The Interactive Fiction Top 50

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Interactive Fiction Top 50

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You can check it out here: http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=17422

Victor Gijsbers is running a top 50 poll along the same lines that he did a few years back. Here's his instructions:
The aim is not to decide what the best IF ever is by majority vote -- that would be foolish. Rather, the aims of the top 50 are:

To create a good opportunity for people to think about the best games they have played, and discuss their ideas on this topic with others.
To allow people to be inspired by what they see on other people's lists.
To create a useful list of great games at which you can point newcomers to the IF scene.
To create a way to track how the taste of the community evolves.

To make this work, I need your help. Please send me a list of between 1 and 20 interactive fiction games that you consider to be the best IF games ever made (or at least the best that you have played). The list can be posted in this topic, or mailed to myfirstname@lilith.cc, where you replace "myfirstname" with my first name. Which is Victor. You can also email me if you want me to post your list on the forum (in case you don't have/want an account). Here are the rules:

You can list between 1 and 20 games.
The order in which you list the games is not important. The total number of points a work receives is the total number of votes it gets.
You can list each work only once.
You can list multiple works by one author.
You can list your own works.
It's up to you to decide whether a work counts as interactive fiction. As a rough rule of thumb, anything that is or should be listed on the IFDB is suitable. (Response to question: commercial games, including the Infocom titles, are fine.)
We are asking you to identify the best interactive fiction, not the most influential, most important, most innovative or most accessible interactive fiction. (But of course, if you believe that influence, importance, innovation or accessibility are important parts of being good, that is fine.)
The deadline for entering your list is 15 March 2015.
The organiser is allowed to participate. (It's good to be making the rules.)

You don't need to do anything except send in a list. However, the whole thing will be a lot more fun if you also post the rationale behind your choices in some public place.

I hope to see many of you participate!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!