HANGAR 22

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:I also see it seems important to require a response to "xyzzy" as well.
Nothing Happens.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

It just dawned on me that I haven't moved the last few versions to the website. Fixed.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'm afraid I may have put the cart before the horse.

Several of the games I've played for the IFComp use the author's (or player's) house as a game setting. My game does, too. I recently read a review from a player who said, "why do all new programmers write games that either take place in their house, or involve going to work?"

Well, shit. My game involves BOTH of those things.

Suddenly I'm overwhelmed by the idea that I am currently coding the biggest cliche game of all time -- and not in a cheeky tribute kinda way. I'm halfway tempted to scrap the whole thing and start over on something else. :/

Flack

Post by Flack »

Eh, screw it. Coding continues.

Version 0.4 is online. Xyzzy is implemented, as is about (although it needs to be updated). I also need to look into implementing a help system.

The GPS now works as far as getting you to Taco Flaco, although it doesn't get you back yet, at least not correctly I don't think. Tonight I need to finish the Taco Flaco drive-thru ...

Flack

Post by Flack »

0.4.01 is now online. The house is built, although not all the objects have been completed.

Flack

Post by Flack »

0.4.02 is now online. The house is more or less done. I still need to finish the bathroom and the kitchen which I dread, and I noticed that the door only works from inside the house and not outside, but other than adding a few more details, it's pretty much done.

Thanks to some help from Jonesy, the drive-thru sign is coming along as well. It is now possible to get the ten-pack of tacos, if you know how.

I've also added a help system, "about", and a player.description command (nothing exciting there yet though).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the GPS will now get you to the Taco Flaco and back. If you take it to Hanger 22 at this point it will just move you to a spare room and you'll have to restart, although you may see some random objects from the game sitting in there.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Everyone has to write one "you're in your house and going to work" game.

It's the law.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Save for some wordsmithing, the first half of the game is done. At this point you should be able to score 5 points.

Flack

Post by Flack »

>sleep

You close your eyes and, with a smile on your face for the first time in weeks, you drift off to sleep.

It's morning, you think. Confused, you look around and realize you must be at Hanger 22. While trying to remember how you got here, you hear a familiar voice.

"Hi Honey," the voice says. You turn around to see Gloria from Taco Flaco standing behind you. Honey? What in the world is going on here?

"I'm so glad you're home," she says. Home? As Gloria leans over to give you a kiss on the cheek, her moustache tickles your face. As you pull back you realize Gloria has become your mother -- well, her face has anyway. Recoiling, you see your mother now has the body of a chimpanzee. "Get back here!" you shout as your monkey mother begins climbing up some medical equipment. Just when you realize your mom is about to begin flinging poo at you, an alarm sounds! Wait, that sounds like ...

... your alarm clock. You sit straight up in bed, turning off your alarm with one hand and checking your chest for any signs of monkey poo with the other. Jesus Christ, just what kind of meat has Taco Flaco been serving lately?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Spent over an hour making sure the front door worked right. It's lockable and unlockable, as long as you have the key.

Also built the frame of Hanger 22, although you can't get there yet in-game.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Everyone has to write one "you're in your house and going to work" game.

It's the law.
You're behind the times, Ben. That law was found unconstitutional in 2006. In fact, the State of Minnesota had to come up with $65,000 to pay the other side's attorney's fees in challenging the law.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Although the final room is still not finished, the game should not be playable from beginning to end. Hopefully I can get the game's conclusion typed up tonight or tomorrow and shoot for a weekend release.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack comin' in early, upstagin' CZK.

AWK-waaard.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Hangar 22 is essentially done. I'll spend tonight finishing up the help and cheat commands, but other than that, the whole game is finished. You can download the .z5 file from the link in the original post, or try the online version as well.

Also, as someone else pointed out, I've been misspelling "Hangar" as "Hanger" for six months now. That's been fixed (except for in the links at the moment).

Flack

Post by Flack »

Error when you talk to the Astronaut: FIXED
Pen disappears for no reason: FIXED
Weird scoring issue with gloves: FIXED

Prevent game from getting into an unwinnable state: FIXED?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Cleaned up a bit of "spaghetti code" today that was printing things posthumously.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:Cleaned up a bit of "spaghetti code" today that was printing things posthumously.
So now I understand where Dollar Tree got all those 2 pound packages of spaghetti from. Thanks! They were a great deal.

I have no idea how come one brand of spaghetti, in a plastic bag, is 2 pounds for $1, while another brand, merely because it's in a box, is 1 pound for the same $1.

I wouldn't think the packaging made that much difference.

Now, in the case of sugar it's definitely worth it. Target's house brand of sugar is $2.49 for five pounds in a paper bag. Domino sugar in a 1-pound cardboard can with a plastic dispenser lid - like people use at coffee service in offices and some restaurants - is available at Dollar Tree. That makes their sugar twice as expensive at the dollar store - 5 pounds would be $5 but 1/2 that at Target - but you can completely seal the can as protection against insects and other contamination. And 1 pound might not go bad as fast as 5 pounds because you'll use it up faster, and the cans that you're not yet using if you buy more than one aren't opened until you do use them.

I had some sugar in a bowl sitting uncovered in the cabinet; I went to look for something else and saw it was covered with green mold after a few days, so I had to throw it and the plastic bowl it was in away. (I decided the bowls are cheap enough I wasn't going to try to sterilize it; I just presumed the bowl was also contaminated and threw it in the recycling bin.)

If you've either got a storage container to hold it properly or use sugar very quick, the $2.50 one is a better buy, but for those who don't use it much or don't have storage for it the $1 for a one pound can is a better choice.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Can you please find a different thread to shit in? Please?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

OK, I've got the evening free after I get a haircut, so I should be able to play through tonight, Flack. I'll send you an e-mail tonight when I get started.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Thanks to everyone who has played the game and sent me their transcripts, errors and suggestions. ICJ has been instrumental in guiding me toward the light. And on at least two occasions I wasted his entire evening by having him play incomplete/improper builds, which makes me feel terrible.

All of the suggestions I got were valid, although I probably won't implement all of them. Some were like, "hey this is broke." I fixed those. Some were like, "hey, the game should respond in this manner." I fixed those too. Then some were like, "you know what would be awesome? If the entire game was different." And I'm not saying that some of those weren't completely valid suggestions, it's just that I'm about done with this game. It would be like looking at a Honda Civic about to come off the assembly line and saying, "you know what? This would really rock as a rear-engine car!" And then you look at it and go, yeah, it probably would, and the best thing is to go ahead and start selling these Civics and come out with a better car next year that has a rear-engine.

One of the things I hate in text adventure games is just feeling absolutely lost and hopeless and I didn't get that comment back from any of my beta testers, which is great. Hangar 22 is not a particularly difficult game. Everything's pretty much laid out in front of you; in fact, I put in several safeguards to prevent players from getting the game into an unwinnable state.