryan, is there a better and faster way to talk to you?
Well, I have added both of our names to the Neuralink waitlist. I want to program it so any thought either of us have about ACK is immediately transmitted to the other
I'm higher than fuck and can't find where you asked about it, but I can give you whatever subdomain you'd like for this at *.preservationquest.org as a redirect or I could ask someone about rustling me up some webserver powa.

ack.preservationquest.org sound fine?

Could also do augh.preservationquest.org/

Or imsorelievedthattdarcosdidntdiebeforesendinghisNAStoflack.preservationquest.org/

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Thanks for the offer! My Plan A is still to host it on Neocities as part of my planned retro homepage project, but I'll definitely let you know if that doesn't work out for some reason. The main problem I'm facing is that I'm really bad at time management. I haven't been completely idle on this, but I was thinking I ought to write a new review for RFTK before creating the ACK site. That unfortunately has just lead to a cycle of me playing games and deciding not to review them for one reason or another. For instance, I've decided that Winter Wonderland is best played during the holidays -- outside of it or at least outside of the competition, the magic just isn't quite there. And I found out I no longer remember how to finish A Change in the Weather though I did at least get to replay my favorite scene from that game.

I really don't want my life to be day after day of work, eat, and sleep until I retire so I'm definitely going to try to do better on this. As far as I can remember, the only time in my life when I was sort of good at time management was during college so the plan is to pull at least one all nighter at least once a week so I can actually get something done. The Cheetos and caffeinated beverages have already been stocked, and I've pulled the old faded backpack out of storage. The Plymouth Reliant is starting, but it needs a new muffler. This is clearly going to be a process -- a journey, even.

RRomper

Post by RRomper »

I have the form and everything else ready except for the compilation video of the long plays, which will be forthcoming after a few other projects are wrapped up.

However, I require a password reset on my SaveACK as I am unable to use the password reset mechanism, and to be able to PM the aforementioned parties. Overall, I'm ready to wrap things up and move on with this preservation tang.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Damnit RR, now you got me wanting TANG.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

RRomper wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 pm I have the form and everything else ready except for the compilation video of the long plays, which will be forthcoming after a few other projects are wrapped up.

However, I require a password reset on my SaveACK as I am unable to use the password reset mechanism, and to be able to PM the aforementioned parties. Overall, I'm ready to wrap things up and move on with this preservation tang.
Why can't you use the password reset function?

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am seeing an error with the password reset screen. Can you tell me the error you are seeing with the process?

RetroRomping

Post by RetroRomping »

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Sca wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:58 pm ...More seriously, if this is still happening and you're really looking for anything ACK-related to add to the archive, I do have three or four unfinished ACK games on an external hard drive somewhere... I don't know where they are offhand, but I'm sure I'll run across them. (Plus a couple of ACK custom fonts I made for other games that are in such rudimentary stages I hesitate to even call them unfinished games.) Since they are, well, unfinished games, though, I don't know if anyone would be interested in them.

(Besides, I now have a good reason for actually finishing those games... eventually. Probably not for a couple of years, though.)
Yeah, we definitely want them! I haven't talked to Retro recently and am not sure of his current plans, but I do still plan to create an ACK website and a good number of games I've tracked down so far have been unfinished so yours would fit right in. Of course, it'll be even better when you do finish them and finally prove all the naysayers who've been saying things like "Sca doesn't finish anything" and "Sca can't spell ska" all these years wrong. Also, I guarantee those people will have nothing to do with the website. I'm cutting them off!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Retro wasn't going to finish anything and whatever his plans were should be ignored. We'd love to host your work, Sca.