Cryptozookeeper for sale: $15

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack mentioned this on Twitter last night. I was out with my gal, but able to read it over my phone. I think it's safe to say that this is the sort of review everyone hopes they get when they make these things. It's like Emily's review of bruce's game Mentula Macanus. When I read this, I was like, "Wow, the reviewer really got it.

Here it is:

http://interactive-friction.blogspot.co ... erwin.html
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

People hate that first puzzle!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

bruce

Post by bruce »

pinback wrote:People hate that first puzzle!
That makes me and Golem sad.

Bruce

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Liked the review, really good descriptions, descriptiveness? anyway

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

bruce wrote:
pinback wrote:People hate that first puzzle!
That makes me and Golem sad.

Bruce
One of the less intuitive puzzles in the game... (Thoughts later!)

Flack

Post by Flack »

For me at least, it's more important that a reviewer played my game and "got" my game rather than it is that he liked my game.

I don't mind bad reviews about my books as long as the people read them and understand what they were about. I've had a few that were like, "well, this book sucks because I was expecting something else based on my own crazy thoughts."

Anyway, it sounded like that guy played the game and got what ICJ was going for!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

I will be trying to write a blog post this week talking about the first puzzle in Crypto, and what I've learned. I'm extremely behind on computer stuff at the moment, however.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

After a week of trepidation, sweaty palms, and outright anxiety at the perilous journey my signed copy of CryptoZookeeper would have to endure to be cuddled in my appreciative hands, it finally arrived!

Here is a picture of me (in armor) holding it and trying to approximate a creature from the game:

Thank you Mr. Sherwin!
Last edited by RetroRomper on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thank YOU, RetroRomper!

Sorry it took so long to arrive. It was murder trying to find a metal Sharpie pen. A lot of people say that fur is murder, but for my money, it's getting a silver permanent marker. We have all the colors of the rainbow at work, but nothing with precious metals! Times really are tough in the American workforce.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I concur! When I hatched the plan to get Eugene Jarvis to sign a copy of Fallacy of Dawn, I *knew* a silver marker was in order, but hell if it wasn't a trial to get anything worthwhile. I bought everything silver-writing-utensil-related Target had in stock. The end result, a silver pen, was good enough in that it-works-if-someone-points-out-the-signature-for-you way, but I was really shooting for what-passed-for-a-"collectible-edition"-in-the-90s, where a game would have those manufactured, completely-fake designer signatures on the front.

Oh well.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:I concur! When I hatched the plan to get Eugene Jarvis to sign a copy of Fallacy of Dawn[...]
Jarvis designed Joust and Defender at Williams, correct? Very rad to have him sign a Joust cab or even a text game (same generation!). Disappointed I missed the opportunity to purchase hard copies of Necrotic Drift and Fallacy of Dawn though... Oh well...

ICJ: Is to too early to pre-order your next game?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, there are about 30 copies of Fallacy of Dawn that are still extant in a box, ready for sale. It's just that Jason Scott took them when I left Seattle a year ago and I haven't gotten them back from him. Argh!

Anyone here live in downstate NY?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:Also, from both personal experience and the experience of several friends, I don't think Italy has a post office. Whenever you mail stuff to Italy it either ends up in the Forbidden Zone, or goes to some rich bureaucrat's house at which point he keeps what he wants and throws the rest away. Point is, it never, ever arrives at the recipient's house. If anyone from Italy orders your game you should just refund their money immediately and throw a copy of your game in the trash and save everybody a bunch of time.

Seriously, fuck Italy. You have a better chance of a Nigerian scammer actually giving you $44 million dollars than you do getting a package delivered to anyone living in Italy.
I know from comments I've heard that for some countries, (mostly the Middle East but I suppose if a country is routinely corrupt it could apply in that case) if you need to ship something and want it to get there, you should use DHL. The reason is they routinely pay bribes in order to make sure their packages get through. DHL is owned by Deutsche Post , the German <s>Post Office</s> Logistics Company, so it is not subject to the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act so the making of payments of bribes and kickbacks is not illegal.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

If you missed the tweets, ICJ was recently interviewed by Fwonk.com in regards to his hit game, Cryptozookeeper!

http://blog.fwonk.com/2011/11/five-ques ... zookeeper/

(I added the "hit" part. POSITIVE PR SPIN YO!)
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

ICJ

Post by ICJ »

I did two interviews recently about Cryptozookeeper.

The first was at FWONK, and you can read it here: http://blog.fwonk.com/2011/11/five-ques ... zookeeper/

The second was at Gnome's Lair, and can be read here: http://www.gnomeslair.com/2011/11/crypt ... rview.html

Enjoy!

Ice Cream Jonsey

The XYZZY nominations managed to generate almost 200 downloads since they were announced. According to the Internet Archive, it's at 3976. I'm kinda hoping it will push past 4,000 the next time the stats update!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I'm kinda hoping YOUR MOM will push past 4,000 the next time the stats update!

/threadshitted!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote:I'm kinda hoping YOUR MOM will push past 4,000 the next time the stats update!

/threadshitted!
She did, she banged guy number 4216 over the weekend.

What's this, another review of Cryptozookeeper? SURELY!

http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=6xbqnm ... view=16222

loafingcoyote

Post by loafingcoyote »

I had been debating whether to order Crypto or just download it when I read this:
Fwonk wrote:I think it took somewhere between 2,000 and 2,500 hours to make Cryptozookeeper.
Good lord. I'm sold.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first IF purchase in over 20 years. Frankly, it's kind of a relief not having to worry about the huge download anymore!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thanks, man. I'll drop that in the mail and send it on its way to you today!