Nnnngh

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Nnnngh

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The page I had setup that introduced my games had the old (dead) links to Hugor. Nnnngh.

I don't know how anyone plays any of my stuff. It shouldn't be this hard. The presentation could be better. It's a fucking mess. It's overwhelming, frankly.

I wish I had something like a single page that had the titles of the 9 games, one on top of the other. When you clicked on one it gave you a synopsis and a download link for the Windows, Linux or Mac version.

(And what is this Intel vs PowerPC Mac thing? I feel that 99% of Mac users have no idea which they have. I have a Macbook at work and I have no idea what kind it is.)

I should draw it out. I want to do this:

Code: Select all

( Cryptozookeeper)
        ( Necrotic Drift )
       ( Fallacy of Dawn )

And then when you click on one, it expands with the info. I can probably do that in Javascript.

And I gotta get away from IF Archive hosting. It's fine that it's there, but since it's setup with the interpreter / story file system in mind it doesn't fit a one-click to download solution.

I don't think there are people out there dying to try my old games but it would be nice if someone who was interested could find the way.

Hell, even the page is awkward. I need to redirect joltcountry.com/games to the page. End of story. God. 

This is terrible. Know that it sickens me.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Would some code like this help? This was super easy to set up.

http://robohara.com/software
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

You know what, I got a reply on Twitter from a friend and I wrote her yesterday to see if she'd be up for making a site similar to hers. I'll see how it goes!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

OSX 10.5, released in 2007, is the last version that supported PowerPC chips natively. 10.6 can run PowerPC apps, but does not run on PowerPC cpus.

So, PowerPC support probably ranks somewhere far below WinME, unless you're doing Dr. Tacos a favor.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

The Intel vs PPC thing is there because if I made a universal binary it would double the size (since it would contain both the Intel as well as the PPC binaries in the same application bundle). Intel users would then also get the PPC version even though they don't need it (and vice versa.)

It's amazing how even hardcore computer geeks become totally dumb when it comes to their Macs. You don't what CPU is in your computer? Really? And you've been hacking around computers for decades now?

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote:The Intel vs PPC thing is there because if I made a universal binary it would double the size (since it would contain both the Intel as well as the PPC binaries in the same application bundle). Intel users would then also get the PPC version even though they don't need it (and vice versa.)

It's amazing how even hardcore computer geeks become totally dumb when it comes to their Macs. You don't what CPU is in your computer? Really? And you've been hacking around computers for decades now?
There's two things to discuss here. The first is that I appreciate you making Hugor and putting out support for older Macs.

That can never be in question.

But you are right, I don't give a shit what's in the Macbook they gave me at work. The OS is so awful that I haven't had a chance to think about what processor is in there.

I do love that the Macintosh was dominated by the "PC" and they let their CPU be called the "PowerPC." Everything they do is dumb and awkward.

I gave up trying to keep up on video standards, as far as cards went, years ago, by the way. I used to have that shit DOWN. Now I don't even know what random string of letters and numbers would sound good. Do they still make GeForces?

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Do they still make GeForces?
Ha ha! Yeah. They do. Nothing has changed in this regard. They make two things: GeForces and Radeons. And users of each brand are still fighting it out in online forums. It's been that way for 15 years now, and it doesn't look like this will change any time soon.

Ice Cream Jonsey

So I did get a new set of web pages, I just have to install them. Thanks to genericgeekgirl for doing it. I'll put 'em up and put download zips together to try out. It looks sharp.